Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Wrangler
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 09:23 PM   #16
red MX-3
AF Newbie

I've got a 2000 TJ with 4" lift. I had 33x12.5 on 15x8 rims with around 3.5" of backspacing and no rubbing anywhere. I just switched to 35x13.5 on 15x10 rims and same backspacing. I trimmed the front fenders, increasing the arch where the tire was hitting and keeping the reflector at the front corner and now have no rubbing at all front or back.
red MX-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 11:24 PM   #17
twisterTJ
AF Newbie

I'm running 33x12.5x15 with a 4" lift on a '99 TJ. Some rub on fender flares in extreme flex situations, otherwise no problems and great clearance.

"When I heard the storm I made haste to join it; for in storms nature has always something extra fine to show us."--John Muir 1897
twisterTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 04:11 PM   #18
sderks1285
AF Newbie

Re: Tire size and clearance

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredjacksonsan
There have been numerous threads about what tire sizes can be mounted with no lift, 2" lift, and 4" lift, etc. Maybe it would be helpful to have one thread to document what people have.

New Wranglers can be purchased from the factory with either 30x9.5R15, or the Goodyear MT/R 245/75R16. Doing the math, the MT/R comes out to 30.46x9.64. This is without suspension modification.

If you have a larger tire and/or lift, post here so others can have a reference.

I have a 98 Wrangler TJ with a 4" Super Lift. I was able to put 33 X12.5
BF Goodrich M/T with no problems.. I was told that if I wanted to go with the 35" tires I would need to put a 2" body lift also.
sderks1285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 09:46 PM   #19
csparks78
AF Regular

Ok so if i read this right I am going to get new tires in a week or so and Im thinking about getting 31 x 10.5's I should be ok with a stock 01 for moderate offroad?? I have american racing rims are they better than stock? Or should I go with 30's to be safe? I am getting a 2.5 or 3" lift soon after will 30's look funny with that lift?
csparks78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 06:16 AM   #20
macdad626
AF Regular

Yes they will fit but they could rub under flexing and tight turns. i would put a 2 inch coil spacer lift on if i were you cause then you would have good clearence on the tires on and off the road. i had 31 1050 on mine when i got it with stock hight and it went down the road fine but when i was wheelin i was getting all kinds of rub i thought i was gunna rip the fenders off. so if you plan on going off road you need the 2 inch lift if not going off road with them go for it. This is my advice
By the way the coil spacers are not hard at all to install a monkey could do it.
~Justin
macdad626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 08:35 AM   #21
Ray H
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by csparks78
Ok so if i read this right I am going to get new tires in a week or so and Im thinking about getting 31 x 10.5's I should be ok with a stock 01 for moderate offroad?? I have american racing rims are they better than stock? Or should I go with 30's to be safe? I am getting a 2.5 or 3" lift soon after will 30's look funny with that lift?
If you get 31s, with no lift, you are better staying with the stock wheels. The backspacing on most aftermarket wheels kick the tire out too far and it will rub the flare while flexed. Ideally you want about 5" of back space on an 8" wheel to run 31s with no lift. 31s and no lift shouldnt rub the flare with stock wheels. They may rub the lower control arm a little but thats an easy fix by adding a washer under the steering stop.
I think it will look funny with 30s and a lift. The 31s may even look funny with 3" of lift.
I agree with the post above about getting a simple spacer lift to run with the 31s, not because of the rubbing issue, but because a spacer lift looks nicely proportioned with 31s and for moderate wheeling, it does very well. If you like wheeling theres no doubt you will eventually want to run 33s, then you can step up to a nice 3 or 4 inch lift and tackle all the problems related to that.
Ray H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 07:10 PM   #22
csparks78
AF Regular

Re: Re: Tire size and clearance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray H
If you get 31s, with no lift, you are better staying with the stock wheels. The backspacing on most aftermarket wheels kick the tire out too far and it will rub the flare while flexed. Ideally you want about 5" of back space on an 8" wheel to run 31s with no lift. 31s and no lift shouldnt rub the flare with stock wheels. They may rub the lower control arm a little but thats an easy fix by adding a washer under the steering stop.
I think it will look funny with 30s and a lift. The 31s may even look funny with 3" of lift.
I agree with the post above about getting a simple spacer lift to run with the 31s, not because of the rubbing issue, but because a spacer lift looks nicely proportioned with 31s and for moderate wheeling, it does very well. If you like wheeling theres no doubt you will eventually want to run 33s, then you can step up to a nice 3 or 4 inch lift and tackle all the problems related to that.

Thanks for the advice very helpful I think I am going to go with the 31's for now I need tires asap (I popped one the other day offroad) as far as the coil spacers What do you think about these? http://www.4wd.com/newsite/shop/prod...asp?pid=910325 or http://www.rocky-road.com/jeepbudget.html

Is that what you are talking about? Or is there something better. I kinda need to be cheap right now until I can get a real lift. Those tires are going to take a pretty big chunck out of my wallet too!!

Last edited by csparks78; 01-07-2006 at 12:49 AM.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:00 PM   #23
csparks78
AF Regular

Ok I just checked on the rims I have and it looks like I have about -1". They are A.R. Outlaw II's 15x8. Thats not enough to run 31's stock huh? I have a 2" coil spacer on order from rocky road also, so that will help right?

http://www.americanracing.com/wheels...d&section=ORT#
Old 01-09-2006, 06:09 AM   #24
Ray H
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by csparks78
Ok I just checked on the rims I have and it looks like I have about -1". They are A.R. Outlaw II's 15x8. Thats not enough to run 31's stock huh? I have a 2" coil spacer on order from rocky road also, so that will help right?

http://www.americanracing.com/wheels...d&section=ORT#
With that offset (back space of 3.75) I dont know what size tire you have now but I'll bet a 31X10.50 sticks out past the edge of the flare. When flexed with the front sway bar disconnected, theres a good chance it'll catch the flare.
Nothing wrong with 4WD or RR stuff. Here are the things you will need in a spacer kit. Obviously the spacers, extended bump stops but only if you stay with 3.75 BS wheels and longer shocks or shock extentions (ie. RR kit). Another item some kits include is a rear trackbar relocation bracket. This isnt needed but is a nice feature. Even if you use stock, or close to stock BSed wheels, you may consider extended bumpstops because they will save your stock springs over the long run, not a big deal if you will be going bigger in a while anyway.
Old 02-17-2006, 04:27 AM   #25
ratpackman
AF Newbie

QUESTION FOR YOU GUYS: I currently have 31x10.50 BFG All Terrains on my YJ. I put bigger shackles on when I got the tires but they only give about an inch and I really want to put a suspension lift on. My question is, should I go with a 2" (or 2.5") lift? Would a 3" or 4" look goofy with 31x10.50 tires? I'm definitley not going any bigger on the tires because I only have a 4 cyl engine with a (gag!) automatic transmission. I'm cool with only a 2.5" suspension lift but for some reason they seem to be a hundred or so dollars more than what I can get a 4" for--probably since the 4" is much more common. What do you guys think? And if anyone happens to have any photos of a 3" or 4" lift with 31x10.50's I would love to see them.
ratpackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 06:20 AM   #26
macdad626
AF Regular

hey ratpack what is your e mail ill send you pics of 31:1250's with a 2.5 lift
macdad626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 11:47 AM   #27
Ray H
AF Enthusiast

Heres my YJ back when it had 31s. It this pic, its got between 4"-5" lift. brand new RE 4.5" extreme duty lift on it.

Old 02-18-2006, 02:31 PM   #28
ratpackman
AF Newbie

Hey Macdad 626, my email is l_e_hill@hotmail.com and I would love to see those pics. Thanks man.

And Ray H, thanks for the pic. That lift looks pretty nice, and it looks like you got a green and tan Rio Grande just like I do. Thanks again man.
ratpackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 07:19 AM   #29
tdg119
AF Newbie

I have 33 x 12.5 on my 01' Wrangler. I don't have any lift kit (don't go off roading so it's not an issue). The tires rub when you turn the wheel full clock, which is only really in tight parking space situations.
tdg119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 12:26 PM   #30
wilwith1l
AF Enthusiast

I just threw some Mickey Thompson Baja Belted 34x11.50 R16's on my 05 Rubicon's factory 16x8s. I'm runnin4.5" coils, it scrubs at full lock, and when I disconnect the sway bar.
wilwith1l is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Wrangler