Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Tires and Wheels
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-30-2003, 04:23 PM   #1
DaveD_
AF Newbie

Knocking noise from front wheel

I'm getting a knocking noise from the front right side wheel area (drivers side). A couple of weeks ago i noticed the cv boot had become detached. There were no cracks in the boot so i re-greased it then re-sealed it. No more grease leaked so i assumed it was fine.

The knocking noise comes when i accelerate in 1st gear. It knocks about 3/4 times and i don't hear it in any other gear. Also when i'm coming off a kerb or driving up on one the front right wheel will creak a bit.

Anyone any ideas what my problem might be ?
DaveD_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 12:40 AM   #2
BullShifter
AF Moderator

Re: Knocking noise from front wheel

The CV joint inside the boot could be bad, in which case you would replace the axle.

With your car lifted & supported properly, grab the top & bottom of a front tire & shake it - do the same grabbing the front & rear facing side of tire. Grab & shake all front suspension parts, also inspect all the bushings & sway bar end links. This may help you locate the problem.
BullShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 06:10 AM   #3
csaddict
AF Enthusiast

When you lose a CV boot the joint picks up all the road grit. It should have been cleaned thoroughly before putting a new boot on. The average Joint is technically considered bad after 6 minutes of driving with it open. Thats what I learned in a seminar for drive shafts.
Custom Catback Exhaust
Short throw
H&R stage II springs
Tokico Illumina adjustables
front upper,rear upper,rear lower tie bars
ST front and rear sway bars
BOOSTED![/size]
csaddict is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Tires and Wheels