Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 02:08 PM   #31
yakkk
AF Newbie

Re: Reset "Service 4WD" code?

So I connected the old actuator and it did not operate, which led me to start testing the harness. The ground did not show continuity, so I went back to check the connections that I had cleaned a couple months back. Upon closer inspection, the ground from the actuator was broken, but since it was taped to another larger ground and crimped in the same connector, it had looked fine, until I pushed on it with a screwdriver. Then it looked like this:

I added another connector and tightened it down, and lo and behold, I have 4WD!

What a freakin ordeal, I definitely learned a lesson here. Thanks for all your help!
yakkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 06:38 PM   #32
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Great lesson. Never overlook the simple things.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:30 AM   #33
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Well good that you reported the fix to this problem . wiring issues are time consuming and if YOU did not fix it , and they guess on changing all the parts first , it would cost $$$... posting the fix will help others . not surprised the 4wd computer was not the problem as the code DID reveal that locking actuator was NOT working .. wiring problems on the encoder is quite common as those wires are very easy to break another very common failure .. The weather looks good for the beach now your ready to enjoy .. I am getting my boat ready for next weekend now that the rain has stopped.. Good Luck..
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 03:22 PM   #34
yakkk
AF Newbie

If anyone needs a selector switch, hit me up, I've got a spare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yakkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 05:21 PM   #35
kenman1717
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakkk View Post
So I connected the old actuator and it did not operate, which led me to start testing the harness. The ground did not show continuity, so I went back to check the connections that I had cleaned a couple months back. Upon closer inspection, the ground from the actuator was broken, but since it was taped to another larger ground and crimped in the same connector, it had looked fine, until I pushed on it with a screwdriver. Then it looked like this:

I added another connector and tightened it down, and lo and behold, I have 4WD!

What a freakin ordeal, I definitely learned a lesson here. Thanks for all your help!
I always find it funny how this ground causes so many problems, but yet its the common ground for a lot of things, depending on year. some only have 1 or 2 wires to one eyelet while others have many wires and eyelets. I redo a lot of these grounds, because the rust is so bad here, they rot off, but what I said about the problems, sometimes its 4x4, mostly abs, sometimes cruise, some times fuel injectors, but the stupid part it only seems to effect one at a time, even though they are one a common ground that is rotted off.
kenman1717 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado