Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Jimmy
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 11:17 AM   #16
blazee
Problem?

^^^^

Yeah, what he said. .

Cardboard - a material made from cellulose fiber (as wood pulp) like paper but usually thicker.

I believe you are confusing it with "corrugated cardboard"
Old 07-06-2005, 12:30 PM   #17
demotim00
AF Regular

Re: Re: Re: fram

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazerLT
Good god, would you just listen to what you are talking about!!!

Heavy "fibrous" material IS cardboard!

This is what a proper oil filter is supposed to look like.

And this is a Fram oil filter which is the biggest piece of shit filter in the world.

So you really think that there is nothing wrong with a Fram oil filter right? Well, YOU ARE WRONG.

You obviously haven't heard them being deemed as the "orange can of doom" do you?

You obviously haven't heard of the knocking dry startups they cause on most GM vehicles seeing their cardboard endcaps can't seal against the rubber Anti-drainback valve seeing the cardboard warps with heat and no seal can be made.

You obviously don't see that they have the worse flow, the worse filtration and the worst contaminant capacity of any filter on the market bar none. The flow is so bad that there is often over a 20psi drop in oil pressure after the filter seeing is is so horribly restrictive.

That is a fram failure. Doesn't look pretty does it...........

So before you think Fram is some sort of fine name brand, you are right, the NAME is fine, the PRODUCT is shit.

I have done 100s of hours of research on this filter and others and until you do the same, stop spouting your ignorant and completely OPINION based crap here.

You don't know a thing about what you are talking about and it shows.

OMG, it is Fram, they are a good name because they advertise on NASCAR! That means they have to be good.

Be different, don't be the brainwashed fool to back a POS junk product.

Better to be one in a million and knowledgeable, than one OF a million and unknowing.

IF ALL OF YOU ANTI-FRAM PEOPLE OUT THERE are so positive of yourselves, than please email me at riverrescue01@hotmail.com and ask for my street address as I want you to come by and listen to not only my Jimmy but also my parents Taurus start and run, and both of them start and run like brand new. If you are so sure of yourselves that they are crap and that all vehicles have noisy start ups and lifters tapping and all, than please come by my house and listen to both vehicles here and than try telling me that.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:53 PM   #18
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

Re: Re: Re: Re: fram

Quote:
Originally Posted by demotim00
IF ALL OF YOU ANTI-FRAM PEOPLE OUT THERE are so positive of yourselves, than please email me at riverrescue01@hotmail.com and ask for my street address as I want you to come by and listen to not only my Jimmy but also my parents Taurus start and run, and both of them start and run like brand new. If you are so sure of yourselves that they are crap and that all vehicles have noisy start ups and lifters tapping and all, than please come by my house and listen to both vehicles here and than try telling me that.
You are honestly one thick brick aren't you......

We show you websites showing you the concern... you argue they have no merit.....

We show you pictures of the faulty and flawed construction....you argue that they have no merit....

We show you failures....you argue they have no merit....

I know I represent the "educated" bunch when I say GO AHEAD, CONTINUE TO USE THEM.

Ok, so you have no startup knock..... so be it.

But do you deny everything else that is proven about these filters?

The poor filtration, flow restriction and the ability to collapse on itself and completely fail?

Do some reading and research BEFORE you argue for junk.....

You are just making yourself out to be more foolish by the second....

Here is some reading...

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/...?ubb=forum;f=6

Search for FRAM...

Then learn something will you instead of arguing about something you have no clue about.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:05 PM   #19
demotim00
AF Regular

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: fram

I am not saying that no one has had the filters to fail, and that they havent caused other people problems. All I am saying is that out of the past 4+ years I have used nothing but Fram on multiple types of vehicles and have yet to have them fail in anyway, shape, or form. Also I know well over 10 people that uses nothing but Fram theirselves and have never had a single problem, and 2 of those people are certified ASE mechanics and actually run a well respected shop in my area. I have a very hard time believing that Fram filters causes everyone problems and no one except myself and those others I know problems, and that we are the only ones around that have ever used Fram and not had a problem with them. As far as them failing, and being crap, for other people they have fave failed, I can not say, but for myself and the other people I know personally that uses Fram, they HAVE NOT. The only thing I can think of, is Fram Failures depend on the type of oil you run, and that since myself and the others I know personally use the same type of oil, Valvoline Maxlife, the only thing I can think of that would cause them to fail for alot of other people, but not all the people I know or myself is that they were using a type of oil that caused the Fram filters to fail.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:08 PM   #20
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

Re: fram

No, it is not the oil.

How do you not know it didn't fail, have you ever opened one up?

Wouldn't you want a properly made filter instead of backing your lack of knowledge with ignorance.

I could care less what your friends use. They don't know like most people on the market.

Get informed, get using a better oil filter and protect your vehicle the best way you can.

