Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier > Cavalier Problem Diagnosis
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Cavalier Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? We can help.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 08:44 PM   #1
sdillon030976
AF Newbie

02 2.2 ecotec stalling

its my daughters car. they replaced the alternator, started it drove it around the block. the next morning she was coming to my house and it died. No voltage at all.. they towed it here. I pulled the starter, alternator and charge the battery, took all to autozone. they all passed their test. so long store short if you charge the battery and crank the car it will run for 10-20 minutes or till the battery dies.. I'm at a lost. need it running and out my yard.. Thanks in advance.. Steve
sdillon030976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:45 PM   #2
sdillon030976
AF Newbie

Re: 02 2.2 ecotec stalling

oh I forgot I replace the wire from alternator post to starter solenoid.
and cleaned all connections.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:43 PM   #3
bellaCuba
AF Regular

Ok, you need to check the main fuses then, with a meter -not by eye. The fuses under the hood mainly. When the car is idling .. check the power at the main positive cable to the Alternator (alt). It must be at least 13.6v while running. Otherwise the alt is not charging... car off, there should be 12v. since you said main cable is connected to starter solenoid. On the solenoid, Battery & alt on same main post, & starter on the other by itself, correct?
Old 08-15-2016, 09:46 AM   #4
sdillon030976
AF Newbie

yes that's correct alt and battery share on post on starter solenoid. I will check the voltage once the battery charges.
Old 08-15-2016, 10:58 AM   #5
bellaCuba
AF Regular

Awesome. I'll be sure to check in later. So far so good.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:12 AM   #6
sdillon030976
AF Newbie

all fuses checked out ok with meter. voltage on battery hooked up but not running was 12.7 the voltage between the output post on alternator to negative was 12.7 running.. so in my experience the alternator is not charging.. but where do I go from here since I know the alternator is new and I know it passed the test at autozone?
Old 08-15-2016, 11:26 AM   #7
bellaCuba
AF Regular

So when Autozone checked it, it was brought in off the vehicle, correct? So, if this is the case, then the issue lies within the control portion to the Alternator. This would be the connector to the Alternator.
I don't have the wiring schematics in front of me, so I'll try to look some up. In the meantime, check the connector. Look for corrosion. Follow the harness to wherever you can, inspecting it as well. Sometimes if the harness is not properly held, it'll rubbed through on surfaces, like the block. Or the connector itself is nnot making great contact on the pins. Perform "wiggle" tests with the wires/harness and connector.

The next step would be to find out exactly where the other end of that connector leads... one area may be straight to PCM connector. Then you would unplug the PCM as well, and check for continuity in between the 2 ends... this is where the schematics come into to play. They'll show which pins (by number& wire color) to look for and test.

I'll see if I can check back in sooner than later, but I also have some jobs to tend to, so it may not be until the evening.
Old 08-15-2016, 03:50 PM   #8
sdillon030976
AF Newbie

yes it was taken in disconnected from car. ill trace down the wires and yes I believe it runs to the pcm
Old 08-15-2016, 05:59 PM   #9
sdillon030976
AF Newbie

I cant find a wiring diagram of the pcm pins. so I guess its time to have it towed to a shop Thanks for your help
Old 08-15-2016, 11:18 PM   #10
bellaCuba
AF Regular

The diagram I saw (Haynes in a store), had a 10A Gen Batt fuse under hood fuse box #49?. I was able to find the schematics here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/z9ea1l8t5y...02002.gif?dl=0 Otherwise it's a connection issue or defective/intermittent alternator. For sh*ts & giggles, I'd replace that 10A fuse just to see if that works. Sometimes the tabs are corroded on them not making a good contact in their slot.

I'd hate to have you tow it to find something like that (so silly & simple) to be wrong.
If you do wind up towing it, still update your post. I'm so curious now & that way this thread can help someone else.

I wanted to get back to you earlier, but was too busy with work.

Last edited by bellaCuba; 08-16-2016 at 12:11 AM.
bellaCuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:56 PM   #11
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Here ya go......Sdillon, you replaced circuit #2? Use the correct fuseable link?

Really need a scan tool to see data from the PCM....

PS, Bella, how are your Eagles this year? I'm a Giant fan....

Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 11:16 PM   #12
bellaCuba
AF Regular

Lol @Tech II
I can hardly keep up anymore. More drama than a soap opera. lol I'm a fan of the Giants too. Of course there's drama there too, due to them being in the same division...lol As long as you aren't rooting for the Cowboys, we're good!
Old 08-18-2016, 07:08 AM   #13
sdillon030976
AF Newbie

I did not replace the fusible link. there isn't a part number that I could find. They drove it back to their house cause I told them I wouldn't mess with the computer.. I have a dodge ram with computer problems and don't need to buy 2 of them.. so if they find the problem ill share but they are pretty mad at me.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier > Cavalier Problem Diagnosis