Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Saturn > LS/LW
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 03:36 PM   #1
itaz
AF Newbie

Problem with fuse blowing

I just replaced the bar that attaches to the windshield wiper motor as mine broke. now everytime i turn the car on, even just to the acc position, it blows the wiper fuse. anyone know what would cause this and how I might be able to fix it?
itaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 01:47 AM   #2
sierrap615
Master Tech Wanna-be

Re: Problem with fuse blowing

i'm assuming you didn't replace the motor, you have a short, while in there working, did you mess around with any wires? a common failure is when people take on and off trim panels, wires will get pinched or whatever and will ground themselfs. if you own a multimeter or a test light, it will help you find the short, but since its just the wiper, it shouldn't be to hard to find. if the wires are fine, or you replace the motor, test the motor.
sierrap615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 08:55 PM   #3
itaz
AF Newbie

I did not replace the motor as of yet. Thats my next thing I'm going to try replacing that on Saturday. Just didn't want to spend the money if that wasn't it. I checked the wiring and can't find any of the wires pinched anywhere. How would I test the wires with a Test Light? Just touch each of the 4 wires and see which one is not getting power? One of them has to be a ground. Do you know which one? How do you recomend testing the motor?
Old 06-03-2004, 10:39 PM   #4
sierrap615
Master Tech Wanna-be

first, lets see if it the wire or motor, disconnect the harness that plugs in to the motor, and if you see any more harnesses down the line, disconnect those to, but only if your sure its not going to disconnect any other component. then put in a good fuse, if it doesn't blow, the problem is in the motor or in soming else you disconnected, if it does blow its somewhere down farther down. and i dont have a wiring diagram for the L-series, and i can't tell you where to look without one. but if you tell me the year and model, i can get one.
Old 06-04-2004, 07:23 AM   #5
itaz
AF Newbie

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. This is something that I tested when I was having all the problems with it. If I unplug the wiring harness from the motor and put a new fuse in. Turn the key and nothing happens. Does not blow the fuse. When I plug the wiring harness into the motor and have a new fuse in as soon as I turn the key it pops the fuse. Now the other thing that has confused me is the fact that I'm not even having to turn the windsheild wipers on and it pops the fuse. Pops it as soon as I turn the key to ACC position, as long as the wiring harness is plugged into the motor.
Old 06-04-2004, 07:24 AM   #6
itaz
AF Newbie

It is a 2000 LS. Would appreciate the Wiring Diagram if you could find one.
Old 06-05-2004, 09:39 PM   #7
sierrap615
Master Tech Wanna-be

i'll get the diagram on monday or tuesday. LS 100, 200 or 300? now i am really interested, the motor may use "Ground side switching" where the motor always recieves power, and the switch is somewhere on the negitive side. it sounds like the short is ether in the motor, switch, or in the wiring between. why did you replace the bar to began with? was it blowing fuses before?
Old 06-08-2004, 12:54 AM   #8
sierrap615
Master Tech Wanna-be

http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...00/ppuser/7049 look here for the diagram, i think the one named sowwfc will help you the most.

its not ground side switching,after looking at the diagrams heres what i would check: first grab another identical relay(the fog light or rear defros. may work, if your not sure, don't use it.) its not likey this is the problem, but its easy to check. next, check the motor. on the right hand side of the motor in the diagram there is a switch, it doesn't say what it does, but i think it tells the motor when the blade is down so the motor shuts off with the wiper out of the way. i beleave your problem is ether here or in the switch. keep in mind these drawing have a tendency to be off a little, normally they are fine, but i've seen a few with wrong colors, backward wires, ect.. so don't think they are set in stone. the reason i say this is that on the motor in the circuit diagram the wires are labeled A,B,C,D,F but in the connector diagram they are labeled A,B,C,D,E. so be warned. now, wires C and D, both yellow (HEADACHE!!!), one wire should go to ground, the other shouldn't, and they shouldn't connect to each other. i can see how if the connector was taken off, put back on with these two wires backwards it could blow a fuse, so C should go to the relay and D should go thru the Left IPFB and split off a few ways. so D should have power at the connector, but should not have a ground in the motor. if this doesn't fix it, then it most likey the switch

ok no more tpying for me now, if this doesn't fix the problem, let me know and i'll give you a few more ideas
Old 06-17-2004, 01:32 AM   #9
sierrap615
Master Tech Wanna-be

any news? i'm interested to see what happens.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Saturn > LS/LW