Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Frontier | Navara
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-20-2004, 12:21 PM   #1
SSL 1900
AF Newbie

2005 Frontier

I'm currently deciding on wether I should buy the 2005 Frontier or Tacoma.

Right now, I'm leaning considerably towards the Nissan. The Frontier 4.0L V6 pumps out AT LEAST 250hp according to Nissan, but with the same VQ engine used in the 350Z which makes 287hp--only bigger, this new Frontier power plant could very easily produce 280-290, I suspect. I think they are waiting until the very end to relase actual figures for this thing in order to keep Toyota with thier Tacoma and Dodge with thier Dakota (and the rest of us for that matter) in the dark. It'll probably be 265-270. The Tacoma falls far short of the Frontier in terms of power. Tacoma's 3.4L V6 only manages to make 190bhp; not even Toyotas performence model, the 'Tacoma X-Runner', comes close with 240bhp. Only after the addtion of the optional TRD supercharged package does it's power surpass that of the Frontier. Whereas the new Dakota with its 4.7L V8 makes 235hp.

It is worth to note that this X-Runner has made 0.9 Gs on the skid-pad!
SSL 1900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 02:51 PM   #2
blackknight03
AF Newbie

yeah it really depends on what you want... all tacoma v6 models in 2005 have the 245 hp 4.0v6. Nissan released final figures on the Frontier. Its v6 will be pumping out 265hp and 284 lb. ft. If you like the x-runner, Nissan won't be offereing a similar package as of yet. So as far as street trucks go, the Colorado Extreme and much faster Tacoma X-Runner are your ownly choice (since the Dakota R/T is deceased). As far as a 4x4 or 4x2 off-road goes the new Frontier and Tacoma's are at the top of their class. The Dakota really reaches into it's own class with it's slightly higher price and v8 engines (gas guzzlers). The new Tacoma and Frontier have very upscale interiors, more room in both the ext. cabs and crew cabs and great utility and off-road packages. If you are looking at crewcabs only the frontier can be had with a sunroof and either truck is available with it's v6 and a 6 SPEED MANUAL (woo-hoo). I find interesting is the fact that Toyota and Nissan switched on the availability of a long-bed with the crew cab. Toyota offers it for 05 where as nissan no longer does on it's 05! Hope this helps in your decision making! As for me I think this winter i'm going to trade my 03 Frontier Desert Runner SE Ext. Cab for a 2005Frontier Crew Cab SE off-Road w/ a sunroof and the 6spd manual!

Later,
blackknight03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 04:59 PM   #3
Frontin'
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to Frontin'
Re: 2005 Frontier

id go with the tacomas, there fucking sick looking! i havnt seen the 05 frontier yet. but im willing to bet the new tacos have more room, there fucking huge!
Frontin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 04:05 PM   #4
SSL 1900
AF Newbie

The Frontier is bigger than the Tacoma, I'm pretty sure.

@blackknight: Toyota has a 4L Tacoma? Because I read 190 for the 3.4L, that's why. I had no idea about a 4L.

"...and Toyota Tacoma’s 3.4-liter V-6 wimpers in at 190 hp and 220 lb-ft."

Nissan doesn't have a street package for the Frontier like Chevy and Toyota but they do have a Nismo off-road package for it.
Old 11-21-2004, 07:43 PM   #5
blackknight03
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSL 1900
The Frontier is bigger than the Tacoma, I'm pretty sure.

@blackknight: Toyota has a 4L Tacoma? Because I read 190 for the 3.4L, that's why. I had no idea about a 4L.

"...and Toyota Tacoma’s 3.4-liter V-6 wimpers in at 190 hp and 220 lb-ft."

Nissan doesn't have a street package for the Frontier like Chevy and Toyota but they do have a Nismo off-road package for it.
that was the 1997-2004 tacoma that has the 3.4 L but the 05 has the same 4.0 as the new for 2003 4 runner. it's ownly drawback that i've heard is that it that motor has developed a ticking problem in the 4runners after a few months. whether that was fixed for this year... I have no clue. The 4.0 in the frontier is a bored out version of the 3.5L in all the nissan cars. The tacoma is slightly bigger than the nissan especially in the new longbed Double cab version. but your right the new Nismo off-road package on the frontier is supposed to be pretty sweet. Like I said, it just depends on what you are loooking for in your truck!

Later,
Old 11-22-2004, 01:31 AM   #6
Frontin'
AF Newbie

the new tacos are almost as big as the old tundras, park em side by side there about the same....im positive the frontier isnt that big....the one i saw looked about the same as last yrs. maybe not thou
Old 11-23-2004, 03:28 PM   #7
SSL 1900
AF Newbie

You've seen the new Fronteir? Is it out down there in the States yet?
Old 11-23-2004, 05:51 PM   #8
Frontin'
AF Newbie

theres a pic, if u ask me they look about the same size, and there for damn sure ugly as fuck in my opinion, lol. dude no questions asked hit up the toyota, i really think ull be happest with it. and the quad cab tacoma, is even bigger, they didnt take a small truck and keep it the same size, lol jsut look

[IMG]http://www.1000islandstoyota.com/ne...s/tacoma05b.jpg{/IMG]

compared to the older tacos

Old 11-23-2004, 06:05 PM   #9
Frontin'
AF Newbie

http://www.consumerreports.org/conte...ages/4087.jpeg

theres a pic, if u ask me they look about the same size, and there for damn sure ugly as fuck in my opinion, lol. dude no questions asked hit up the toyota, i really think ull be happest with it. and the quad cab tacoma, is even bigger, they didnt take a small truck and keep it the same size, lol jsut look

http://www.1000islandstoyota.com/new.../tacoma05b.jpg

http://www.1000islandstoyota.com/new.../tacoma05c.jpg

compared to the older tacos

http://allautoreviews.com/auto_revie...ta-tacoma5.jpg
Old 11-23-2004, 06:10 PM   #10
Frontin'
AF Newbie

ignore the 1st post sorry, it wouldnt let me delete it and the pics didnt work for somereason? oh well just click the links tehy work
Old 12-02-2004, 08:27 AM   #11
bagwell
AF Newbie

the new Tacos look a little bigger, a little meaner. The Frontier looks a lot better than the ugly 01-04 models...if you're looking at the 2 - the Nissan should be much cheaper than the Toyota.
bagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 10:42 AM   #12
blackknight03
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 2005 Frontier

yeah I looked at a tacoma 4 door 4x4 last week with just a cloth interior
power stuff and the TRD off-road package and the sticker was 30,000!!! And good luck getting one at anything below sticker since the dealer only had 3 on the lot and one was sold. The other thing that sucks is down here in texas all the toyota dealerships add at least 1000 if not 2000 of dealer add-on's like protection packages, pinstriping, etc. At least nissan dealers are already selling the 05 pathfinders for at least 1500 under sticker! that will be a good sign for the frontier when it arrives at an already chaper price than the tacoma!

later,
Old 12-02-2004, 04:56 PM   #13
SSL 1900
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: 2005 Frontier

30 grand? How?? That's what it costs in Canadian $.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Frontier | Navara