Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Del Sol
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 05:42 PM   #1
gilligan354
AF Newbie

Angry Del Sol No Start

I have a 93 Del Sol, D16Z6, and it will not start. I have tried everything you will think of right off the bat. It has good spark, correct compression, and correct fuel pressure. It has everything else working that should make it run. I've gone through every sensor, and the ecu. It has to be a rare problem it seems. I'm out of ideas. The dizzy is good, as are the spark plugs, wires, fuel pump, filter, ecu, main relay, everything. I really have gone through everything. It cranks, and will go like it wants to start sometimes, even more when carb cleaner is sprayed into it, but no matter how much carb cleaner is sprayed it still will not start. Also the timing belt is good. I'm begining to beat my head against a wall.
Thanks
gilligan354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 10:32 PM   #2
94SolGrl
Honda GODDESS/Global Mod

Send a message via AIM to 94SolGrl Send a message via MSN to 94SolGrl
Re: Del Sol No Start

obvious question... gas in the tank? You'd be surprised how many people get so caught up in "fixing" their car that they forget to check the gas gauge. Have you tried jumpstarting it? My car wouldn't start, and we had to jump it cause it was simply that the battery wasn't producing enough power to turn over the big ol B18 that's in there. Also, you said you're getting spark... getting spark off the wires or spark off the plugs? The wires may be producing spark, but the plugs may be fouled, in which case the motor isn't getting spark. Did you check your fuel injectors to make sure they're clean? What exactly are you spraying the carb cleaner "into"? You don't have a carb, you have no reason to be using carb cleaner. Turn the car to the II position... do you hear the fuel pump kicking in? Any CEL's being thrown? Are your ignition wires in the steering column good? Fuses good? There's literally a ton of things it could be.

lol my D16 quit on me one day, and I just said "FINE... BE THAT WAY", yanked it out and tossed in a GSR... best upgrade I ever did

HOW TO POST PICS!
94SolGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 11:16 AM   #3
gilligan354
AF Newbie

Yeah, there is gas in the tank. One of the first things we did was check that. We even put in new gas because the other gas was old. Also had to get a new battery and have made sure its been kept charged with my battery charger. I am getting spark from the plugs, I've checked that numerous times. I even got a new distributor from ebay and tried that with no luck. I used the carb cleaner to check and see if it would do anything different, to see if I wasn't getting fuel, and I have sprayed it directly into the engine by taking out the plugs, and through the intake. No luck. The fuel pump is good, and no CELs are being thrown. The ignition switch and wires are good as are the fuses. I have checked those over and over again hoping I missed something. I also have the correct compression and fuel pressure, and the timing belt is right on the mark. I've have basically gone through all the most likely causes.

I would change the engine if I could, but as with many a young college kid money is an issue. Hopefully I can do that after I get start work.

Thanks for your ideas, keep them coming if you don't mind.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:13 AM   #4
94SolGrl
Honda GODDESS/Global Mod

Check the fuel filter? If it's clogged your life can become miserable. Alternator and starter good? Ummmmmmm I'm kind of running out of ideas. Do you know for sure that it's getting fuel? After you try starting it a few times, pull an injector and take a whiff... it should REEK of gasoline, and possibly still have some in it. Make sure the injectors are clean. Did you check for spark off the plugs themselves, though? A lot of people will do the wire check, and be like "oh I'm getting spark", and their plugs are fouled.

HOW TO POST PICS!
Old 05-26-2006, 10:52 AM   #5
gilligan354
AF Newbie

Interesting thing happened yesterday. I desided to randomely take off some sensors and it fired up and sat there running. After plugging in all the sensors again and reseting the ecu I got a trouble code for the oxygen sensor. I'm then sitting there trying to get the cooling fan running, and I turn it off and it won't start again. This morning I took off all the same sensors I did yesterday with no luck. Very wierd, but I'm glad I have somewhere to go with it now.
Old 05-26-2006, 01:38 PM   #6
94SolGrl
Honda GODDESS/Global Mod

try replacing the o2 sensor... for starters, chances are it's old anyways, and for seconds, a messed up o2 sensor can be saying that your motor's very starved for oxygen, which would cause it to dump in as much gas as it can, and would flood it.

HOW TO POST PICS!
Old 05-26-2006, 02:54 PM   #7
gilligan354
AF Newbie

Smile Re: Del Sol No Start

Yeah, im definatly going to replace that. 2 other smaller problems have now risen. 1. the radiator fan will not turn on. I tried using one of the other relays in place of the designated one, and I've checked the fuse. I've also turned on the a/c and waited, as well as just waiting to see but then it started overheating. I took out the a/c though, so I was just pressing the button on the dash. 2. I am getting oil and water out of the exhaust, and when I rev it some smoke comes out, a grayish color i think.
Old 05-28-2006, 08:45 AM   #8
94SolGrl
Honda GODDESS/Global Mod

sounds like you may have a cracked/blown headgasket... more than likely just a leak in it since the car's still running. Pretty common problem, and if you catch it early, it can be easily fixed (remove engine head, replace gasket, replace head). If you wait too long, though, the head can warp, and then you have to take it to a machine shop and get it milled and a bunch of other crap that sucks really bad. Could also just be your piston rings letting oil in... how many miles are on the engine?

I have an extra radiator fan out of a 95 integra.... paypal me $30 and I'll have it at your house within 2 days.

HOW TO POST PICS!
Old 05-29-2006, 10:54 AM   #9
gilligan354
AF Newbie

There are 97,000 miles on it. My friend said it sounded like a ring. I'll get him to check it more completely when he does the alignment. Thanks for the offer of the fan, but mine works. I've actually wired it to a switch for now. I think its the coolant switch that is keeping it from turning on because the relay and the fuse are good.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Del Sol