Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 06:43 PM   #16
Miles Prower
AF Newbie

Re: What size/type wheels do you use?

sigh.

I get what your trying to tell me, and as someone who has alot of track experience in 240SXs I can tell you that your grasping at straws.

and, yes it would be slower with 17s, because theres no 17s as wide with as short of a rolling diameter that fit. Thats why they use a 285/30/18.

a 245/40/17 setup will have no downfalls compared to a 16in setup, end of story.

You can fit 350Z rotors or STi brakes
they won't over heat as quickly as 225s
you won't have to deal with the sidewall flex
they ride well, its still a really tall sidewall.
its by no means over tire'd so it works for drifting or stock KAs.

Don't backtrack on to RX7s either, they need just as much tire if not more.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:27 PM   #17
slideways...
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Prower
sigh.

I get what your trying to tell me, and as someone who has alot of track experience in 240SXs I can tell you that your grasping at straws.

and, yes it would be slower with 17s, because theres no 17s as wide with as short of a rolling diameter that fit. Thats why they use a 285/30/18.

a 245/40/17 setup will have no downfalls compared to a 16in setup, end of story.

You can fit 350Z rotors or STi brakes
they won't over heat as quickly as 225s
you won't have to deal with the sidewall flex
they ride well, its still a really tall sidewall.
its by no means over tire'd so it works for drifting or stock KAs.

Don't backtrack on to RX7s either, they need just as much tire if not more.
i wont backtrack. we meet somewhere in the middle. ironically for our different approaches to the tire/wheel question we both agree that 245/40/17 are basically what to suggest to people who cant figure it out themselves. its a good comprimise i guess.

im not going to keep on with that fast s13 on 18s because i dont know the car well. im sure they have a suspension so stiff that it can make full use of that ridiculous grip. which is sort of my point. keep a car balanced. its always a good thing.

Rice Police #1. dont argue with me just because you are a riceboy and/or have sand in your vagina. i am superior. and i am smarter than you. end of story.
slideways... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 01:02 PM   #18
93-240SX-COUPE
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to 93-240SX-COUPE

Ok, so I went back to look at those 17x7 Motegi Track Traklite's and it says the recommended tire size is 205/45/17. Would it even be possible to fit 245's on those rims or would the rims have to be a 17x9 setup to fit the 245?

And I dont think my question was ever answered before u two got into it:

"I dont really understand wheel construction, so whats the difference between those (Im talking about the 2 types mentioned below)? I would assume for regular daily driving there really isnt a difference. Right?

1pc. Gravity Cast w/ MAT Technology (Enkeis) vs. 1pc. Forged (Motegis)"

By wheel construction I mean how its made like the forged or gravity cast.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:40 PM   #19
slideways...
AF Enthusiast

17x7 are for civics. i really wouldnt put more than a 215 width on there.

17x8 you can go 235 17x9 245. these are rough estimates. depends on how much stretch you want.
a 205 is 8 inches wide but fits ok on a 6 inch wide rim. i believe most websites have a range of tire widths for each rim or something, just go by that. the wider the tire the more outright grip, but too wide and the sidewall will puff out too much and make it sluggish. and if your driving in snow/ice, wide tires are not good.

as far as rim construction goes, basically theres no difference for the street. forged is forged, the enkeis are basically cast spokes on a spun forged rim

http://www.enkei.com/technology.html

Quote:
5. HOW ARE ENKEI WHEELS MANUFACTURED?
1-piece cast aluminum wheels. As the name implies a one-piece wheel is made of a single piece cast aluminum from A-356 grade aluminum. All ENKEI wheels are heat treated for maximum strength. ENKEI uses two different processes in manufacturing
1-piece cast aluminum wheels:
A. MAP (Most Advanced Production) The basic casting method is Gravity Die Casting, using a 900 Tilt Pour process. Using a highly automated system, each process is connected in a single piece flow system that transports wheels from the melting process, through Heat Treatment and on to machining processes.
B. MAT Most Advanced Technology MAT is a new technology for producing an aluminum wheel, that is a combination of MAP and Flow-Forming forging technology. ENKEI applies MAT to High Performance aftermarket wheels and special Performance components of Original Equipment (OE) customers, such as 2003 Mitsubishi EVOVIII and 2004 Acura TL Limited.

6.WHY MAT?
A.The M.A.T process has a drastic impact on the micro structure of aluminum and result in outstanding improvement of the mechanical property of the material. The process of spinning the rim allows a Metal Flow in the rim part, which resemble the property obtained from forging process. The control of the metal flow in the rim section result in finer and more even aluminum structure.
B. In the past decade wheels and tires are getting larger, so in order to reduce weight under a vehicle's suspension, it is important to reduce the wheel weight. The M.A.T process improves the mechanical property of the rim section by shaving the rim's thickness and therefore reducing wheel weight. This latest manufacturing technology and wheel engineering is a direct transfer from racing technology.
C. The process to manufacture forged wheels and the material necessary to produce them are expensive to manufacture. Many end users understand the benefits of the forged wheels but they cannot afford the high cost of these wheels. ENKEI's new generation of light weight forged wheels, made with the M.A.T Process, achieves light weight, strong and anti-flex properties while keeping the cost accessible to the end user. The high performance properties and the reasonable cost is a very important benefit of the MAT wheel
D. The weakest point of forged wheels is the fact that it limits the freedom of design. ENKEI has years of experience developing light-weight cast wheels using Its high-tech casting technology, MAP. Combining Enkei's high-tech casting technology with the new M.A.T Process, Enkei develops new products with similar performance to forged wheels without the limitation of design.

2-piece - 2-piece wheels are made from a cast center welded into a spun forged barrel. This type of wheel comes in a variety of offsets and finishes.
3-piece – 3 piece wheels are made from a cast center and 2 sections of the rim assemble with bolts. This type of wheels comes in a variety of offsets and finishes.
Aluminum Forged wheels - One of the most advanced methods of manufacturing wheels today. Forging compresses the blank wheel by using millions of pounds of pressure. The result is a wheel that is much stronger and lighter than a
standard cast aluminum wheel. Enkei use this process to manufacture the Truck/SUV styles F5 and F6.
Racing Wheels – Forged Magnesium, forged aluminum and MAT. These wheels are available on a limited basis to supply ENKEI racing activities in the highest level of auto and motorcycle racing around the world.

Rice Police #1. dont argue with me just because you are a riceboy and/or have sand in your vagina. i am superior. and i am smarter than you. end of story.
slideways... is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX