Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Accord/TSX/Accord Hybrid
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 09:58 PM   #1
dakomako
AF Newbie

Trouble Starting Up Honda Accord 2006

Hello,

I recently bought a 2006 Honda Accord ~142K miles. It had no issues until a couple of weeks after purchase. I hadn't driven the car for about 3 days and when I went to start it up, the car would not start. I thought it might be a problem with the battery, so I cleaned the slightly corroded electrodes and jump started the car for about 2-3 minutes, after which it started right up. Now, I just came back from a month vacation, and same problem occurred. I made sure the battery connection was good, jump started the car for a good 30 minutes (to no avail), even put another brand new battery in the car... it's not starting up. I don't think it is a battery problem, as my battery starts other cars right up, and tested good voltage at the mechanic. The starter turns over for 1-2 seconds after each jump start, then every consecutive time after that, when i try to turn on the key, there is a clicking noise and the starter does not turn over. I suspect there is a bad battery connection, as the + electrode was badly corroded, but then I'm confused as to why the internal lights/windows/headlights work perfectly after jump starting. It's just the car that would not start up... Thank you for any help

tl;dr: car doesnt start, battery is good, starter turns over for 1-2 sec after each jump start, internal lights and headlights work after each jump start. slightly loose/corroded + electrode.

Best regards
dakomako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 10:27 AM   #2
somick
AF Enthusiast

Re: Trouble Starting Up Honda Accord 2006

Make sure your battery terminals are in tight and in good conditions, I think you took care of this. Verify that you are getting 12 volts at the main starter terminal.

When you try to start the car does the tachometer needle move?

Good luck,
Sam

somick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 07:44 PM   #3
dakomako
AF Newbie

Re: Trouble Starting Up Honda Accord 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by somick View Post
Make sure your battery terminals are in tight and in good conditions, I think you took care of this. Verify that you are getting 12 volts at the main starter terminal.

When you try to start the car does the tachometer needle move?

Good luck,
Sam
I appreciate your response! The tachometer needle did not move, so I suspected it could be the starter. I thoroughly cleaned the battery posts and even replaced the "ring" that attaches to the positive terminal of the battery. It turned out that this wasn't the problem, so I decided to go deeper and actually replace the starter itself. Found out this was the cause of my distress. Although it took quite a while (~5 hours), the car now starts up perfectly with the new starter installed. Once again, thank you for the advice!!
dakomako is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
maintenance , problem , repair , starting
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Accord/TSX/Accord Hybrid