Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Nova | Prizm | Spectrum | Sprint
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 04:59 PM   #1
ed408140
AF Newbie

fluid leak up in dash 1991 geo prism

I have 1991 geo prism runs great,I have fliud comming from somewhere up in the dashboard near the gauges running down the steering colum down the brake pedal onto my foot.I pulled the dash apart by the steering colum and see fluid up near the bolts that hold up the steering wheel frame.It's seems to be oiled based, i checked all hoeses and fluids levels under the hood,everything looks ok. I'm puzzeld, what can this be.
ed408140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 06:09 PM   #2
Arkay01
AF Newbie

Re: fluid leak up in dash 1991 geo prism

I have q 91 Prism also. Today I noticed the same thing. I got to work and an oil of some sort has started dripping onto my shoe. I looked up under the dash and can see the fluid, but cannot tell where it is coming from. Why is there an oil inside the car. It smells burnt. I just changed the oil a couple days ago, its good. The brake fluid and power steering are still full under the hood. I had the tranny rebuilt 3-4 months ago. The car is running great. I cannot have this dripping on my dress shoes. I have to drive an hour to work and the weather is getting bad. What can this be?
Arkay01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 07:19 PM   #3
Arkay01
AF Newbie

Heres the deal. I took my dash out. Once I got the instrument panel out, I could see what the problem was. The tranny is pushing fluid up and thru the speedometer cable. It leaks out of the key slot that aligns it to the instrument panel and runs back down the cable. It is diverted by the cable guide(s) and it probably puddles on the steering column bracket until it drips down. I don't know if this is a worn out speedo cable or a tranny problem.
Funny that this happenned on two vehicles on the same day in this forum.
Not to mention the same year and make of car. I had my tranny rebuilt 3-4 months ago. I think its the cable.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:57 AM   #4
rockwood84
AF Enthusiast

the trans has a vent on the top of it make sure it is not covered up.
rockwood84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 05:19 PM   #5
Arkay01
AF Newbie

I took it back to the trans shop. I ended up taking it back 2-3 times. They ripped it out and still are not sure why it did this. They changed the part of the differential where the cable connects and it is better now. At least I don't have fluid runs on my good work shoes anymore.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Nova | Prizm | Spectrum | Sprint