Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 08:07 PM   #1
ftballguy45
AF Newbie

325ci Engine Overheat and Oil pool on ground

Hey guys -- seems I have a pretty bad situation here.

I have a 2002 BMW 325CI that I purchased with 89k miles. It now has 100k miles. Last week I had the thermostat replaced due to the Check Engine ( or Service Engine) Soon light coming on intermittently. I had a local BMW specialty run the code a month earlier and it came back that the thermostat needed replaced. The repair guy told me that I could wait a while to replace it cause it was the middle of the summer and I obviously didnt need heat. The light doesnt stay on all the time and actually wasnt on the 2 previous days before I took it in last Thursday. So i went back last week and had it replaced. Well I took the car on a road trip 300 miles roundtrip. On the return trip today I looked at the dash and my temperature gauge was past red and I immediately pulled off and shut the car off. Then the smoke came billowing out of the engine. I was hoping I just had an overheat but then discovered the huge pool of oil under the car as well as the radiator fluid (which I expected.)
My first thoughts are that this is due to something caused from the thermostat being repaired and hopefully I wont be responsible for paying for the repair costs and the towing bill. Does anyone have any idea as to what might have happened? Obviously I think the engine is unfortuantely blown.
I trust the guy that was working on the car, but with such a big bill at stake im worried that the repair shop might try to get out of being responsible.
How can I protect myself and doesnt this sound pretty cut and dry?

Please help guys

Thanks
Justin
ftballguy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 03:12 PM   #2
Azzam
AF Newbie

Re: 325ci Engine Overheat and Oil pool on ground

Check your condition of you engine oil, if it is very brown and gungy it has mixed with the water, then definately the headgasket has blown. You should never leave a faulty thermostat in place especially in summer. In some cars a faulty thermostat can be totally removed and it would take longer for car to warm up but risk of overheating removed but ive never heard anyone leaving a faulty thermostat in the car in summer time!!!!
Azzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 03:18 PM   #3
ftballguy45
AF Newbie

That was just on the recommendation of the auto mechanic. He said Id be ok for now but I just might want to fix it before winter or else I wouldnt have heat.
ftballguy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 03:06 PM   #4
venzon
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftballguy45
That was just on the recommendation of the auto mechanic. He said Id be ok for now but I just might want to fix it before winter or else I wouldnt have heat.
I'm certain that your problem was air in the system. Perhaps your mechanic is not aware that he has to bleed the system once you change the thermostat and add coolant. I'm not sure about the extent of the damage but I will hold the mechanic liable. Also if ever the thermostat goes bad again, replace it right away. You should not be driving a car with a bad thermostat. Let us know how it turns out. Good luck!
venzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 11:09 AM   #5
ladagosta
AF Regular

Venson do you still have your 325ci? if so can you assist with a wiring issue I would be so grateful to get mine back on the road instead of it becoming a lawn ornament.. thanks I have a post I need to ID where 2 wires connect.. simple as that and without access to one locally I am a sitting BMW.. thank you in advance if you would be so kind to pop your hood and find these 2 wires and let me know where they are supposed to go.. again thanks
ladagosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 11:48 AM   #6
venzon
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagosta View Post
Venson do you still have your 325ci? if so can you assist with a wiring issue I would be so grateful to get mine back on the road instead of it becoming a lawn ornament.. thanks I have a post I need to ID where 2 wires connect.. simple as that and without access to one locally I am a sitting BMW.. thank you in advance if you would be so kind to pop your hood and find these 2 wires and let me know where they are supposed to go.. again thanks
Don't have the car anymore and I don't see any picture of the wires. Show us the picture and I or others might be able to tell you where they connect.
venzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:43 PM   #7
ladagosta
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by venzon View Post
Don't have the car anymore and I don't see any picture of the wires. Show us the picture and I or others might be able to tell you where they connect.
That is fine i removed the intake and found them the one was between the starter and the canister underneath the starter hard to see if you dont have the intake off and the other was also under the intake.. have them both on and need to buy another set of plugs NGK never ever put autolites in these cars.. not worth it . I knew it when i bought them but they didnt have any NGK so I did what i had to do now they will sit in the trunk for emergency back ups and nothing more.. thanks for offering to help but car is running perfect and out on the road again TG@@
ladagosta is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series