Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 01:54 PM   #1
Lorenza
AF Newbie

Is it necessary to have working shocks, struts and bearings?

I am new to this forum and I am the first to say I'm not well versed on cars. Thought I would come here and perhaps get an unbiased opinion.

I have a 2006 Honda Civic with very high mileage. I do a lot of driving.

I went to get an alignment and they said they couldn't do it because the struts and bearings were shot. They have never been replaced.

I need to have all the struts and bearings replaced, which will be a pretty costly repair.

My boyfriend said that shocks, struts and bearings are not necessary, it's an unnecessary expense and that the vehicle can function perfectly without them.

I tend to disagree. I see it as a safety issue. No one told me this, I arrived at my own conclusions. Perhaps I'm wrong, which is why I'm here to get opinions. He says that I'm gullible and I accept any tripe that any shifty hustler mechanic feeds to me to get my $$$ and force me to buy fancy extras I don't need and that I want high-priced accessories for the car for fashion purposes.

I simply want the car to be safe, reliable and functional, I could care less about fashion and appearances.

So my question is, can I drive a car, particularly long distances, without working shocks, struts and bearings?
Lorenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 02:35 PM   #2
gmtech1
AF Enthusiast

Re: Is it necessary to have working shocks, struts and bearings?

Shocks, struts and bearings (I'm assuming front hub bearings) are all very important safety items. If the bearings have excessive play in them, then an alignment is useless until they are replaced. I would take the vehicle to a quality shop for a second opinion before spending the $$$.
gmtech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 06:14 AM   #3
Tonia Bond
AF Newbie

Try replacing only the damaged strut. Because it's too costly. So taking your safety into consideration, replace the items which are damaged
Tonia Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 06:35 AM   #4
bellaCuba
AF Regular

You do struts/shocks in pairs anyway, fronts or rears and yes they can be a safety issue (otherwise it wouldn't be part of a state safety inspection). When bad, they hinder braking time along with adding sway & less vehicle control .... Bearings are even more important if they are the hub bearings because that's how your wheels spin. If they completely go bad, you damage brakes, wheel can come off & you put yourself & others in danger.
There are also bearings in strut mounts but why put struts without new mounts. These allow the wheels & strut assembly to turn side to side. Do the work all at once will also safe on labor costs.

Bad struts & shocks will also prematurely wear out your tires.
Now with the bearings, you need to be a little more specific on which you are referring to. Wheel/hub bearings (very important) or bearings in strut mount (not as important but why do the work twice & likely pay twice)?

PS
I also agree with GMTECH1 above, about the 2nd opinion. Some shops will push for work you don't need. If they are indeed bad, they are important & should be done.

PPS
Alignments can only be accurately done with fairly new tires... if worn or uneven, don't bother paying for one. You'll be wasting cash there.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:57 PM   #5
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

A bad shock/strut isn't going to wear your tires. It is only going to make your ride rougher. Also a car with "worn" tires can be aligned without issue as long as they are worn evenly.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:50 PM   #6
gmtech1
AF Enthusiast

gmtech1 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General