Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Rumors & Concepts
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Rumors & Concepts Post pictures and discuss the upcoming cars, rumors and spy photos.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 02:08 PM   #16
aznxthuggie
AF Enthusiast

Re: Skyline Gt-r R35

Quote:
Originally Posted by VQuick
The Infiniti G35 Coupe is the Skyline GT350 Coupe in Japan. The GT-R concept shown in 2001 is based on the Skyline coupe, sharing the same FM platform. The production GT-R will likely be the same way, with different styling and drivetrain changes.

The new Skyline sedan and coupe are designated as V35. NISMO's JGTC GT500 class R34 GT-Rs have been replaced by modified Z33 Fairlady Zs. The new GT-R's launch has been moved back to 2008 for Japan. The US and Europe could get in in late 2008 or early 2009. The GT-R will probably return to the JGTC at that time.

There are no turbo Skylines at the moment. There are the 300 GT(VQ#)DD: 260hp), 250 GT(VQ25DDD: 215hp), 250 GT+4(awd ATESSA-ETS drivetrain), 250 Gte, and the +8 models with the '8-speed' CVT transmission.

The RB-series engines were discontinued in 2002. The VRH35L used in the R390 is likely out of production as well.

The chassis desgnations have nothing to do with the powerplant used. The R30 and R31 Skylines used FJ-series engines at first until the RB made its debut later in the R31. The Z31-33 Fairlady Zs used both VG and VQ engines, nothing with a 'Z' in them.

The 'V' designation comes from Nissan having to create a new moniker for the Skyline, since the Skyline and GT-R names were to be separated. The 'R' is likely being kept in reserve for the GT-R.

There are no current pictures of the upcoming GT-R. Hiroshi Tamura, Nissan's product planner for the R34 GT-R and the next model, says that the production car will not look like the concept. He also says that the next model will have to make a large leap forward in every area. Tamura compared Porsche stepping up to the 996-chassis 911 from the 993, and Ferrari replacing the 355 with the 360, and said 'we must make an even bigger leap.'

Expect a VQ powerplant of unknown displacment. Rumors are that it will have an electronically-assisted twin-turbo system. Legendary engine builder Cosworth is using a special process to build stronger VQ blocks for the GT-R. Lotus is said to be aiding development of handling characteristics. The sighting of a possible GT-R mule, a Skyline Coupe with hood cutouts(to cool a turbo powerplant?) and a large rear wing at Lotus HQ in Hethel, UK suggests that testing has already begun.

yea but even on the japanese website they call the 11th gen skyline the v35 so there.. lol
aznxthuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 01:40 PM   #17
VQuick
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by molina_aitor
Thanxs for the info. One question where di u get this info from?

This thread is a collection of articles released so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznxthuggie
yea but even on the japanese website they call the 11th gen skyline the v35 so there.. lol
Of course, I posted saying that. But rumor has it there will not be a Skyline GT-R, only GT-R, because the names will be separated. A new designation had to be created, so the 'V' was likely made for the Skyline. The GT-R is the one that will probably keep the 'R' designation.
VQuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 08:09 PM   #18
YukiHime
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
The new Skyline sedan and coupe are designated as V35. NISMO's JGTC GT500 class R34 GT-Rs have been replaced by modified Z33 Fairlady Zs. The new GT-R's launch has been moved back to 2008 for Japan. The US and Europe could get in in late 2008 or early 2009. The GT-R will probably return to the JGTC at that time.
Hopefully they will not use the 2.6 R34 engine anymore...It's not as good as the VQ in the Z33...which has way more potential than the R34's. And that's why the R34 in JGTC2003 is not R34 anymore.
Old 03-31-2004, 06:37 AM   #19
VQuick
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Skyline Gt-r R35

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukiHime
Hopefully they will not use the 2.6 R34 engine anymore...It's not as good as the VQ in the Z33...which has way more potential than the R34's. And that's why the R34 in JGTC2003 is not R34 anymore.
The VQ-series V6 does have more potential in the sense that it comes in larger displacements and can produce more power and torque. NISMO is using a VQ30 right now, and they seem pretty happy with that, despite the fact that Toyota started using the 3UZ-FE 5.2L V8sin their Supras. If NISMO feels the need for any more torque, they can always use the 3.2, 3.3, 3.5, or the new 4.0.

There are some street driven VQ30-powered Maximas producing around 500hp on stock internals(10:1 compression), so with some stronger internals, even more would be possible. No one knows what the full power capability of the VQ is, however. Since it is an aluminum block motor, it probably isn't quite as strong as the RB. Nissan knows this, and that is probably why they've turned to Cosworth to build a special version of the VQ(supposedly a 3.2L) for the next GT-R.

The Z33 replaced the R34 in JGTC partly because the R34 wasn't being sold anymore. Why race and promote a car that's been discontinued for about two years? The Z33 also offers a stiffer chassis, better wieght distribution, and less weight, so that the team can have some ballast to place strategically in the car for even better handling.
Old 03-31-2004, 08:48 AM   #20
molina_aitor
AF Enthusiast

Hey whats the difference inbetween both engines? Also i dont care what powers the GT-R skyline as long as it has lots of power. 450HP from the factory would be nice. What i care more about is the styling. I liked the concept car. But i would hate the G35 coupe becoming the skyline.
Old 03-31-2004, 03:03 PM   #21
VQuick
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by molina_aitor
Hey whats the difference inbetween both engines? Also i dont care what powers the GT-R skyline as long as it has lots of power. 450HP from the factory would be nice. What i care more about is the styling. I liked the concept car. But i would hate the G35 coupe becoming the skyline.
RB26DETT
Iron block, aluminum head
Displacement 2568cc, 156.70 cu in.
Combustion chamber Pent roof type
Valve arrangement DOHC belt drive
Bore x Stroke 3.386 in x 2.902 in
Compression ratio 8.5:1
Peak power 276hp Long underrated, the most recent version is rumored to produce as much as 340hp.