If you want to run crap filters when you can get a much better filter for the same price, be my guest.

But don't sit here arguing that because your engine has not blown up that the filter is perfectly fine BECAUSE IT ISN'T!

Guess it is up to the people who want the best filtering for their truck and who doesn't give a shit.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:07 AM   #21
demotim00
AF Regular

Re: Re: fram

Quote:
No, it is not the oil.

How do you not know it didn't fail, have you ever opened one up?

Wouldn't you want a properly made filter instead of backing your lack of knowledge with ignorance.

I could care less what your friends use. They don't know like most people on the market.

Get informed, get using a better oil filter and protect your vehicle the best way you can.

If you want to run crap filters when you can get a much better filter for the same price, be my guest.

But don't sit here arguing that because your engine has not blown up that the filter is perfectly fine BECAUSE IT ISN'T!

Guess it is up to the people who want the best filtering for their truck and who doesn't give a shit.

Well all of you guys are so positive of yourselves that all Fram Filters fail, and all filters not made by Fram doesnt fail, I am assuming that you or one of the other people in this here thread has cut open every used oil filter there is, not only your own but everyones and that every Fram filter failed, while no other ones haved. It is impossible for me to say that every Fram filter hasnt failed, just like it is impossible for you or anyone else to say that they always fail. Maybe I'll just have to cut my oil filter open once I change my oil again(Fram Filter) than instead of putting another Fram filter on, use a different brand, and than once I change the oil again cut that filter open, and see for myself that the Fram filter did not fail, and post the pics that way I can be just like everyone else and instead of saying that they fail, I can say its a fact that Fram filters are good, since theres pictures to prove it did not fail. I am sure glad that pictures some people, and a couple pictures of it failing is enough to say that all Fram oil filters fail. I think maybe all of you guys need to go back to school just to learn what the hell the difference is between opinion and facts.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:51 AM   #22
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by demotim00
Well all of you guys are so positive of yourselves that all Fram Filters fail, and all filters not made by Fram doesnt fail, I am assuming that you or one of the other people in this here thread has cut open every used oil filter there is, not only your own but everyones and that every Fram filter failed, while no other ones haved. It is impossible for me to say that every Fram filter hasnt failed, just like it is impossible for you or anyone else to say that they always fail. Maybe I'll just have to cut my oil filter open once I change my oil again(Fram Filter) than instead of putting another Fram filter on, use a different brand, and than once I change the oil again cut that filter open, and see for myself that the Fram filter did not fail, and post the pics that way I can be just like everyone else and instead of saying that they fail, I can say its a fact that Fram filters are good, since theres pictures to prove it did not fail. I am sure glad that pictures some people, and a couple pictures of it failing is enough to say that all Fram oil filters fail. I think maybe all of you guys need to go back to school just to learn what the hell the difference is between opinion and facts.
WAKE UP!

We are not saying that everyone fails!!!!!!! Jesus!

We are saying that their inferior construction leads to more fails than any other filter on the market.

Add the fact in that:

A.) They don't filter well.

B.) They don't Flow well.

C.) They aren't built well.

D.) Poor sealing of the Anti Drainback valve.

E.) Less filter media than any other filter on the market.

F.) Practically the same price as well built filters.

And here you are arguing here against it. You can't argue against proven fact and doing so makes you look incredibly ridiculous. Fram oil filters are complete junk. Actually, there are cheaper oil filters out there that are better filters than the low end Fram.

You are being completely pig headed and you are basing your whole arguement off of failing. It is true they fail because I saw one blow off of a Mustang when the internal filter media collapsed.

But ignoring the fact that they are poorly made just to make the excuse for using them is just plain out retarded and your lack of open-minded thinking about this is appalling.

Don't you think you would want the best for your truck?

Can you argue about the poor filtering and the pressure drop due to poor flow? Throw away the filter failing arguement because of course they don't all fail.

How about explaining how the rest of the problems are "OK" for me.

This should be good.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:22 PM   #23
herkyhawki
AF Regular

Quote:
WAKE UP!
Add the fact in that:
This should be good.
Maybee it's a canadian thing to misunderstand the meanings of the words FACT and OPINION. The items that you list as A.B.C.D.E.F. ARE ALL YOUR OPINIONS. They are not factual statements. You are entitled to you opinion, and so is everyone else. If there is a rule on this forum that you must hate Fram and love K&N and love autoRX snake oil, then please post that on the top of the page. Otherwise, please learn the difference between facts and opinions. Also would be educational for you to look up the definition of MODERATOR. You appear to be more of an instigator than a moderator, but that's my opinion and maybe it's not a fact.
Old 07-07-2005, 04:57 PM   #24
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

Oh really? Let's tabulate up the numbers to distinguish FACT from OPINION.

Let's compare a $2.99 Extra Guard to a $2.99 Purolator Premium Plus.

All number were derived from independent and unbiased testing through http://www.oilfilterstudy.com/.

