Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-27-2002, 07:26 PM   #1
speediva
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to speediva Send a message via Yahoo to speediva
I'm looking...

For a bike, as some of you may know...

If any of you have any sort of 500-600cc bikes for sale, or know anyone who does, please contact them. It would be exceptionally great if they were somewhere near the East Coast.

In particular I've been browsing at:

Kawasaki Ninja ex500
Suzuki Katana 600

Thanks in advance!

2005 Subaru Forester 2.5X
1997 Honda Civic EX Coupe

Inform yourself:
AF User Guidelines
speediva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 02:40 PM   #2
Kennedy200
AF Enthusiast

Look in some online classifieds

www.2wf.com
www.motorcycle.com

Don't forget the local auto trader, and of course E Bay.

Don't rule out the Suzuki SV650.
Kennedy200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 12:26 AM   #3
speediva
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Kennedy200
Look in some online classifieds

www.2wf.com
www.motorcycle.com

Don't forget the local auto trader, and of course E Bay.

Don't rule out the Suzuki SV650.
Hey, thanks. I've been cruising e-bay, cycletrader online, and the local auto trader as well as the local newspaper ads. I'll have to check out those other two.

As for the SV650... it tends to run a bit high in terms of $$$ for what I want right now. That, and I'm going for low cc's so I have something to "graduate" to later on. I know that if I played around on my dad's single cylinder 650 I could hurt myself a good one, so 500-600cc is all the higher I need to play with.

Inform yourself:
AF User Guidelines
Old 05-30-2002, 02:12 AM   #4
R1-rider
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to R1-rider Send a message via AIM to R1-rider
I would look for like a GS550, early 90's models. They are very clean and modern looking even compared to todays street fighter style bikes, and still has some belly under it.

Never be afraid of a bike that has the possibility to throw you around easily, just respect the bike and what it is capable of and you will be fine. Make sure that your intuitive reactions are correct, so that split second decisions are always the right one.

Then just wear gear so you dont become a human crayon, and have fun.
R1-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 07:22 AM   #5
stevedave
AF Newbie

I have a Suzuki Katana 600. I have been thinking about selling it, but can't bring myself to spend the money for a new bike (I am still in college). If you are interested, we can talk, I can't guarantee I am goign to sell the bike. But at least if you have any questions, I can help answer them for you.

**R1 rider, you say to wear proper gear. What kind of gear do you suggest? Full Leathers? Just leather coat? What kind of helmet?
stevedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 01:17 AM   #6
speediva
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by stevedave
I have a Suzuki Katana 600. I have been thinking about selling it, but can't bring myself to spend the money for a new bike (I am still in college). If you are interested, we can talk, I can't guarantee I am goign to sell the bike. But at least if you have any questions, I can help answer them for you.

**R1 rider, you say to wear proper gear. What kind of gear do you suggest? Full Leathers? Just leather coat? What kind of helmet?
Sweet! What year is it? I'm in college too, so I understand the whole money issue (esp. since I'm putting myself through). Where are you at in PA???

And just for sh!ts and giggles, here's the minimum of what I wear when riding:
-Padded leather motorcycle jacket (as in made-for-riding)
-jeans
-sturdy cowhide over-the-ankle leather boots
-full face helmet
-padded summer motorcycle gloves

edit: I forgot to mention them too!

Inform yourself:
AF User Guidelines

Last edited by speediva; 06-01-2002 at 12:25 AM.
Old 05-31-2002, 08:48 AM   #7
stevedave
AF Newbie

the bike is a '98 Suzuki Katana 600, color is Katana blue. It is the first year of their new styling, basically look like that 2002 Katanas, just don't have the yellow stripe. I live near Gettysburg, PA. The Katana is a great starter bike, but the problem for me is that I have had it since december and I already want a bigger bike. But that is me. I was use to driving a 1200 Bandit (my dad's) before I bought the 600. So I was going from bigger to smaller. May not be as bad for you since you are just starting. It is a good bike though. Has its disadvantages, but overall, a great starter bike.
Old 05-31-2002, 11:27 AM   #8
Big Lebowski
AF Newbie

I would also get some gloves. I've been down before and my gloves got trashed. I would hate to think what my hands would have looked like.

I highly recommend a used bike for your first one. If you want to go sportbike your first go around....
A Kat/Bandit 600 are both good bikes. You can find those pretty cheap. I just recently rode a Ninja 250 and unless you are a small person I couldn't imagine keeping it more than 2 months. I would go for a Ninja 500 or a Suz Gs first.

As far as cruisers...(and I am a sportbike guy) there are lots of benefits over sportbikes. First off insurance is so much cheaper. Usually as a used bike they have been ridden easier than most used sportbikes. Good passenger seating (most/ not all) I think the police are SLIGHTLY more tolerate. Also I think its easier to take your test with some of the cruisers because they can turn alot easier/tighter than most sportbikes.

As far as choices..well its about as much as you can afford to spend. V-Stars, Intruders,Magnas,Shadows,Drifters,Vulcans,, etc... are all pretty close as far as performance and handling. Some have better braking and some ride passengers better.

just my $.02
Big Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 12:30 AM   #9
speediva
AF Fanatic

I've looked at some cruisers, but none are in the price range I want. Either they're from the 1970's or they're Harleys. I guess the Pittsburgh motorcycle market just isn't big on cruisers. Not to mention that I've already passed my licensing test, so I don't need to worry so much about counterweight turns, etc. on a sportier bike.

At this point I'm looking into late 1980's models of the Ninja 500ex because the price is right. Here's hoping I can find a bike soon since my doggone car is trying to die again...

Inform yourself:
AF User Guidelines
Old 06-04-2002, 09:30 AM   #10
stevedave
AF Newbie

saturntangerine, what is your email. i am thinking about buying a new bike and was wondering what you would buy my Katana 600 for. send me an email at nklinedinst@hotmail.com. It is a 98 Katana with 13,500 miles. Great mechanical condition, just had new tires put on, air and oil filters replaced, starter checked and the oil will be changed this week. Has one scratch under left front turn signal, but because of the shape of the body, not noticeable. Delivery can be worked out. Send me an email and let me know, I know this is a last minute thing, but saw this bike and it is important you respond quickly. Not sure if I will sell the bike, depends on what the price of the other bike ends up being. But send me your offer anyways just in case.