Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 07:01 AM   #1
clcwave
AF Newbie

Loud Tire/wheel Noise

I have a 325i, Run flat tires, 19,000 miles on tires. About a month ago, I started to hear a loud noise from the tires or wheels. The repair center, yesterday said that the tire pressure was low on all tires which caused the "tires to be feathered along the edges" which is causing this noise. The tires look great to me and with supposedly increase tire pressure, I still hear the noise. Can anyone comment on run flat tires? Will I need to replace them every 20,000 miles??? Can anyone comment on the noise or tires ??

thanks so much!
Cindy C
clcwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 04:28 PM   #2
OKCSuburban
AF Regular

Re: Loud Tire/wheel Noise

I have a 95 with regular tires.
The alignment was bad and I had a few tires get the edges tore up. After a while it started sounding like a mud tire on a truck. I replaced the tires and found a good alignment shop. No problems since.
Check out tirerack and see what they recomend for replacements. I like to read the surveys and feedback section.
Best of luck.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:49 PM   #3
Sergeia
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sergeia

It might be hub (wheel bearing) as well .
Sergeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 08:19 PM   #4
91HO305TPI
AF Enthusiast

im going to say your 325 is an 06 or new and if it is is wil have b-stone potenza el 42 rft tires p 205 55 r16 or 17 its a problem with the tires not alightnment of hub the tire are crap if the center wont try nad goodwill them for you then replacthem with a continental runflat tire there much better bmw know this is a problem but once over 10k miles its not there problem no tire warrinty. sorry.
91HO305TPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 09:20 AM   #5
jdv45
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by clcwave
I have a 325i, Run flat tires, 19,000 miles on tires. About a month ago, I started to hear a loud noise from the tires or wheels. The repair center, yesterday said that the tire pressure was low on all tires which caused the "tires to be feathered along the edges" which is causing this noise. The tires look great to me and with supposedly increase tire pressure, I still hear the noise. Can anyone comment on run flat tires? Will I need to replace them every 20,000 miles??? Can anyone comment on the noise or tires ??

thanks so much!
Cindy C
What was it sound like? hmm..
jdv45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 08:50 PM   #6
crwbaird
AF Newbie

Hey Guys
I have heard that some others have had this same problem with the BMW tires making weird noises, often after 10,000 km.
One link that came up for me was when I was researching it was www.bmwtirenoise.com
Hopefully you can garner some information from that site as well.
crwbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 02:41 PM   #7
silver007
AF Newbie

I have an '06 325i with the 16in run flats. They did not handle well, especially over rough areas on the roadway. At about 28,000mi the dealer said I would soon need new tires. I went to Town Fair Tire, where I had previously bought Toyos for my '95 325i and liked them. They noticed uneven wear on the outer portion of the treads on the front tires. The rear tires were still in pretty good shape. They did a 4 wheel alignment and put the better tires on the front and the car runs much better.

I asked about putting non run flats on and they said some people don't like the way they handle. They said I could try them and if I didn't like the handling I could buy the run flats. The run flats cost twice as much as regular tires, and, of course, it appears, will only last slightly more that half as long as regular tires. There is also an issue of whether run flats, with a flat, can or should be repaired.

Obviously, if you don't use run flats, you have no spare, unless you want to put a donut in your trunk; the extra storage space in the trunk as a result of no spare, is not large enough to hold a spare. If I went to non run flats, I would, in addition to my AAA membership, put a small air compressor and a flat fixer can in the trunk.
silver007 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series