Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 07:05 AM   #1
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Help with decal making - Adobe Illustrator

Hi
I'm trying to do some custom decals for a build and I have some questions that I would like your help with.
I'm working in Adobe Illustrator 10 (wich I'm not familiar to, but I know photoshop quite well)

First question is a basic Illustrator question. I opened a new document with 10*15 cm dimensions. The file looks weird though, there is one area in the middle that is 10*15 cm but around that is a HUGE area. I thought that it could have something to do with the print layout and the DPI settings but I imagine that this would mean I would see the same image in the larger area as in the 10*15 cm square. Can someone explain the connection between the two?

To my real question. I have a scan of a decal sheet and I shall rip one logo from that one to use in my scheme. The scan is a jpeg image. Due to the pixel layout of that format it is not directly usable in Illustrator wich uses vector graphics. How would you go about "lifting" that logo from the scanned image to use it in Illustrator? I need to somehow mark it and copy it. The background color of the jpeg is another issue.
The logo is in the right size so that's no problem, but the color is wrong. Wich is the easiest way to change that?

well, any hints.
best regards
Joel
Old 10-23-2005, 10:09 AM   #2
Vric
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Vric Send a message via MSN to Vric Send a message via Yahoo to Vric
Re: Help with decal making - Adobe Illustrator

Download logos in Vector format: http://www.brandsoftheworld.com

There is some technique used to change jpeg in vector (I used that for Flash) but most of the time, the result is very bad because of the artifact of the jpeg compression, and the noise the scanner make.

So I think the only real way to get good result, is to use the jpeg as template and remake all decals using Illustrator.
Vric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 12:11 PM   #3
gionc
Authorized Vendor

Send a message via Skype™ to gionc
so, a lot of questions
first: work area: nothing strange, you need only to get used wit AI, some notes:

- HUGE AREA: isn't really giant, abt 5600x5600 mm if you need work something bigger(billboards), you must work in scale; this is your mounting table
- work area: be sure abt units, basically AI works in millimeters it seem you made a post stamp
- use that to align work area with your preferred print layout, pay attention: print edges&margins could be visible only if Playout is bigger than WA
- dpi setting on AI preferences: this setting could be useful only when you print vector with raster image (like tiff or jpg) imported: only a ratio of abt 2,5xdpi setted will sended to the printer, to save data & time, if you use vector is the printer driver (or other PS interpreter, SW or HW) that rasterise the vector at printer's definition.

- VECTOR/RASTER: the best way is for sure use vector logos, you can also use raster image in AI (IMPORT) , you can manage some tonal control but the best is do that in photoshop: for ex. if you've a 2400dpi scanner, scan decal sheet at that res. in 1/1 and, from PS interpolate res to abt 300 dpi: could be pretty cool.
- wrong colours: 1: be sure abt yours colors profile, the safe way is work in CMYK with a swop15 or at least 20 profile, for change coloured areas try "selective correction" or "replace color" from PS, the last is mask or path your area and manage a part
(hoping in right translations, I never had a UK adobe suite)
Old 10-24-2005, 01:50 AM   #4
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Help with decal making - Adobe Illustrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vric
Download logos in Vector format: http://www.brandsoftheworld.com

There is some technique used to change jpeg in vector (I used that for Flash) but most of the time, the result is very bad because of the artifact of the jpeg compression, and the noise the scanner make.

So I think the only real way to get good result, is to use the jpeg as template and remake all decals using Illustrator.

Ok, I'll think I go with the logos as you say Vric. Seems to be the easiest way from where I'm standing.
Thanks Gionc for your explanations.
/Joel
Old 10-26-2005, 04:05 AM   #5
welshman
AF Newbie

use freehand

Use macromedia freehand mate much easier!

welshie
welshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 01:12 AM   #6
Rtuned
AF Enthusiast

Place your jpeg file in your illustrator page. But usually I will set my page as A4 size as mostly I print in A4, you could choose your page too. "Place" is in your "File", Scale down your jpeg(if is big) to the size you want.
As for me, I would prefer to place my jpeg/bitmap pict on illustrator and lock it. Then redraw it into vector form. It look sharper when you print and even if you want to size it down to 2mm size.

Rtuned
Old 10-27-2005, 01:57 AM   #7
Hiroboy
www.hiroboy.com vendor

Send a message via ICQ to Hiroboy Send a message via AIM to Hiroboy Send a message via Yahoo to Hiroboy Send a message via Skype™ to Hiroboy

I have a large collection of Logos mainly Japanese stuff in vector format I have created or downloaded over the years, so maybe I or others have what you are after.

I also use Illustrator and create mine the way Rtune does.
Old 10-27-2005, 02:35 AM   #8
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Thanks guys. I managed to fix it through brandsoftheworld that Vric tipped me about. But, thanks again.
/Joel

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD