Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > MG > General Discussion
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 08:53 AM   #1
grad.student
AF Newbie

How will they do it?

We have all heard that MG is taking a big step back into the automotive world by restarting the assembly line in the UK (sometime next year, I think) and launching the TF across the pond, in the US.

So I propose the following questions:

1) How do you think they will do it?

2) What do you think they need to do to market the MG brand back into notoriety? (Cost vs. style?)

3) What would you do if you were trying to resurrect a brand like MG.

I am looking forward to hearing everyone’s responses.
grad.student is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 02:39 PM   #2
Hudson
Old Mod

Re: How will they do it?

I know this is an old post, but I've been away from this forum for quite some time.

Nanjing bought the rights to the MG brand and their products. Production began for the MG TF in Longbridge in May and the MG 7 (formerly the MG ZT) started in China earlier this year. The MG TF coupe is said to begin production in Ardmore, Oklahoma, in 2008.

Some of the people associated with the Ardmore project have resigned, so I'm not so sure that part will come to fruition. But US sales are said to be part of the plan.

MG should have been the name of the Sterling sedan back in the 1980s. If this had happened, I think the company could have succeeded...or done better. At the end of the Sterling's life, Rover had readied a coupe version designed specifically for the US. And while the MG RV8 wouldn't have passed US regulations, the MGF wasn't too far behind that, which could have spurred further sales of MG in the US.
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > MG > General Discussion