Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Videos
Car Videos Got a crazy video to share?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 05:39 PM   #1
trev0006
AF Enthusiast

Race Acura NSX vs. Race Nissan Sentra SE-R

http://freecache.org/http://buckfang...pass040604.wmv

Mods on Sentra:
Engine: 9:1 JDM SR20DET with GT3037 ball-bearing turbo
JWT Custom Tuned ECU, Custom Fuel Rail with 72 lb. injectors,
Cobra MAF, BFR Side Exit Exhaust, Fluidyne Radiator, big intercooler, water injection
trev0006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 06:17 AM   #2
indyram
AF Enthusiast

Re: Race Acura NSX vs. Race Nissan Sentra SE-R

An NSX isn't all that great or that fast. A low HP car can easliy beat a NSX.
indyram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 06:53 AM   #3
engineer
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to engineer

^WTF^ ????? i like this line... "a low HP car can easily beat an NSX". well please show me a "low hp" car that can, because best motoring raced an R34 GTR Vspec and an NSX S-zero and not only did the NSX win, it clocked a 12.9. also that NSX (from above video) didnt seem to be driving full out, look how early his braking points were. oh yeah and i still want u to show me a "low hp" car that can beat an NSX, at the 1/4mile not to mention real racing which is what it was made for. and no, im not a Honda fanatic, but i do love the NSX
engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 06:56 AM   #4
engineer
Banned

and if the car in your signature is any indication of the cars you like and what kind of person you are, then im not surprised at you making such ignorant comments
Old 07-29-2004, 06:59 AM   #5
engineer
Banned

plus that sentra is very heavily modified, but it doesnt say what the NSX has, for all we know it could have been detuned for reliability
Old 07-29-2004, 11:12 AM   #6
MexSiR
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to MexSiR

True.

What the engineer said.
Porsche RS America
BMW 323 01
Pictures of my ride (Pictures)
MexSiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 12:34 AM   #7
indyram
AF Enthusiast

Well I'm not familiar with the NSX-S Zero or what the specs are on it. But the NSX-T runs the quarter in 13.7, how about the SRT-4 which runs it in 14 with only 220hp. I didn't say that the NSX was modded, the sentra obviously is. What I was saying was that many smaller cars can be modded to beat exotics like that. They look nice, but at nearly $100K or more I would definately opt for a viper. Also that car in my sig is a truck. A supercharged truck with over 500hp that is quite fast to be exact.
Old 07-30-2004, 01:03 AM   #8
engineer
Banned

13.7 ?? it should easily do less... but as i said NSX wanst made to go in a straight line....
Old 07-30-2004, 06:55 AM   #9
indyram
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Race Acura NSX vs. Race Nissan Sentra SE-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer
and if the car in your signature is any indication of the cars you like and what kind of person you are, then im not surprised at you making such ignorant comments
So tell me what kind of person you think I am. I never said that it was a straight racing car. I am sure that it does what it's intended to do or else it wouldn't still be in production.
Old 08-01-2004, 11:10 AM   #10
lanevoMR
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Race Acura NSX vs. Race Nissan Sentra SE-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyram
So tell me what kind of person you think I am. I never said that it was a straight racing car. I am sure that it does what it's intended to do or else it wouldn't still be in production.
I'm not going to go so far as to make a general statement as to what kind of person you are, but I will say that you are truly ignorant as to what the NSX was engineered to do and what it is capable of. The NSX would easily beat that 500 hp truck on a race track(yes one with turns) and it would do it with about half as much torque and horsepower. You see in a road going race car like the NSX, power is not the all important factor, although it is a factor that determines the cars capability, more important is the cars specifications and performance in regards to suspension setup, weight distribution, weight, chasis stiffness, tire choices etc.. These elements have been elegantly and painstakingly engineered in the NSX. Honda took the wisdom and experience from its 4 consecutive F1 victories against Mercedes and Ferrari in the early 90's and created the NSX, a car with true racing heritage, very much unlike that dodge truck in your signature.

It's quite obvious you know next to nothing about the NSX and your qualification of what constitutes a fast car quite apparently only applies to cars that accelerate quickly in a STRAIGHT LINE context. However, as you will someday learn, and as the more educated auto enthusiasts know, the most important characteristic of any car is it's balance and the manner in which it responds to driver input. In this regard the NSX is known to be the most balanced, capable, forgiving and refined sports car ever engineered. This and it received an award from JD Powers as being the most reliable CAR PERIOD, over a 5 year time span.