The RB26 was pretty much designed from the start to be turbocharged and withstand incredible amounts of boost. The iron block and strong internals make certain that the engine can contain the compressed air. The RB26 also likes to rev. Speeds of 10,000rpm are not rare.

VQ30DE(K*)
Aluminum block, aluminum head
Displacement 2998 cc, 182 cu in.
Bore x Stroke 3.66 in x 2.89 in.
Compression ratio 10:1
Peak power 190hp(222-227hp)

The VQ was originally designed as a racing motor for a new touring series in Germany. Unfortunately, the series was cancelled before it began. Nissan then began using the VQ in production cars. The 1995 Maxima was the first US-market vehicle to feature the VQ30DE with 190hp. Smaller VQs were available in 2L and 2.5L displacements, with 168hp and 187hp, respectively.

The VQ was still used in motorsports before Autech built the VQ30DETTs that NISMO would use in the JGTC. Race trim VQ30DEs produce as much as 415hp normally aspirated, and are used in a Southern European Formula racing series.

The 'K' in VQ30DEK stands for 'kaizen,' or 'improvement.' The VQ30DEK appeared in the 2000-2001 Maxima with micropolished internals, a variable intake manifold, and a variable capacity muffler. These modifications increased power to 222hp, and 227 in the 2000-2001 Infinti I30 and 2001 Maxima 20th Anniversary edition.

VQ30DET
Aluminum block, aluminum head
Displacement 2998 cc, 182 cu in.
Bore x Stroke 3.66 in x 2.89 in.
Compression ratio 9:1
Peak power 276hp True power is likely well into the 300s since the VQ25DET is also rated at 276hp.

The VQ30DET is a turbo version of the VQ30DE. The only apparent change is the use of lower compression pistons, down to 9:1 versus 10:1.

Last edited by VQuick; 04-01-2004 at 02:25 PM.
Old 04-02-2004, 11:18 PM   #22
YukiHime
AF Enthusiast

Because the R34 doesn't meet gas restrictions?
Old 04-03-2004, 09:09 AM   #23
VQuick
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Skyline Gt-r R35

Quote:
Because the R34 doesn't meet gas restrictions?
Well, it's more like the RB engine family won't be compliant with Japan's emissions regulations. I don't think they ever met US regs. There were some chassis and engine computer issues with the Skylines too.
Old 04-06-2004, 08:53 PM   #24
96berettakid
AF Newbie

Hey, you know what I can't wait for? The Nissan Skyline N7689tyurllieo Gt-r-st-350-NMOQ. Yeah, that's gonna be pimp.
96berettakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 11:29 PM   #25
YukiHime
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Skyline Gt-r R35

Quote:
Well, it's more like the RB engine family won't be compliant with Japan's emissions regulations. I don't think they ever met US regs. There were some chassis and engine computer issues with the Skylines too.
I thought Japan's emission regulation is much stricter than U.S.
Old 04-07-2004, 04:42 PM   #26
VQuick
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: Skyline Gt-r R35

Quote:
I thought Japan's emission regulation is much stricter than U.S.
That probably wasn't the case, at least in the past. There were lots of cars in Japan that would not pass US regs. It's part of the reason that 240SX guys who do the SR20DET swap always have trouble. The GT-R was no different. When Motorex legalizes Skylines, part of the work they do is to modify the exhaust system to make it cleaner.

Now that Japan's toughened their regulatons, they might be up to US standards, possibly higher.
Old 04-08-2004, 10:16 PM   #27
YukiHime
AF Enthusiast

That's what I've been always believed in, that Japan is more crowded therefore it has a stricter regulation......
Old 04-09-2004, 12:11 PM   #28
aznxthuggie
AF Enthusiast

this is crazy im hoping the supercars that arrive really use what they are close to in the jgtc, there would be a v6 twin turbo skyline, and a v8 supra, but anyways u know how there are 2 classes the gt300 n the gt500 are the #s the limit of horsepower u can have on the car? because on the supras they say 470+ horsepower, but on the mclarens they say limited to, how much horsepower, yea.. so anyways help me out yah?
aznxthuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 04:09 PM   #29
VQuick
AF Enthusiast

At first glance, it looks like the GT300 and GT500 classes are limited to 300hp and 500hp, respectively. However, I'm not sure if that is outright power, or just a measurement of power to weight. I've seen power to weight measured in hp/ton, so a limit of 300 or 500hp per ton could be another possiblity.

The McLarens are most likely detuned, considering the original road cars produced 627hp.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:35 AM   #30
YukiHime
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznxthuggie
this is crazy im hoping the supercars that arrive really use what they are close to in the jgtc, there would be a v6 twin turbo skyline, and a v8 supra, but anyways u know how there are 2 classes the gt300 n the gt500 are the #s the limit of horsepower u can have on the car? because on the supras they say 470+ horsepower, but on the mclarens they say limited to, how much horsepower, yea.. so anyways help me out yah?
I thought R34 is I6...