Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cadillac > Deville
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 07:20 AM   #1
gcloud
AF Newbie

Question 97 Deville - Center Digital Dash Does Not Display

Greetings - I have a 1997 Sedan Deville with a digital dash. Recently while driving the center portion of the dash went completely dark and has not come back on. The left portion that displays the AVG/EST MPG works as does the right side portion that displays the Climate Control temp and the outside temp. Another sympton is that the turnsignals physically work but the interior right and left indicators do not illuminate when the signals are activated. Also when switching from low to high beam the hight beam (blue) indicator does not come on in the center display, nor does the information bar at the bottom of the display. Probably just a coincidence, but this seemed to occur shortly after turing on the windshield wipers. There has been no mechanical or electrical work done on the car recently. I found a 10Amp fuse located in the trunk that the manual identifies as a link to this display, but it checked ok. Does anyone have any ideas for other areas or items that I can check out?

Thanks for the help.
gcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 08:54 AM   #2
caddydaddy
AF Enthusiast

Re: 97 Deville - Center Digital Dash Does Not Display

There could be an internal short in the dash. I'd suggest a service manual to trouble shoot, or a dealer for service. It is also possible, a power wire has come loose behind the dash.
caddydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 10:12 AM   #3
autolady
AF Newbie

If you have display on part of the cluster, it isn't a connector. It's an internal IPC problem and your instrument cluster will have to be sent out for repairs or an exchange unit may be needed. Good Luck!
autolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 04:28 PM   #4
Caddytech
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcloud
Greetings - I have a 1997 Sedan Deville with a digital dash. Recently while driving the center portion of the dash went completely dark and has not come back on. The left portion that displays the AVG/EST MPG works as does the right side portion that displays the Climate Control temp and the outside temp. Another sympton is that the turnsignals physically work but the interior right and left indicators do not illuminate when the signals are activated. Also when switching from low to high beam the hight beam (blue) indicator does not come on in the center display, nor does the information bar at the bottom of the display. Probably just a coincidence, but this seemed to occur shortly after turing on the windshield wipers. There has been no mechanical or electrical work done on the car recently. I found a 10Amp fuse located in the trunk that the manual identifies as a link to this display, but it checked ok. Does anyone have any ideas for other areas or items that I can check out?

Thanks for the help.
It sounds like you have a bad IPC (instrument panel cluster)
Caddytech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 08:55 AM   #5
DFBonnett
AF Enthusiast

If you decide to tackle it yourself, you might want to check with www.modelelectronicsinc.com for an exchange cluster.
DFBonnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 06:54 PM   #6
gcloud
AF Newbie

I want to thank those that responded to my original cry for help on the 97 Deville Center Digital Dash that Does Not Display. I found a replacement that when I installed and connected the 3-plugs does seem to work, but with one exception. I now get a message that reads on the info display "THEFT DETERRENT - IGNITION DISABLED - WAIT 3 MIN. Each time I retry to start the car after the 3 MIN the same message is displayed. If I replace the display unit with my original that does not display the center portion, the car starts immediately. Is there a sequence using the info center that I can reset this message to allow the car to start?

Thanks in advance for any information that I can use to complete this repair.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:07 AM   #7
DFBonnett
AF Enthusiast

DFBonnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 04:38 PM   #8
gcloud
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFBonnett
Thanks for the information. I checked them out and while they do seem to give a person a method of starting a car that has a malfunctioning passkey by inserting a resistor of known comparable value into the circuit. Unless I missed something in the articles I don't believe this will help me as my key does not seem to be the problem. As I mentioned when I replace my original digital cluster (that does not work) the car does not give any Theft Deterrent msgs and it does start immediately. Do you have any other suggestions or have I missed something in these articles that would tie the problem to the substitue digital clusterf?
Old 01-21-2006, 07:46 PM   #9
gcloud
AF Newbie

Smile Re: 97 Deville - Center Digital Dash Does Not Display

I just wanted to let everyone know the outcome of the repair to my Cadillac 97 Deville - Center Digital Dash Does Not Display opportunity. It has been about 2-weeks since I began this project which resulted in several replies on this forum that I have read and considered. While many may not consider following that path that I chose to take I will present it here for others with the same or similar problems to consider, since in my case it saved me a considerable amount of repair cost and did achieve solving my original problem. I did discover certain things in the process such as the fact that Cadillac seems to have tied their theft deterrent system to include the dash as well as the well know pass key that disables the ignition system if defective. My repair path which worked for me allowed me to retain the original automobile mileage, which in my case was only 60,700 miles on the odometer as well as not having to resort to the dealership or aftermarket add ons or modification to the system.

