Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Tires and Wheels
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 06:43 PM   #1
qdanita
AF Newbie

Car is low

Hello, I have a 96 Honda Accord LX 4dr. My boyfriend changed the springs to racing lowering springs & now the car is too low (he told me it gives the car better handling). I am tired of the bumper hittiing the ground over potholes and driveways. I was told by him to get bigger tires to raise the car. I currently have 15in tires. I wanted to get 18s or 20s. 1 mechanic told me not to to get bigger tires because the tires would then rub on the car when there is heavy weight inside the car. What do you guys think???? Thanks!!!

Danita
qdanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 06:29 AM   #2
dave92cherokee
AF Enthusiast

Re: Car is low

Why not just tell him to put the original springs back in the car, and if he wants to mess with a car do it to his own car. But on a honda you're never going to fit 20's in there and be able to drive it at all even stock height. Largest fwd wheels I've seen on honda is 17 and sometimes 18 but they don't have the room for anything bigger. Best bet if you're tired of the bumper dragging on stuff is to tell him to just put the original springs back then give him a smack down for messin with it in the first place.
dave92cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 02:16 AM   #3
drdisque
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to drdisque

You can fit 19's on an accord, but you would probably have to go back to stock ride height to do that.

Tell your boyfriend not to mess with your car anymore. He clearly doesn't know what he's doing.
2011 Mazda2 Touring

Past cars:
2007 Mazda 6S 5-door MT
1999 Ford Taurus SE Duratec
drdisque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 06:16 PM   #4
J-Ri
AF Enthusiast

You'd be lucky to get a lift of .5" with it lowered without tires rubbing. Re-installing the stock springs is definately the way to go... unless he made the lowering springs himself with a smoke wrench .

Also, the last number in a tire size isn't the size of the tire, it's the size of the rim... My 15" tires on my truck are bigger than any 20" you'll see on a car. You would be able to go with a larger tire and keep the 15" rims.
Poly engine/trans/control arm bushings
Self built and self programmed progressive methanol injection system
J-Ri is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Tires and Wheels