Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan 350Z/370Z | Infiniti G35/G37 Coupe
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Nissan 350Z/370Z | Infiniti G35/G37 Coupe Includes the VQ35DE, VQ37VHR - Z33 and Z34.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-21-2002, 11:54 PM   #1
ParadoxxNYC
AF Newbie

350Z vs. G35 coupe

Don't roll your eyes just yet. I've been a Z fan since I could drive a car. And I'm just waiting for my lease to run out so I can get the new one. But from what I've seen about the G35 coupe, it looks damn good. And performance isn't very far behind the Z either. The car looks more sophisticated, more refined. Same engine, different suspension, different handling. And the price is only 4-6 grand more than the Z. I'm a bit perplexed here. I'm dying for the Z, but now I see its more "grown up" cousin from Infiniti. I like both, but I know that soon I will have to decide. What are your thoughts on the G35 coupe, from what you've seen/heard anyway.
Old 09-24-2002, 03:41 PM   #2
350z4me
AF Newbie

I believe that the G35 coupe has 315hp and has rear seats wtich is a plus, dont get me wrong i no the z is a sports car but.... no rear seats kind of turns me off but i'd still drive one. I've also seen ppl say that the G35 will have a turbo version but i would think that would have a realy larg price tag, to big for me.
350z4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 04:07 PM   #3
MattyG
AF Enthusiast

Tough call. They both look to be awesome cars. I like the look of Infiniti a little better, but the Z seems more sports oriented.....too close to call.
Old 09-24-2002, 05:57 PM   #4
ParadoxxNYC
AF Newbie

See, that's my point exactly. Too close to call. Thank god I'll be in the new car market only next August so both will be available for a test-drive. And btw, the G35 is around 280 ponies, from what the infiniti website says. If, after I drive both, I don't see a drastic difference, I'll probably go with the G35. I know, I should be burned at the stake for saying that. But I'm not going to race every 18 year old whose daddy dumped 40G into a Vette. I'm getting a car for personal love of driving a performance vehicle. For all rice-heads out there, and penis-measuring kiddies, what I'm saying may sound dumb. But I'm 25, and if I'm spending my money on a car, I want to be sure that I'm getting the best car I can get in my price range.
Old 09-25-2002, 02:21 PM   #5
w0mbat
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to w0mbat
I have a bunch of friends drooling over the G35 coupe already. At least 2 of them will be buying it within a year. Also, with a base of 29K, this car might end up being the Honda Accord of the near-luxury market. I like to think that the 350Z with its unabashedly sports car orientation and only 2 seats will be a little more exclusive. Also, there is a lot of history behind the Z that just makes the deal for me. My first foray into non-Bavarian sports car land has to be in something with a heritage.
Its a close call but I'm going with the Z.
w0mbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 09:23 PM   #6
tomlong
AF Enthusiast

I have the same problem I will have to make the decision because I will own one or the other within the next year. I like the rearend, tailights, and turn markers on the G35 better; however I am keeping my accord as a daily driver since I spend the large majority of my day driving around.So the reasoning for me buying a SPORTS car is to not have a back seat, however the G35 has been changing my philosophy.
In regards to performance it is a mute issue because within the next two years there will be so many aftermarket parts for both of them that you'll be able to make them perform as well as you want or can afford.

Very hard call! G35, no Z, no G35, no Z because they can be bought in that Flame orange paint.
tomlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 01:38 AM   #7
VroomGal
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to VroomGal
Ok - according to the October 2002 issue of Motor Trend that I hold in my hand right now the Infiniti G35 SEDAN has the base engine that is a 3.5L/260HP DOHC v-6 While the COUPE has the optional 3.5L/280hp DOHC v6. The curb weight of the infinity is 3336lbs. while the curb weight for the Z is an estimated 3150lbs. The base price is $27,100 to $30,000.. I assume the optional engine either starts at the $30k mark or is somewhere close to it. While the styling is more refined and it does have a back seat, it also carried the "grand-pa wanted a sports car look" Thats just my opinion. I dont know the track record on Inifiniti's but wouldn't it cost more for parts and service on one than a Nissan? I speak biased b/c I just put a deposit on my 350z on Friday and I'm 1/2 way trying to convince myself that I'm making the right decision as far as ordering now instead of waiting to see if I like the G35. The Z is on the G35 chasis, uses the same engine and all.. but I'd say the basic difference is sport vs. luxury. It's obvious that the Inifiniti is going to be the luxury version of the Z.. lacking in performance while gaining a few pounds (maybe the infiniti logo isn't on a restrictive diet like Nissan) I think your decision should be based on luxury or sport.. which one do you want more?? The G isn't quite as refined when it comes to power but if you want a great combination that and luxury and creature comforts.. I say go for it.. The Z is geared towards a younger audience who wants more sport and less frills. How old do you feel??

