Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier > Cavalier Problem Diagnosis
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Cavalier Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? We can help.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 11:36 PM   #1
ChevyGirl1982
AF Newbie

93 Cavalier horn quit working

The horn just quit working, I don't know why, the wires seem to be intact (from the ones I can see) and when I press the horn pad I can hear clicking coming from the relay, I tried a new fuse, not the problem, any advice to try and figure this out? Thanx!
ChevyGirl1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:57 PM   #2
MikeCStig
AF Regular

Re: 93 Cavalier horn quit working

I would check the relay, an audible clicking isn't healthy. Also the wires you can see may look fine, but there are probably a few lengths of wire and electrical connections you can't see and there may be something wrong there. Another thought is a bad ground connection somewhere.
"Ok, systems check; the battery is discharging, the oil temperature is very high, the oil pressure is very low, the engine temperature is off the end of the scale, I'm running out of petrol... but the clock is correct!"
-James May, in an old, worn out Lamborghini purchased for less than £10,000.
MikeCStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 07:58 AM   #3
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Well, a clicking relay, is a good sign, because it means your horn pad and control circuit down the steering column, is ok....

However, it doesn't mean the relay is ok.....the relay could have a bad contact....you can try swapping the relay with another relay with the same number, in the vehicle and see if it works.....

If it doesn't, just get a a test light, attach it to a good ground, disconnect the single green wire from the horn, and probe the contact of the wire with the test light....press the horn pad button and see if the test light comes on....if it does, you have a bad horn.....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 04:24 PM   #4
ChevyGirl1982
AF Newbie

Ok, this is driving me nuts, where is the horn relay in this car under the hood? I can't find any answer online, it's not in the book and I even called the Chevy dealership in town and they had no idea where it was either! (They did try to look it up on their computer tho with no results) It's a mystery to me, the relays are scattered all over the car, not all in one place like my 02 Cavalier, I'm stumped.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:49 PM   #5
Tech II
AF Fanatic

I thought you said you could hear it? That's half the battle....follow the sound.....it's usually located in the Convenience Center(check owner's manual for location), which usually is anything but convenient......If I had to guess, I would say under the dash on the driver's side...listen for the click....
Old 04-15-2015, 06:57 PM   #6
ChevyGirl1982
AF Newbie

Yes, when I press the horn pad on the wheel I can hear a clicking sound. Under the dash on drivers side is the fuse panel, no relays tho.
Old 04-16-2015, 10:10 AM   #7
Tech II
AF Fanatic

The fuse panel is not the Convenience Center.....like I said, one of the most mis-named parts in the car.....you have to remove the hush panel under the dash to get your head up in there.....

I believe your horn is located in the right fenderwell near the front......I think it's less likely the relay, and more likely the horn......so use a test light on the horn connector...
Old 01-18-2016, 11:29 AM   #8
Colleen Pittman
AF Newbie

The relay is under the dash behind the glove box. U have to remove glove box to get to it.
Colleen Pittman is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier > Cavalier Problem Diagnosis