Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Camry/Camry Hybrid/Vista
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 11:14 PM   #1
hammarobbie
AF Newbie

93 Camry Intermittent No Start

I have a 93 Camry that has an intermittent no start problem.It cranks fine but just won't fire at times. When the engine starts it runs great The Check engine light isn't on but I have pulled DTC 12 and the tachometer doesn't work. I have replaced the distributor due to a leaking seal four years ago and then two years ago due to another leak(Napa,under warranty) and this time there is no leak. I am thinking that I may have an igniter going bad and am wondering how to test one. Any help would be greatly appreciated. P.S. engine is 2.2 L4 and no start is due to no spark, car has 211k miles on it and I've owned it since 60k

Last edited by hammarobbie; 08-23-2016 at 11:28 PM. Reason: forgot to add the info
hammarobbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 11:35 AM   #2
Mike Gerber
AF -Advisor

Re: 93 Camry Intermittent No Start

Rather than check the ignitor for a no start condition, I would check the coil inside the distributor for a hairline crack. Cracks in the plastic of the coil are more common than problems with the ignitor. Remove the coil from the distributor and inspect it all over for cracks.

Mike
Mike Gerber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 09:20 AM   #3
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

Send a message via Yahoo to Brian R.

You have to replace the ignitor with a good unit to test the old one. Mike is correct about the ignition coil. Also, you can't reliably test the ignition coil by resistance. The high voltages in the coil may be leaking and you can't test for that with a normal volt ohmmeter.

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate"
Brian R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 09:15 PM   #4
Cressidaadr
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gerber View Post
Rather than check the ignitor for a no start condition, I would check the coil inside the distributor for a hairline crack. Cracks in the plastic of the coil are more common than problems with the ignitor. Remove the coil from the distributor and inspect it all over for cracks.

Mike
I think I observed a crack in my coil a year ago but it ohm'd out perfect and no problems that I know of.

Is a crack in the coil usually going to be the kiss of death? If so maybe I better go back in and look it over again.
Old 09-10-2016, 10:51 AM   #5
Mike Gerber
AF -Advisor

Eventually it will cause problems. As the car and that coil heat up, that crack will expand. The spark will then short itself to ground on any metal inside the distributor. Also, cracks in the coil can really become problematic in wet/damp conditions. It's cheap and easy to replace it with an aftermarket coil.

Mike
Mike Gerber is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Camry/Camry Hybrid/Vista