Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > TrailBlazer | Trailblazer EXT
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 01:02 AM   #1
GC1999
AF Newbie

Thinking about buying, have questions

I am thinking about buying a 07 Trailblazer but before I do, I was wondering if some of the more technical people here could help me out with the following:

Can the Daytime Running Lights be deactivated (or even better not ordered) by the dealer or is this going to be a problem? Heard rumors GM would need to provide them with codes to disable them? Can the dealership disable them in other ways if the Tech II requires a code (cannot imagine this to be true but only have experience with the DRB III not Tech II)? If possible, provide detailed instructions since I would like to know how much of an issue this is going to be or if I am better off with a non-GMC car.

Second question is regarding the Twilight Sentinel headlights. Can the dealership program the car to disable them or is a hardware solution neccessary? Any potential problems ordering it from Chevrolet without automatic headlights? What kind of modification would be required to disable the feature (in case it cannot be programmed)?

Third question, I am not even sure if this is true but do they have intelligent windshield wipers on the car that will not work like regular windshield wipers (is this optional?)? If so, how can this be disabled so I don't have to trust a sensor to ensure I can see during rain? Is this a programmed feature or is a hardware modification required? If hardware modification is required, I would also appreciate detailed information on what has to be modified.

I appreciate any help but please, I need technical information as I am aware that there are DRL killers...etc but I am not going to spend money on those if I buy a car new from the dealership. Just in case GM dealerships are anything like DC, it is better to have the technical information.

Thanks again...
GC1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 06:41 AM   #2
rodeo02
AF Enthusiast

Re: Thinking about buying, have questions

For 1 & 2, I don't know of a software solution to those and doubt a dealer would touch them due to liability concerns. Check your PM's for a harware solution for DRL killing. As far as the w/s wiper thing, maybe that is an option? but maybe not as GM is continuously decontenting the GMT360 platform.

Joel
Old 11-30-2006, 08:09 AM   #3
GC1999
AF Newbie

Thanks for the quick response though I was aware of that modification, this part disqualifies it: "Your automatic headlights will be disabled, but your parking lights will still come on when it is dark out."

There should be no liability concerns, it is just GM policy (they invented North American DRLs). Federal law does not require any of those options (damn it feels good not to live in Canada). The bigger concern is that any home-made device will void my warranty unless the dealer performs the job (according to GM standard procedure). Now if the BCM can be programmed, that would be the ideal case otherwise I am sure GM has a procedure in place to disable those annoying "features". If proper procedure is not followed, a dealership might not honor my warranty if something should go wrong with the electrical system.

Any GM mechanics that have experience with that kind of procedure around here?
Old 11-30-2006, 02:27 PM   #4
95_ESi_Person
AF Newbie

There is a way to turn of the DRLs. Simply push the dome override button next to the dimmer knob 4 times.
95_ESi_Person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 02:53 PM   #5
GMMerlin
I know stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC1999
I don't know if GM mechanics would know this information, but I know GM TECHNICIANS would.

The 07 TB has a DRL defeat switch on the Headlamp switch that will defeat both the auto headlamps and the DRLs..this switch must be activated manually.
You can order the vehicle with option T62 DRL delete..

As far as the Rain sense wipers, you can manually turn on the wipers at any time, you do not have to rely on the module to do it for you.

There are some wiring tricks you can do to disable these features, but since you want this information from a GM mechanic, let them tell you.
GM WCT
Yea..I work at a DEALERSHIP....got a problem with that?

Want to diagnose cars like the Pros? FOR SALE: OTC Perception 2 channel Labscope (badged as a Matco Reality)
This is my personal labscope that I use to diagnose waveforms, like new, comes with leads and training video
PM Me for details
GMMerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 06:28 PM   #6
GC1999
AF Newbie

How about this: Oh mighty GM technician, enlighten this poor and worthless soul...

Is the defeat switch latching or do I need to deactivate each time I start the vehicle?

If I order the vehicle with option T62, will that include the disabled headlamps? And what happened to GM policy to only allow T62 on law enforcement vehicles or is that just a rumor?

Oh, so what does the RainSense do for me, was under the impression it would not let me turn on the wipers but decide for me kinda?

If a GM technician would have the time and be willing to put in the effort, I would greatly appreciate some more in depth information so I could theoretically forward them to the dealership technician (in case they turn out to be just a mechanic)...
Old 11-30-2006, 06:59 PM   #7
maxwedge
A990 racer

Lightbulb Re: Thinking about buying, have questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC1999
Thanks for the quick response though I was aware of that modification, this part disqualifies it: "Your automatic headlights will be disabled, but your parking lights will still come on when it is dark out."

