Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35
Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35 Excellent platform and the good ol' VQ30DE and VQ35DE engines.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-13-2001, 07:37 PM   #1
supafly
AF Newbie

I have a '97 Maxima SE, with the "sport tuned" (so they say) suspension. Everyone knows that aftermarket lowering springs on the softer factory struts will wear out the struts prematurly because they can't keep-up with the increased spring rates, but what if you car has pre-stiffened struts like the SE. Isn't almost like having aftermarket Koni's or Tokico's?? Is there still a need to invest in aftermarkets if your struts are the same thing?? Has anyone tried this setup, and if yes how's the ride?? It seems that every shop i ask seems to have a differnet opinion on this topic, most try to sell me new struts and get this.....a FOUR wheel allignment, haha, thats classic.

Thanks
supafly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2001, 07:58 AM   #2
mzmtg
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to mzmtg
The SE struts are still inadequate. That's the short answer.

I have Sprint Springs and Tokico struts. The ride is, of course, very firm. But after the 3 weeks I've had them, I dont even remember what it used to be like. It's all good.
Old 03-14-2001, 04:01 PM   #3
MaximaDriver
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to MaximaDriver Send a message via AIM to MaximaDriver
sport tuned my ass.
the SE suspension is like 2 % better than my stock struts. it's just the spring rating from SE springs and GXE springs. that's all.
anyhoo. aftermarket struts is a DEFINATE must if you plan to lower your car.

eibachs with stock struts= toast in 4-7k miles.

i blew out my TOKICOS with my eibachs in just 9k..

so. hopefully my koni's and sprints will be ok for umm..25k? we hope.

MaximaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2001, 08:29 AM   #4
supafly
AF Newbie

thanks guys

thanks for the posts, finally an educated answer to what should have been a simple question.
supafly is offline   Reply With Quote