Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Prelude
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 04:53 PM   #1
GhostWithSkin
AF Newbie

Disconnected cooling fan and car won't start

Just like the title says. Its a 93 prelude. i couldnt figure out which fuse/relay that wasnt working to cut it on so i decided to hook it up directly to the battery. now the car wont even start. it just makes a sound like the hazard lights are on. is there a way i can bypass the fuses so that the car thinks everything is fine? please help. its an emergency
GhostWithSkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:18 PM   #2
GhostWithSkin
AF Newbie

Re: Disconnected cooling fan and car won't start

i also disconnected and reconnected my battery...im starting to think thats what did it... any help would be very appreciated
Old 03-09-2012, 08:09 AM   #3
Mx5guy
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Mx5guy Send a message via Yahoo to Mx5guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostWithSkin View Post
i also disconnected and reconnected my battery...im starting to think thats what did it... any help would be very appreciated
Hi! I would like to help out but I am not picking up the story right. How did you disconnected the fan and why? Did you mean that instead the fan wasen't working and you were looking for a bad fuse as a cause, you removed one thinking it was the fan fuse or relay and now car doesn't start? If that is the case all you have to do is put the fuse back and just fix the car the right way change the coolant temp sensor/ fan switch.
Mx5guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:21 AM   #4
GhostWithSkin
AF Newbie

well it turned out to be the stupid aftermarked security system that the previous owner had put in that i was unaware of until. now. i have ripped it out and now it starts fine...sadly i have a new problem...the car overheats if im sitting at a red light, even if i have it sitting in neutral. it also overheats if i hold in the clutch while coasting downhill, so basically, if im not giving it gas, it overheats. i have the fans hooked up directly to the battery so i know they are both working. i put in a new thermostat which works fine going down the highway or interstate. all i can think of is that the fans might not have enough power? i really am running out of ideas on what is causing this. ive had a car with a blown head gasket before and that is not what this is. any help would be greatly appreciated. this thing is turning into a riddle
Old 03-10-2012, 02:11 PM   #5
Mx5guy
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Mx5guy Send a message via Yahoo to Mx5guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostWithSkin View Post
well it turned out to be the stupid aftermarked security system that the previous owner had put in that i was unaware of until. now. i have ripped it out and now it starts fine...sadly i have a new problem...the car overheats if im sitting at a red light, even if i have it sitting in neutral. it also overheats if i hold in the clutch while coasting downhill, so basically, if im not giving it gas, it overheats. i have the fans hooked up directly to the battery so i know they are both working. i put in a new thermostat which works fine going down the highway or interstate. all i can think of is that the fans might not have enough power? i really am running out of ideas on what is causing this. ive had a car with a blown head gasket before and that is not what this is. any help would be greatly appreciated. this thing is turning into a riddle
Don't worry buddy this will be over soon enough, if the fans are hooked up to the battery time to rule them out as a possible cause, they are working and they are not variable speed only one speed, your next thing to look at is a clogged radiator, bad or old radiator cap that doesn't hold the right pressure, also if the car is leak free, run the car and observe water hoses make sure you don't have a collapsing hose restricting coolant flow. But for your car to run properly and bring the car back to factory condition, you should check fan relays make sure they are working if they are fine, change the coolant sensor/fan switch to allow the fans to work automatically the way they should. Blessings and good luck.
Mx5guy is offline   Reply With Quote