There should be no liability concerns, it is just GM policy (they invented North American DRLs). Federal law does not require any of those options (damn it feels good not to live in Canada). The bigger concern is that any home-made device will void my warranty unless the dealer performs the job (according to GM standard procedure). Now if the BCM can be programmed, that would be the ideal case otherwise I am sure GM has a procedure in place to disable those annoying "features". If proper procedure is not followed, a dealership might not honor my warranty if something should go wrong with the electrical system.

Some states require DRL, so check into that number 1, number 2 the Magnusson/Moss act prevents the new car MFG's from voiding the warranty based soley on mods done to the car/truck unless the performed modifications can be directly linked to a failure. In addition GM policies and procedures require that no alterations can be made to a car/truck outside of the original design and manufacture. Add ons such as running boards, caps and the like are exlcuded in general form the oe requirements.

Last edited by maxwedge; 12-01-2006 at 06:58 AM.
maxwedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 09:17 PM   #8
GC1999
AF Newbie

You are mistaken, DRLs are not required in any US state (Canadians are screwed). There are actually state laws (or were) making them illegal until GM lobbied to make them legal under federal law.

Thanks for the notice about the M/M act but I feel that the dealership should provide me with the car equipped as discussed before I buy it. Now, it would be wonderful if I can custom order it from the factory with those features disabled. If that is not possible, then I want the dealership to worry about it and make sure that they will honor the warranty and consider modifications performed as OE.

Since I am too busy at the moment to put up with sales people, I just wanted to check what the situation is and in case the technicians are unaware of the required procedures.

The fact that you think disabling DRLs is against the law is only proof of misinformation everywhere....Either way, I appreciate everybody taking the time and helping me out with information or even just reading my post...
Old 12-01-2006, 07:15 AM   #9
maxwedge
A990 racer

I was wrong about NYS requiring drl's, checked with DMV on this. FYI "misinformation" is rare on these forums so lighten up or search out another source if you desire.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:21 AM   #10
Jethro
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Jethro

Why do you want to disable the drls? Do you not want to be seen? This feature is to save lives and like with motorcycles, gives added safety.
Jethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 07:24 AM   #11
maxwedge
A990 racer

Exclamation Re: Thinking about buying, have questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro
Why do you want to disable the drls? Do you not want to be seen? This feature is to save lives and like with motorcycles, gives added safety.
Let it go, he has all the answers!
Old 12-01-2006, 07:16 PM   #12
GC1999
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro
That is simply wrong. As far as I know, statistics at best find a slight correlation between accident reduction and DRLs (but only for some types of collision while others slightly increase).

Funny you mention motorcycles, yes there is an increase of motorcycle accidents since DRLs have been more common (of course you don't hear that often). Canada has no statistics proving a benefit (try to find a study if you don't believe me, they GUESS).
Now aside from the fact that DRLs irritate me a lot, it is no fun going to a Christmas light show with lights on for example...

============
And with regard to misinformation on this forum, yes, I didn't mean it in a nasty way (actually I am smiling while writing this) but many just simply dont know (there are sooooo many things I don't know...lol). And GM probably sends training material illustrating the wonderful benefits so I can imagine it would be much harder convincing a sales person (and I am not usually patient with sales people).
Old 12-02-2006, 05:43 AM   #13
GMMerlin
I know stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwedge
Let it go, he has all the answers!
He does....just wants to bait people into an arguementopcorn:
GM WCT
Yea..I work at a DEALERSHIP....got a problem with that?

Want to diagnose cars like the Pros? FOR SALE: OTC Perception 2 channel Labscope (badged as a Matco Reality)
This is my personal labscope that I use to diagnose waveforms, like new, comes with leads and training video
PM Me for details
GMMerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 09:46 PM   #14
ScarabEpic22
AF Regular

Cant disable DRLs via software (heard it is possible, but a royal PITHA to do and only for select groups, like businesses, etc). Do a DRL-Disable mod, they are dirt cheap (most expensive is a plug in box that connects with 2-3 wires, takes 15min to install and costs $35).

You are not going to get GM to disable your DRLs, get over it. It is law here in all the states to have DRLs, and it is the law in Canadato have them. I have done a DRL disable mod and it works great, why are you so keen on killing them? BTW, all the DRL disable mods only kill the 70% low beam headlight signal anyway, so you are going to get the parking lights coming on anyway (unless you use the $35 mod, PM me for details).

2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LT 4X4 -Summit White w/Oak interior
Many Mods, latest: EFILive tuned by (me)
ScarabEpic22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 08:17 PM   #15
GC1999
AF Newbie

Thanks for the response. There is no law making DRLs mandatory in the US. Do you know anything specific on the programming procedures? I know you said it is difficult but in my experience, the technicians are not able to read service manuals. More than once did I have to provide them with instructions until I bought a DRB III.
Again, I am not interested in buying DRL mods since I feel that if GM wants my business, they will have to sell me what I want. If they don't, there are two possible reasons, either they can't (hence me asking) or don't want to.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > TrailBlazer | Trailblazer EXT