Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Century
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 10:35 AM   #1
notreallyamoron
AF Newbie

98 century trans won't engage. No R or D.

I have a 1998 buick Century, automatic trans, that has been running great. No issues. All of a sudden today after driving about an hour I was re entering the X way when it seemed to shift into neutral. I pulled over and engine still running fine, no noises, shift to park then go through gears and nothing. It actually seems to be in neutral. Once I got it home I started it put it in gear and was able to push the car forward. I did find a fuse labeled Trans., it was fine. I thought it might be electrical so I pulled the positive battery cable for a while then tried again. I see a lot of mention of PCS problems with these cars but no syptoms similar to mine. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
notreallyamoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 01:29 PM   #2
efeyen
AF Newbie

Re: 98 century trans won't engage. No R or D.

What does the transmission fluid look like?
efeyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 06:52 PM   #3
GTP Dad
Pontiac Guy

Check to make sure there is plenty of fluid in the transmission but this sounds like you have a true transmission issue that will require professional intervention. It sounds like the transmission failed internally especially since it won't move in any gear.
GTP Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 07:23 AM   #4
notreallyamoron
AF Newbie

Fluid looks OK and I fear it is an internal issue also, just hoping otherwise. I was surprised at how suddenly it went out, no shuddering or hesitation, just all at once. The car is getting picked up by a trans shop today, Ill post results when I find out.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:32 AM   #5
efeyen
AF Newbie

Question Re: 98 century trans won't engage. No R or D.

Very weird how it didn't show any signs before failure.
efeyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:14 AM   #6
notreallyamoron
AF Newbie

Yeah, I was told the pump had failed. I can get a low mileage used trans. for 300 and he wants 450 to install it with a 30 day warranty. Does this sound about right, or can the pump usually be repaired?
Old 11-16-2009, 06:49 PM   #7
GTP Dad
Pontiac Guy

The warranted trans is the way to go. If you want the pump replaced have a tranny shop give you an estimate as it still requires the transmission to be dropped to replace it. I will cost a lot more to repair than to replace!
GTP Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:14 PM   #8
double_l
AF Newbie

The trans in my '89 wagon has been replaced twice in a period of 15 years. In both times, the tranny would only go reverse and not forward. Both times, it happend suddenly. No noises or grinding in warning or shifting hard or jerking. So it's not surprising that you're tranny failed unexpectedly. The first time it was replaced with a rebuilt through the dealer. That one lasted almost 7 years. And it cost almost $3,000.
I went through a wrecker the second time and that cost me $500 and a small shop installed it for almost $500 but it's been shifting hard and shifting into neutral when I hit the gas immediately after hitting the brake. I got it replaced through the wreckers 30 day warranty and still the same thing occured.
It's a lot cheaper, but when you do it through a wrecker but you have no idea what the mileage of that tranny is, what it came out of (a wreck or a guy who didn't want to replace a failed engine for example.).
Do some research, but if you have the cash, go for the rebuilt. It's a lot more money, but you know more information about it and a GM has replaced the parts that failed in the past with new ones. So it should last longer than a wrecker.
Good luck.
double_l is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
buick , century , tranny , transmission
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Century