Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Taurus | Taurus Wagon
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 08:44 PM   #1
Kal Roz
AF Newbie

Odd issue with A/C

So i live in Arizona, and i need my A/C with the weather being 111 F right now. However it seems to be functioning improperly. I have a 96' Ford Taurus with 71k miles. I'm not quite sure how to put it into few words so let me describe what exactly happens. Also i would like to mention i recently had to replace a Camshaft sensor in the car. Also the A/c is not blowing cold air.

When i have the A/c on before i start my car, sometimes it will not start properly. I have to turn the key a couple times for it to actually start. When the A/c Is off a good time before starting my car it starts just fine. Before the camshaft sensor replacement i actually had that issue regardless of A/c Or not. Now it only happens when the A/C is on. Also if my A/c is off and i'm idling the car will be fine, RPM at about 1k or so. when the A/c comes on however, the RPM will, every 3-4 seconds go from 1k to about 2.2k and it will kind of..... Bounce? It jerks forward and then back, then after about 5 seconds it goes back to normal. Also if i do not have my foot on the gas and just let the car go by itself, when the A/c is on, it will do that and accelerate a bit faster and wonkier, than if the A/c is off. So i figured its something to do with my A/c and i have no idea what is going on. I would like to possibly know what might be wrong so i can see if i can fix it my self, or if i absolutely HAVE to take it somewhere. I do not have much money at the moment and driving with my son is hell and torture only because i get scared that he is getting over heated. I worry about him getting to hot in the car because my A/c is not working properly. I will be checking if there is enough Refrigerant.

So if you have any more questions about the car i am more than willing to answer, I do appreciate any and all help you can provide. I am no stranger to working on cars, not professionally, but i have changed a few radiators, the camshaft sensor, i took out the heater core to my previous car, and i have changed a fuel injection system, and catalytic converter. Not saying anything more than i am willing to do it myself if i can.
Kal Roz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:25 PM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: Odd issue with A/C

It sounds possible that your Idle Air Control servo may not be functioning properly, either due to the passages to and/or from the motor being restricted or plugged, or due to a faulty servo itself.

You can kind of test the theory by turning the steering wheel all the way to one of the locks and noting if the engine stumbles or stalls. If so, it would seem the IAC servo is not reacting appropriately to changing loads on the engine.

-Rod
shorod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 08:54 PM   #3
Kal Roz
AF Newbie

Re: Odd issue with A/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorod View Post
It sounds possible that your Idle Air Control servo may not be functioning properly, either due to the passages to and/or from the motor being restricted or plugged, or due to a faulty servo itself.

You can kind of test the theory by turning the steering wheel all the way to one of the locks and noting if the engine stumbles or stalls. If so, it would seem the IAC servo is not reacting appropriately to changing loads on the engine.

-Rod
I tried that and it was normal. I ended up changing the oil, as i had forgotten for quite a while, and i put some Refrigerant in the car and now the AC runs well. Thank you for your reply though.
Kal Roz is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Taurus | Taurus Wagon