I found on e-bay a replacement 97 Deville Speedometer Instrument Cluster for a total cost that included shipping of just over $30.00. It was listed with an accurate and honest description stating a mileage of 149,000 along with the stock # and model number. As I mentioned in an earlier attempt to get assistance from this forum after installing it the display did work, but when I tried to start the car it gave the ignition disabled message. To solve this problem I disassembled my original unit and the replacement. If you do this you will find basically 4 assemblies with the rear case in which they mount. Since I only needed the center Speedometer readout section I used the one from the replacement Cluster and reassembled my original Instrument Cluster. It worked. I realize that my case may be unique, but I doubt it.

I have enjoyed the use of this forum and the advice of previous users that have helped me. Even if this repair had cost 5 times this amount I feel I came out ahead by saving money and learning more about the automobile. Also after reading hundreds or perhaps thousands of fourms I find that many leave the reader hanging - wondering the outcome of a certain problem. Feel free to contact me if you would like further information.
The Following User Says Thank You to gcloud For This Useful Post:
MuscleMustang96 (01-29-2013)
Old 09-15-2010, 02:40 PM   #10
jndnaps
AF Newbie

Anyone else try what he did? I have the same problem with my 96 DeVille. I found a 96 in the junk yard and I'm thinking of doing what he did. How much of the dash has to come apart to get to the cluster? I tried to start on the one in the yard and I broke the wood grain dash trim. I don't want to break mine too. Not sure what all has to come out to get to the cluster. Also, once I get at the cluster, does the center spedo cluster just unplug or do I have to do any soldering? I know this is 4 years old, but thought I'd ask.
jndnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:27 PM   #11
maxwedge
A990 racer

The cluster unplugs, I would suggest a factory manual here, or a subscription to alldata.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:19 PM   #12
MuscleMustang96
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to MuscleMustang96

gcloud, I must give you many many thanks for this thread! I had the exact same thing happen to my 97 Deville and was looking at a huge repair bill (249.00 for one place. 800-900 in another) I went and pulled the cluster out of a junk yard Caddy (1998) and just dropped the unit in and got the same starting disabled, remove key and wait 3 minutes. I did this several times before giving up for a while and calling a GM dealership here in Denver they wanted 95.00 to reprogram the new cluster to my car. Not all the expensive but I read your post and swapped the middle section of the cluster and everything works perfectly! So again gcloud thank you thank you thank you!
MuscleMustang96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:28 AM   #13
German Caddy
AF Newbie

Hi,

having the same problem, I bought a cluster from the junkjard.
After replacing the whole instrument cluster, I had the usual anti-theft-problem.

But then I just dissasembled my cluster and the raplacement and only changed the center speedometer readout sektion. It works! I didn need reprogramming oder the "turn ignition on, turn ignigion off every 3 minutes" procedere. Nothing, just turn the key and the caddy runs as usual.

Dissasembling the cluster is not a big deal, just a few (7 or 8 ) torx screws.

Sorry for my bad english, but I live in Germany.
German Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:05 PM   #14
maxwedge
A990 racer

Smile Re: 97 Deville - Center Digital Dash Does Not Display

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Caddy View Post
Hi,

having the same problem, I bought a cluster from the junkjard.
After replacing the whole instrument cluster, I had the usual anti-theft-problem.

But then I just dissasembled my cluster and the raplacement and only changed the center speedometer readout sektion. It works! I didn need reprogramming oder the "turn ignition on, turn ignigion off every 3 minutes" procedere. Nothing, just turn the key and the caddy runs as usual.

Dissasembling the cluster is not a big deal, just a few (7 or 8 ) torx screws.

Sorry for my bad english, but I live in Germany.
No problem with the English, just as good as some American posters. LOL
Old 02-26-2013, 02:09 AM   #15
German Caddy
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwedge View Post
No problem with the English, just as good as some American posters. LOL
I think I have a very good dictionary

I forgot to say that , when changing only the center digital display, even the original milage of my car was displayed.
I'm not shure, because I don't know the milage of the donator car. It would be a funny coincidence, if it had exactly the same milage like my DeVille .
German Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cadillac > Deville