You see the difference between a 500 hp 4500 lb drag racing truck and 290 hp 2800 lb street going race car is only too apparent once you are on a race track. With the truck you have almost twice as much mass to accelerate through corners, to slow down and to move forward, the result is that the driver feels like they are in a nearly 5000 lb truck, that heavy truck was never designed nor intended to be a viable contender on a racing circuit. The NSX however, with nearly a 50% power deficit than the 500 hp truck will easily, and with grace, outrun the truck on a race track, with balance and precision, the truck driver could only dream about.

There are actually several iterations of the NSX, from the 250 hp auto 1991 US spec 3300 lb NSX that runs a 14 sec 1/4 mile, to the 300 hp 2700 lb Type R NSX that runs a 12 sec 1/4 mile and variants in between. You see the NSX type R is more than capable than competing and beating some of quicker cars available on a race track, such as the Z06, SVT Cobra, and Lamborghini Gallardo. The problem inherent in your approach to evaluating a car, is your failure to consider all aspects of an automobile, the most important of which are the cars handling characteristics and limits, as well as predictability. To truly appreciate a car one needs to know the ease of which the car can be actually driven fast at the limits. One needs to know, are the car's limits abrupt and unpredictable, or are the cars limits smooth and predicatable in a car like the NSX. The NSX-R and Skyline GT-R are two of the few production cars that have broken the 8 min barrier at Nurburgring in Germany, a highly technical and complete road course that is highly regarded by many in the automotive world as one of the premiere testing circuits for a sports car. For comparison here are the times of other elite production cars.

911 (996) Turbo - 7:56
GT3 - 8:03
GT2 - 7:46
GT3 Cup - 7:49

The Z06 is reported to have run a 7:56, the quickest time is a 6:56 by a Formula 1 car. So you see an NSX -R and Skyline GT-R with 100 hp less than the z06 and most other of the cars can run equivalent or quicker times on a race track. Maybe this will help you to better understand a fast car is not determined by hp and 1/4 miles times alone, balance, and handling characteristics are far more important on a race track.

The truth is the NSX R and some of its lesser variants are consistently and undeniably quicker around a race track than cars with a lot more horsepower. The NSX is a simple and elegant illustration of how precise engineering and careful consideration of essential factors affecting a cars handling characteristics and performance can result in a car that outhandles and outruns cars with twice the power.

Furthermore I'm fairly certain you are not aware that Japanese car manufacturers have a "gentlemen's agreement" not to exceed 276 bhp on production autos. That is THE ONLY reason why the NSX doesn't have 400+ hp. To circumvent this handicap, companies like Toyota and Nissan overengineer cars like the Skyline GT-R so that although it may only come with ~300 hp from the factory, the engine will reliably take upwards of 600 hp, and cars like the Toyota Supra Turbo which has been shown to take over 1000 hp on the factory engine.

Your analysis of what makes a car fast is incomplete and terribly simplified, however with more experience and knowledge of cars and the forces affecting them, invariably you will come to a better and more complete understanding of what constitutes a "fast car".

Last edited by lanevoMR; 08-01-2004 at 11:51 AM.
lanevoMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 01:01 AM   #11
indyram
AF Enthusiast

I was coming from more of a drag racing perspective, yes I know that the video was at a track. The fact that the quarter mile time was brought up I just elaborated on it a bit. Like I also said I don't know a huge deal about the NSX, and also said that I am sure it is very good at what it was built for which obviously it is. I am much more into drag racing than road course other than Nascar which is only 2 road courses on the circuit so I don't know a great deal about road racing. I will try to learn more. I wasn't trying to say much of anything about road course racing, as I don't know much about it.
Old 08-02-2004, 01:28 AM   #12
engineer
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Race Acura NSX vs. Race Nissan Sentra SE-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyram
HAHAHA... u got absolutely OWNED, and to put the icing on the cake and hand me an absolute killer.... u admit that u only like drag racing, and, wait for it.... NASCAR!!!..... CARS GOING AROUND IN CIRCLES!!!!! wow, they may be doin 180mph+, who cares. and that is exactly the type of person i thought u would be.
Old 08-02-2004, 01:50 PM   #13
mospeed1
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to mospeed1

the sentra realed him in like he was fishing..the nissan made me proud
mospeed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 01:57 PM   #14
lamehonda
AF Enthusiast

I still need proof that they were racing, the NSX was braking way too early for the turns. this looks like one of those "I beat a ferrari" things. too bad they weren't racing
2005 Nissan Frontier ext cab 4x4 4.0L-Sold
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 500r-Sold
2004 Yamaha FZ1 Silver/Black- Sold
2008 Mazdaspeed 3-In the driveway
lamehonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 01:14 AM   #15
engineer
Banned

lol... i already said that but hey, thanks for backin me up m8