Oh yeah.. and I love the look I see people get in the Z.. the classic "that's a nissan?!?!" look.. I think that look is well worth the price
VroomGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 04:39 PM   #8
devaraj
AF Newbie

I am (a very young) 54 years of age and have been driving Sport Coupes for many years. I now want a real sports car, and the 350Z blows me away with its looks and performance. Believe me, the Infiniti G35 is beautiful, but it will always just be a Sports Coupe - - the Z is definitely my Sports Car of choice !!
devaraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 05:16 PM   #9
Stangduo
AF Newbie

I agree with Vroomgal, Luxury vs Sport is the choice you need to make. Will you be able to make the G35 fast, yes, but you will probably never be able to whip it around corners like you can the Z. By the same token if you want 2 people besides you in your car then the G35 is the option. Either way I dont think you will lose.

Best just to test drive both and pick the one that makes your heart sing with joy.
Stangduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 12:55 AM   #10
VroomGal
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to VroomGal
Wooohooo, I got my new issue of Motor Trend today and uh.. buddy... there's a purdy little article in there about the G35 coupe.. It's very pretty, inside and out. Although, since for the past 4 weeks my eyes have seen nothing BUT the z's.. it actually looks a little awkward.. you know, so similar but not? The interior is GORGEOUS though, especially compared to the not so pretty interior of the Z... so again, its luxury vs. sport!!
VroomGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 11:19 PM   #11
boingo82
Can't polish a turd.

Quote:
Originally posted by VroomGal
.... I dont know the track record on Inifiniti's but wouldn't it cost more for parts and service on one than a Nissan? ...
Actually most of the mechanicals for these cars are the same, so nothing stops you from getting either car serviced either place. Infinitis typically have better reliability that Nissans, because they are assembled in Japan, but both makes are still excellent. Infiniti service locally is $75 hourly, and so is Nissan, the difference being that Infiniti washes/vacuums your car and gives you a loaner if the service is warranty. However that is the local Nissan dealership, I don't know what the national policy/price is.

I think in the G35 vs. 350Z decision, it all comes down to whether you prefer pure performance or you'd rather have a little more lux. It's a personal decision, and in my humble opinion, you can't go wrong with either car.
Old 10-06-2002, 03:58 PM   #12
the_bode
AF Newbie

Ugh... Tough call... I just put down a deposit for a 6sp Touring 350Z, which is going to run me about 35K + tax (DVD navigation and other small extras bump up the price). The G35 looks awesome, definitely more refined, but it is a little longer, heavier, and tuned more for comfort than for pure performance. Also, the Touring package on the 350Z has pretty much all the same little luxuries (leather, Bose audio, heated seats, etc.) as the G35. Too close to call, like others have said.

It all comes down lifestyle in the end, I guess. I'm 28, unmarried, and at this point the Z looks like the better choice (especially w/ La Mans Sunset exterior! ), but if I were ten years older with a wife and kids I would probably opt for the G35. As it stands now, one of my friends is getting a G35, so I'll have ample opportunity to compare the two--I look forward to running circles around him!
the_bode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 08:40 PM   #13
tomlong
AF Enthusiast

I have a question. You said you just put down a deposit on the 350Z 6M touring edition in LeMans Sunset. I was about do do the exact same thing; however I want to check out the interior of the Track Model and rate the stereo in the touring model. What made you decide that the leather and stereo were a better choice than the Brembo's, superlight wheels, and zero lift rearend? I wish that nissan had not offered two top of the line models with different options. I want a track model with the Bose stereo and leather interior. It does not make much sense to me, but I would like to know if you had the opportunity to compare radios, and comfort(seats) between the two models.

I live in the middle of nowhere and my local dealer just got his Nissan Franchise two months ago so needless to say he will not have any to check out for another month or so, and I am very hesitant to place my order without comparing the two up close.
tomlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 10:31 AM   #14
squallz3
AF Newbie

I think the infiniti is better because of the Brembo breaks, I've got them on my Supra and that right there is worth the 3 grand
squallz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 02:15 PM   #15
ZRocka
AF Newbie

350Z vs G35 SportCoupe

I disagree. The Z350 is sportier, better handeling and value for dollar I think is the best sportscar you can buy. The Brembo brakes are available on the Z just as on the G35. You seem to have more options to go with the base package or the Track, where as in the G35 you are limited. The 2+2 is bennificial if you are looking for extra room or somewherer to stuff the kids. But for Myself, if I was concerned about backsets... I wouldn't consider the Z in the first place. I have had the chance to test drive both. I love the Z and put my deposit down. Happy driving all.
ZRocka is offline   Reply With Quote