Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 11:41 PM   #1
Dugtoni
AF Newbie

Feel a bit guilty about trade-in price

Hey everyone,

Just would like others opinions on this. I bough my first ever new car today, and traded in my Honda Civic which I had been driving for 10 years. The car had a salvage title when I bought it, so when I traded it in I didn't expect to get much for it. When the guy at the dealership appraised my car he offered a lot more than I expected. Obviously I didn't try to talk him down, haha. He seemed like a reasonable guy and negotiated quite a bit down from the sticker price for the new car to the Edmund's true market value. My new car came in two days later and I was signing papers in the finance office, and there was a paper that said sign here to certify that your trade in car's title doesn't have anything like junk, salvage or lemon on it. I told the guy at the finance office that it does have a salvage title. He went and told the sales manager, who then came into the office and tried to ask if I really needed to trade the car in, and if I could just sell it on my own. I explained to him that I did not want to have to deal with this. He then explained that he was probably only going to be able to sell the car for about $600 less than what I agreed to trade the car in for because he didn't realize it was a salvaged car. I thought when he was appraising the car he would have certainly looked into the car history! I had already signed papers for the new car with the trade in being deducted from that, so the amount he gave me for the trade in factored into me deciding to purchase the car. I explained this to him, and he just said, "well, you got one by me". I didn't intentionally try and screw him over, but I did realize the trade in price he offered seemed too high. He honestly did seem like a good guy so I can't help but feel a bit guilty. Would any of you have done anything differently in my situation?
Dugtoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:31 AM   #2
CivicSpoon
There is no Spoon

Re: Feel a bit guilty about trade-in price

Most dealerships have Carfax available to them, where they pay yearly or so, and can run checks on as many cars as they want. If he didn't check it for your car, that was his mistake. A salesman is a salesman. They look to get the highest price for every car they sell, and pay out as little as possible for cars that are traded in. They'll end up making that money, as well as a profit, on the very next car they sell.
CivicSpoon is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > General Discussion