Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Taurus | Taurus Wagon
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 11:58 AM   #1
Callaband
AF Newbie

99 Taurus Rack and Pinion

This past week I found out that I needed a new Rack and Pinion for my car. The power steering fluid would randomly dump out. I would put new fluid in sometimes every time I drove it and sometimes every 2 weeks. Finally I dove into the project and changed it. From what I understand about changing the Rack and Pinion is the car "bleeds" its self by turning the wheel back and forth. So I did, for about 3-5 minutes and then drove about 50 miles. The car is steering good, but I just can't get the noise out of the system. The noise has decreased dramtically, but its still there every time I turn. When I'm driving straight it nearly goes away, but its always there. Also I noticed my "Service Engine Soon" light turned on after the change. How do I get the noise out of the system? and by changing the Rack and Pinion would that trigger the "Service Engine Soon" light?
Callaband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:15 PM   #2
way2old
TOKEN HILLBILLY

Re: 99 Taurus Rack and Pinion

Jack the front of car up off ground. Disable ignition or fuel system so the vehicle does not start. Crank engine over while turning steering wheel from lock to lock at a moderately slow speed. After doing this for about 10 to 15 seconds, place it on the full right stop and lock steering wheel. Leave car for a few minutes or until the fuzzy bubbles are out of the reservoir. Do same thing and leave locked to the left. Do this over and over until there is no more air in the system. If it still blows cap off after this bleed provcedure, it is sucking air in through the inner rack seal and the rack needs replced.

The sooner you fall behind the more time you'll have to catch up.
HEY Y'ALL--READ THIS
Here are some of our old vehicles for sale.

way2old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:39 PM   #3
mechhound
AF Regular

I assume you are using the recommended Power steering fluid, which I believe is still automatic transmission fluid which is thicker and I would think would have a more quieting effect than the stuff labeled POWER STEERING FLUID. Are you keeping the level of fluid up to the proper level? It usually goes down some at first as some small pockets of air are expelled. Just a couple thoughts.
mechhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:13 PM   #4
Callaband
AF Newbie

Thank you for responding. I went to Auto Zone (popular car place around me) and asked them to recommend a fluid.They gave me Valvoline Power Steering Fluid. I have been keeping a close eye on the fluid level and its at the correct level.

I will jack the front end of the car and try to get the air out of the rack by doing what you said. Thank you for replying to my post. I have been researching this for a while and had gotten no where.
Callaband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 02:13 PM   #5
Willyum
AF Enthusiast

Did you ever get this problem resolved? I have the same situation, replaced only the pump but the humming/buzzing sound remains no matter what I do. All-Data shows that there is a vacuum pump for the air removal procedure but I can't find it available to borrow at any parts store.
Willyum is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
noise , pinion , rack , steering , taurus
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Taurus | Taurus Wagon