Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 09:07 PM   #16
pr0tahn
AF Newbie

Angry me too

Having this problem with my 2 week old BMW 330i. Pretty much every morning.

The sales weasel didn't call me back today in all of the 8 hours he was at work when I left a message (didn't say what I was calling about). Funny how quick the response time changes...

Guess I'll have to put 'er into service :/
pr0tahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 09:54 PM   #17
holly
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to holly Send a message via AIM to holly Send a message via Yahoo to holly
Re: Re: 2003 BMW 325I Transmission problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg L
I have the same problem.
Did you get a new transmission or a whole new vehicle?

I'm having the same problems as everyone else here. My problems started back in June, a week after taking delivery of the vehicle. It took me 4-5 visits into the service dept for different attempts at fixing things, and finally last month they decided to put in a new transmisson.

Problem is, the vehicle still doesn't have the "feel" that it should when accelerating/decelerating. I'm sure the service rep thinks I'm just imagining it because of all the problems I've had, but as soon as I get in the loaner vehicle which is the exact same model, year, and similar mileage as my car, it drives like a dream.

Really ticks me off - the first couple years of owning a BMW should be pure pleasure every time you drive the vehicle - that's what your paying the $$$ for, and yet my entire first year has been a giant disappointment.

Coincidentally, my husband just took delivery of a new X3 a month ago -- guess what we took it into service for today -- yep - a new tranny !! The morning hesitation was waaayyyy more pronounced in his vehicle than mine - probably close to 15-20 seconds before it would go into gear. The dealer didn't even pretend to fiddle with anything - they just said bring it on in and we'll replace the transmission...

Never in our history of owning BMWs have we had this many problems.
holly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 05:24 PM   #18
chapola
AF Newbie

A new transmission for me. We'll see how this one works.
chapola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 10:09 PM   #19
TheScientist
Banned

Why don't you people try warming up your car first time you use it everyday for about 5 min, always allows everything to prepare for your trip. Let the clutch warm up, so it can release when it has to, instead of it being delayed, when you don't warm the car up.
TheScientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 11:03 PM   #20
Seattlebimmer
AF Newbie

Re: 2003 BMW 325I Transmission problem

Same problem after just 300 miles on my 2004 325. The BMW service department rep. knew exactly what the problem was before I had even finished decribing what happens. He admitted it was common. They replaced the transmission. Sounds like it's time for a recall on these.
Seattlebimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 06:00 PM   #21
AdLib
AF Newbie

Hi all
My brand new X3 has the same problem. I learned today that they will put in a new transmission when its arrives from Germany (or Austria). Would have thougth they might replace the whole car after only four weeks and 1200 km. What recourse do we have ?
Paul
AdLib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 10:44 AM   #22
pippo
AF Newbie

[Having the same problem with an '03 325; Morning hesitation. It happens whether i let it warm up or not. This morning, I let it warm up for nearly 5 minutes, and today's hesitation was one of the worst it's ever been. A new transmission has been ordered. We'll see what happens! It's funny when I back out of my driveway in the a.m.; I have to wave cars to go by me because otherwise, I see aggravated drivers in my rear-view mirror, wondering why my car's not moving. People probably think that I'm driving a manual, and don't know how to get it into gear, which is not the case...
pippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 11:38 AM   #23
mauiguy
AF Newbie

Aloha, as of yet I have had no such problem regarding the transmission. My 03 325CI is running perfect.
mauiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 04:26 PM   #24
TheScientist
Banned

Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car
TheScientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 04:32 PM   #25
steve1
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScientist
Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car, Warm Up Your Car
You know what, it doesn't matter if you warm up the car or not, it still does the same thing. I was told by the dealer not to warm the car up in the morning, I was told to start it and go, do not let it just sit there, there was no need. Besides, when you warm up the car, you are not warming up the transmission, the 3-5 minutes sitting there does nothing to inprove the transmission.
steve1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 04:49 PM   #26
chapola
AF Newbie

3 weeks since my transmission was replaced. No problem; runs great and hopefully that is the last of it. The work order stated the problem was due to internal leakage( in the transmission ). Whatever. This is a wide spread problem and is a quality assurance problem at BMW. Of course they won't admit this to be the case.

As for warming up your car. Well, Steve has it right. Our 13 year old scientist will learn about these things when he starts to drive.
chapola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 09:43 AM   #27
jcheung
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1
I was just wondering if anyone else is having the same problem. My wife stated that when she puts the transmission from reverse to drive. It does not engage for about 5 secs or longer. So if you went from reverse to drive and then give it gas, it will feel like it is slipping and then engages causing the car to jerk. She called the BMW dealer and was told that it is a computer problem but they have no solution to the problem? Does anyone know anyhting about this ?
I have the same problem. I took delivery of the car in June 2003 when the weather was warm and it was ok then. The problem started
in late Oct when the weather start to turn cold. I live in Toronto, Canada. Now, it happens every morning when I back out from my garage. Funny thing is, It only happens from reverse to forward. It is fine
if I started to go forward without going from reverse. And it only happened if the care is parked overnight. As soon as the car started
driving forward, as if by magic, it runs fine all day until the next morning.
I will talk to the dealer to see what they say.
jcheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 08:27 PM   #28
crash8168
AF Enthusiast

They are replacing just about all of those gm transmissions.
crash8168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 10:03 PM   #29
tintintin
AF Newbie

hello. Have read a few of the above posted messages regarding faulty transmissions in 3 series built in some period in 2003. I just purchased a new 2004 325xi. Had the transmission replaced (after much delibertation/arguing) with a BRAND NEW transmission, not a rebuilt one as was being forced by dealer. I am completely disappointed with this after waiting so long for finally being able to "own" a piece of German perfection.

My question: does anyone know what brand of transmission is in a 325xi when purchased brand new? I was told a brand new GM transmission replace the one I had orginally. But this sounds strange to me.
tintintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 02:16 PM   #30
Spodimama
AF Newbie

Lightbulb Re: 2003 BMW 325I Transmission problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1
I was just wondering if anyone else is having the same problem. My wife stated that when she puts the transmission from reverse to drive. It does not engage for about 5 secs or longer. So if you went from reverse to drive and then give it gas, it will feel like it is slipping and then engages causing the car to jerk. She called the BMW dealer and was told that it is a computer problem but they have no solution to the problem? Does anyone know anyhting about this ?
I have an '03 in the shop right now for the same trouble. It started out with the hesitation in the morning. Brought it to the dealer and they reprogrammed the computer....it worked fine for about a week and a half. Now they are repolacing the transmission. I should get it back tonight and will report back with the results.
Spodimama is offline   Reply With Quote