Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Camry/Camry Hybrid/Vista
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 10:51 PM   #1
Debra123
AF Newbie

Help with Tires 2009 Camry Hybrid

When looking at reviews every tire on the market seems like junk with quickly wearing tread. Only about 4 months ago we put 4 Michelin Premier A/S on my son's car and already he has had 2 flat tires and the tread depth has gone significantly down. My daughter got 2 Premier A/S on her car and she has had 2 flat Premier's as well. I have 2 Premier's on my car, but I barely drive so I haven't had problems yet. I need two other tires and don't want more Premier's because they wear down too fast. Although it seems every tire review has complaints of quickly wearing tires. We have been buying them from Americas Tire Company. Are there any tires that actually get the mileage there supposed to? The primacy's were fantastic, but they don't sell them anymore. Thanks for your help.
Debra123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 02:47 PM   #2
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

Send a message via Yahoo to Brian R.
Re: Help with Tires 2009 Camry Hybrid

It is strange to hear about such poor tire life. Do you get your wheel alignment done when you get new tires and every 15,000 - 20,000 miles after that? Do you keep your tires inflated at the recommended pressure? I have owned many Michelin tires and have never had cause for complaint.

What has caused the flat tires? Usually it is because the tire was punctured or by a road hazard, which has nothing to do with tread wear.

One tire which has a 75,000 mile warranty is the Bridgestone - Turanza Serenity Plus.

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate"
Brian R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 02:57 PM   #3
Debra123
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian R. View Post
It is strange to hear about such poor tire life. Do you get your wheel alignment done when you get new tires and every 15,000 - 20,000 miles after that? Do you keep your tires inflated at the recommended pressure? I have owned many Michelin tires and have never had cause for complaint.

What has caused the flat tires? Usually it is because the tire was punctured or by a road hazard, which has nothing to do with tread wear.

We have them rotated every 7,000 miles and inflated by America's tires as they suggest. The Michelin Primacy's were on my sons car before the Premier's and he had over 100,000 miles on the and they were still in very good condition, but a truck hit his car so I don't know the full mileage he would have got from them. I choose the Premier's because the Primacy's were so good, so now I don't know what to use. It seems like low tread life is an issue with most tires.
Old 10-07-2016, 12:28 PM   #4
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debra123 View Post
We have them rotated every 7,000 miles and inflated by America's tires as they suggest.
Tire rotation is not what I was referring to. I meant to ask how often you got a wheel alignment. That is where they make sure that your wheels are pointed in the right direction in relation to each other and the car in general, and that they are not leaning outward or inward when driving. If this is not done, tire wear will increase and your tire mileage will suffer.

Old 10-07-2016, 02:13 PM   #5
Mike Gerber
AF -Advisor

I've had these same tires on my 07 Camry since April. I have driven about 7500 miles on them and I see no evidence of premature wear. I have also not had any flat tires. Flat tires are usually a function of where you are driving/what you are driving over, more than anything else.

Mike
Mike Gerber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 07:32 PM   #6
Debra123
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian R. View Post
Tire rotation is not what I was referring to. I meant to ask how often you got a wheel alignment. That is where they make sure that your wheels are pointed in the right direction in relation to each other and the car in general, and that they are not leaning outward or inward when driving. If this is not done, tire wear will increase and your tire mileage will suffer.
Sorry, I read your post incorrectly. I didn't know that alignment is a service people do every certain amount of miles. I thought it is only done when the car is pulling to one side. I see that you recommend every 15,000 to 20,000 miles.

I am thinking of trying the Yokohama Yk740. Do you know anything about these? It would be two of the Yokahama's and two of the Premier's. Is it bad to mix two types of tires?
Old 10-08-2016, 05:49 PM   #7
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

I would not mix any tires. Four of the same is the best situation. If you must, keep the front two the same and the rear two the same. Change them in pairs to match the others so that you end up with four of the same after one pair has worn out.

Before you judge any tires you have had, get an alignment and keep your car wheels aligned, particularly when the tires are first installed. The tires you have owned didn't die, you killed them.

Yokohama tires have a good reputation, but I don't know how they compare with the Michelins.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:33 PM   #8
JJohnson19
AF Newbie

I have had both Michelin and Yokohama tires and have been pleased with both. It might be a good idea to talk to a local tire dealer about what they best type of tires are for your area.

Last edited by JJohnson19; 03-08-2017 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Possible spam link removed.
JJohnson19 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Camry/Camry Hybrid/Vista