If you argue that they are not legit, proove me wrong.

Quote:
Fram:

Average largest pore size: 50 µm
Smallest pore size: 17 µm

Purolator:

Average largest pore size: 57 µm
Smallest pore size: 22 µm

This is where I was slightly wrong, the difference is minimal but I did make a mistake and I will admit to it.

But as you will see farther on, who really cares if it filters well when it doesn't have any filter media when compared to a normal filter it will plug up that much faster.

Verdict: OPINION (But not anymore)

Quote:
Fram ExtraGuard Flow: 30W 70F Oil flow @ 10psi: 4.5 oz per minute
Purolator Filter Flow: 30W 70F Oil flow @ 10psi: 17.2 oz per minute

That's right, the purolator for the same price flows almost 4X more oil than the Fram.

VERDICT: FACT

Quote:
Fram ExtraGuard

Purolator Filter

Need I say more?? If you think that the Fram is built as well as the Pirolator in this example, you have another thing coming and you need to go to an eye doctor.

Quote:
With reference to the above photos, the Fram Extra guard is one of the worst culprits in the war against startup knock. Many vehicles that have a startup dry knock can have there top end drained of oil during sitting due to the cardboard endcaps warping under heat and pressure, and not allowing the nitrile ADBV to completely seal and therefore allowing the oil that should be in the top end to travel back down into the oil pan where it does not good.

80% of engine wear happens at startup and everything you can do to limit that will add years to your engine.

The purolator has the same nitrile Anti-Drainback valve but is sealed against a solid metal end caps. Metal endcaps do not warp or change there shape while under the heat and pressure from a nrmal engine.

Quote:
Fram ExtraGuard Filter area: 183 sq/in; 36 pleats
Purolator Filter area: 345 sq/in; 64 pleats

That's right, half the filter medium Which means they will plug up twice as fast than the other filter.

Verdict: FACT

Quote:
Fram ExtraGuard $2.99
Purolator Filter $2.99

Verdict: FACT

Prices are the same.

So there you have it, all the proof is on the table for all to see and other than the filtering mistake I made, it is all FACT.

So herkyhawki, before you bring to your knife to a gun battle, know who you are up against.

Verdict: OWNED

Last edited by BlazerLT; 07-07-2005 at 07:46 PM.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:29 PM   #25
blazee
Problem?

fact Knowledge or information based on real occurrences.

o·pin·ion A belief or conclusion held with confidence but not substantiated by positive knowledge or proof

Which statements about FRAM are opinions and not facts?
Do you deny that they are poorly made?
Do you deny that they flow so poorly, in some instances they have been known to immediately trigger the by-pass valve?
Do you deny that the anti-drainback valve leaks?
Do you deny that dry starts are bad for your engine?

If you deny all these things.......how many times must something be proven before it becomes a fact?

Everything posted above has been proven to be true numerous times. It has been documented, making the above statements "based on real occurrences". According to the definition of "fact", this makes the above statements facts.

Please show me one of the pro FRAM statements above that has been proven. Can you name one that is based on real documented occurrences? I have seen nothing more than your beliefs, beliefs that aren't backed by "positive knowledge or proof", which makes them nothing more than baseless opinions.

Your views on FRAM can be summed into one word: delusions
"Delusions - false beliefs that are persistent and organized, and that do not go away after receiving logical or accurate information."
Old 07-07-2005, 07:50 PM   #26
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazee
"Delusions - false beliefs that are persistent and organized, and that do not go away after receiving logical or accurate information."
My lord, that word fixes this situation like a glove.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:56 AM   #27
herkyhawki
AF Regular

Old 07-08-2005, 08:00 AM   #28
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by herkyhawki
And this is for what?

All filters pass the multi-pass filtration test.

This proves nothing........

Any other info other than what Fram tells you?

You seemed so sure that all I was doing before was stated my blantent opinion and all my point were incorrect.

Why are you not saying I am wrong again?
Old 07-08-2005, 08:12 AM   #29
herkyhawki
AF Regular

Quote:
what?
Why are you not saying I am wrong again?
There's no reason to restate the obvious.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:18 AM   #30
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by herkyhawki
There's no reason to restate the obvious.

Don't know when to quit do you? You just won't admit when you are wrong. It is a sign of immaturity, you'll grow out of it after you hit 18.

Even when you are faced with fact and proven numbers your delusional skull still puts up a meaningless fight.

Sign of a person who calls someone out, and then gets properly OWNED beyond belief......

Welp, everyone learned something from this thread.

A.) Know what you are talking about when you start a debate.
B.) Don't call out knowledgable people when you don't know what you are talking about yourself.
C.) Know when you are wrong and admit it.
D.) When what you thought was true is proven to be NOT, don't babble on with meaningless replies and link to unrelated webpages.

thread's dead Zed.....

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Jimmy