Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > G6
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 03:22 PM   #1
glsattory
AF Newbie

G6 headlights

My daughters 07 G6 keeps burning out headlights. Back in April one burnt out, and about three weeks ago they both burnt out at the same time. Now again last night one burnt out again! It's just the low beams. Any ideas? For one she can't afford to keep replacing them and the other thing they are a pain to do! Thanks
glsattory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:44 PM   #2
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Re: G6 headlights

Who is replacing them? when you install them, you can't touch the bulb with your fingers....the oil on your fingers, can stress the glass of the bulb, as it heats up, causing a crack or glass breakage...once that happens the inert gas is lost and the filament burns up....

The other possibility is using the wrong bulb....

Still another is the headlight capsule may have a leak and is allowing water in, and the water hits that hot bulb, it's all over...

Also, if your alternator is overcharging, could cause the bulb to blow...
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:17 PM   #3
glsattory
AF Newbie

Thanks for the reply. A local garage replaced the bulbs last time. How do you recommend testing the alternator?
Old 11-03-2013, 08:47 AM   #4
Tech II
AF Fanatic

First, you need to make sure the correct bulbs were used.....

Second, need to know that they were installed correctly(no fingers touching the bulb!)....

Third, look for water in the lens capsule.....

As for the alternator, sometimes a code will be set.....it may not turn on the CE light.....Does the dash have a voltage gage? If it does, compare it to a voltmeter across the battery.....should be the same....watch gage for jumps while driving, especially when turning "loads" on the system on/off....

Alternators can be tricky......they may surge in a split second, and you wouldn't even notice it....the sad part is, they may may not be "surging" while you test them.....I would check the first three items again......then, check the connections at the alternator that they are clean and tight.....

Just for ha-ha's, take the vehicle to a place like Autozone, where they can check for codes in the car for free.....if you find a high voltage code, it could be the alternator.....but it could also be the PCM(computer), or the BCM(body control module), whichever one regulates the alternator....

Another possibility, is to go to a local GM garage, and ask them to look up TSB's, to see if there is a bulletin on your year G6, for this problem occurring....
Old 11-03-2013, 01:41 PM   #5
glsattory
AF Newbie

Went to replace the bulb today. I pulled the headlight assembly out twisted the bulb to take out and it came on. I put it all back together tested the lights a few more times and it went out again. I tapped on the assembly and it came back on. I pulled the assembly out again and looked at the plug closer and I was showing signs if melting. I have heard this is a common problem with the G6. I went to An auto parts store and replaced the plug. Now lets hope no more melting and the problem is solved!!
Old 11-03-2013, 08:16 PM   #6
Tech II
AF Fanatic

The garage replacing those bulbs should have seen this....
Old 01-27-2015, 08:42 AM   #7
Levithan9
AF Newbie

I work as a auto tech, and have seen this before on several GM vehicles. Apparently, their is a problem with the wiring harness/pigtail connector. The fix is to cut the pigtail at the headlight connector, and crimp in a new UPDATED connector available only at GM dealerships.

It should come with an instruction sheet and a few weather-tite connectors.

Their are 2 black wires that need to be connected together, so be sure to read before you crimp. Best way to do it is to just twist the wires together as per the instruction sheet, and then test headlight operation. If it works, you got the wiring right. Make sure to test hi-beam operation as well.

If all is good, disassemble, and then crimp. Then do the same for the other side.

Hope that helps out.
Levithan9 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > G6