Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Yukon
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 07:27 PM   #1
jhenry72
AF Newbie

2005 Yukon XL Not getting fuel pressure....

Hey All! I'm stumped..... I have a 2005 Yukon XL SLT and had a fuel pump start leaking at the bend of the pressure line. I dropped the tank, replaced the fuel pump (O'reilly autoparts. $279.99), ended up replacing the pressure line because I could not get the old steel line out of the plastic connector. After getting all the hoses reconnected and tank back in place, I only turned the key to the on position a few times to pressure the system and tried to start the truck, and it fired right up! Ran perfect! The wife took it to run a few errands then we took it later that evening to another store and still, no problems.... Next day, i went to run to the gas station and it was hard to start, had to pressure the system but only a couple times and it started up. I let it run a few minutes and all seemed fine. drove down the street and stepped on the gas and it seemed to like fall flat... wouldn't rev up. came home, left it sit a couple hours and tried to start it again, took me about half hour to get it started.... left it run for about 15-20 minutes, put it in gear to pull out of the driveway and as soon as i stepped on the gas it died. Now i cant even get it to start period. sounds like it wants to but just doesn't seem to have the fuel pressure... Any help, suggestions, would be Greatly Appreciated!!
Thanks, John
jhenry72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 08:38 AM   #2
brcidd
AF Enthusiast

Re: 2005 Yukon XL Not getting fuel pressure....

An amperage pull check and fuel pressure check are in order- You may have low pressure due to bad electrical connection- as in a bad body ground, or body to engine block ground. See if fuel pressure is low, and if so see if fuel pump pulls at least 6-8 amps or so-

I have had your exact issue- and as I was pumping out tank with questionable fuel pump "jumpered" to continuous 12v, to change fuel pump, I noticed rear tail lights were "dim"- without the light switch on-- seems the tail lights ground through the same body ground as the fuel pump- and the pump was seeking a return ground through the tail light bulbs. The problem was solved by finding the frame to body to battery ground, near engine, was rotted through.

The amp check led me to this- it was only pulling about 4 amps...
'99 GMC Yukon
'95 Chev 3500, 454 Dually Crew Cab- 145k miles-
Wife's Camel trailer puller.
'94 Astro- 370k miles
'94 Firebird Formula- 5.7L 180k miles- gone-
'92 Chevy Lumina Van 3.8L 264k
'86 GMC S-15 - 2.8L 154k
'87 Buick Park Ave . 187k
'86 Buick Park Ave 3.8L 199k miles- gone
'77 Chevy Vega- 2.5L 175k miles gone but not forgotten
'68 Camaro 396 4 spd RS/SS -72k miles-
brcidd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brcidd For This Useful Post:
jhenry72 (12-14-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 04:39 PM   #3
jhenry72
AF Newbie

Re: 2005 Yukon XL Not getting fuel pressure....

Thank you! I will definitely check that out. I as going to stop and pick up a fuel pressure tester today on my way home but, dang its cold out!! Windchill advisory goes in to effect shortly and tomorrow is only suppose to be in the single digits... This might take awhile... UGH....
jhenry72 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Yukon