Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Envoy
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 06:28 PM   #1
senrab
AF Newbie

08 Envoy No exterior lights

This is a 4.2L with just over 130k. I'm not sure it is all related but here's the story. My wife had trouble part of the time removing the key because it wouldn't turn back to the off position. I took the bottom off the column to expose the release (no hole in plastic case) so it is driveable. So I replaced the ignition module/switch and it didn't fix the key problem. I then removed the console and cleaned the little park solenoid, looked pretty clean. Now the key almost always comes out but there are no DRL or SWITCHed headlights. Neither the high or low and sometimes no parking lights it also sometimes doesn't kick the starter. So I have played with and reinstalled the ignition changing the gear cog with no affect on the lights. The fuses are all good but my fan is mech so I can't swap the HDM relay w the electric fan (from what I've read this is usually the low beams only). I can't say for certain she had lights before I replaced the switch but she believes it did. So my question(s). Does the ignition module affect the lights so the light switch doesn't work? Do I have more than 1 issue? Does the tumbler mech make any switches or just the module?
Old 08-09-2018, 09:23 AM   #2
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Re: 08 Envoy No exterior lights

Just to clear things up, you could not remove the key....when you took the lower cover off the column, and depressed the park solenoid, then you could remove the key? Did you check for battery power on the harness to the solenoid, with the vehicle in Drive and in Park?

Did you replace the lock cylinder or the ignition switch?

No, the lock cylinder has nothing to do with the lights, and neither should the ignition switch....

You should be able to just manually turn on your park or headlights with the headlight switch....

But this is not your ordinary system......the BCM is involved......the BCM receives input from the headlight switch and then grounds the respective relays....I doubt both of your relays went bad at the same time....now it's quite possible, both are bad, if your wife never used her high beams that much....and the headlamp relay is not the same as the hi beam relay...the headlamp relay has a logic circuit built into it....

What you can do is, put your hand on the park lamp relay and have someone manually turn your park lamps on at the headlight switch...same for HDM relay and have someone manually turn the low beams on......if the relays do not click, you either have a headlight switch problem or a BCM problem...
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tech II For This Useful Post:
senrab (08-24-2018)
Old 08-09-2018, 06:48 PM   #3
senrab
AF Newbie

Just to clear things up, you could not remove the key....when you took the lower cover off the column, and depressed the park solenoid, then you could remove the key? YES

Did you check for battery power on the harness to the solenoid, with the vehicle in Drive and in Park? I'm not sure where to check for power.
Not yet but it now releases the key 90% of the time and the solenoid clicks in and out with the key position.

Did you replace the lock cylinder or the ignition switch? Switch, no lock cylinder

What you can do is, put your hand on the park lamp relay and have someone manually turn your park lamps on at the headlight switch...same for HDM relay and have someone manually turn the low beams on......if the relays do not click, you either have a headlight switch problem or a BCM problem...
Mine has no park light relay so I am guessing the HDM handles that.
The HDM is not clicking so I have ordered that. The hi beams are working and I may not have checked that prior to my post.
It is 2 problems that just happened at the same time.
So it appears that the lights should work when I get the new HDM.

Which takes me back to the key problem. What components are involved? lock cylinder, park sensor on the shifter and ignition module.

Thanks for the help so far, don't want to put the column back together till the key works 100%
Old 08-10-2018, 10:06 AM   #4
Tech II
AF Fanatic

As you can see, the park solenoid gets it's power only when the park/neutral switch is in park.......

When the plunger does not move on the park solenoid when you put it in park, I would be checking both fuses for power with a test light....

Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 05:04 PM   #5
senrab
AF Newbie

Sorry for the long delay but I've been waiting on parts that weren't shipped, enough said. The headlamp relay finally was installed and the headlight issue is solved, Thank you very much. I've been watching it more and the key solenoid pops up n down when you depress the thumb switch on the shifter. I checked the fuses under the hood for voltage and when there is voltage the key functions normally but no voltage when malfunctioning. There appears to only be the three switches on your schematics. I didn't check the lower console switch for continuity when I had it out but it was clean. The brake lights work so that switch is good, where is the other switch or is it all part of the same unit?

Last edited by senrab; 08-27-2018 at 06:41 PM.
senrab is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Envoy