Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Intrigue
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 09:57 PM   #1
elsj
AF Newbie

01 Intrigue Start/Run Problems

To Start with end of February alternator went out and I replaced it and it has ran fine till about 3 weeks ago. It started and ran fine for about 5 minutes then it just died. It would crank but it had no gauges no lights no wipers no door locks. It just cranked and cranked. Had it towed. Called at the end of the end of the week and it was running just fine, all they did was turn the head light switch on several times and then the dash lit up and it started. Now it ran like this for over 2 weeks and it has done it again. I thought maybe the ignition switch so I got a new one BUT it tested for continuity the same as the old one, so I put the old one back in and now it wont even crank. With the key off and all accessories off the dash clicks. Turn the key on it stops clicking. If you turn on a blinker, four way or head lights it buzzes (with key on). The car has no interior light, door locks, head lights, no gauge activity....nothing. Check Engine light is on though.
Any help or ideas would be appreciated.
elsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:15 AM   #2
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Re: 01 Intrigue Start/Run Problems

What is system voltage at the battery, when you turn the key to on, and things start clicking?
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:44 AM   #3
elsj
AF Newbie

With key off battery voltage is 12.8. And the dash is clicking. Key on ? Voltage but the clicking stops. But with key on if you turn on blinker or 4 ways dash buzzes.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:51 AM   #4
Tech II
AF Fanatic

What is the voltage at the battery with the key in the crank position?

If voltage is over 12 volts, with the key in the "on" position, find all of your fuse blocks(there may be more than one).......now check every one of the fuses to see if they have power(use a test light......should be the same brightness when connected across the battery)......if you have several or more fuses with no power, then one of the circuits out of the ignition switch could be bad.....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:59 AM   #5
elsj
AF Newbie

I don't know the voltage with key on yet. I'm at work and won't be available to the car for a couple of days. Just trying to get ideas on what and where to check when I get home. I have thought about the possibility of a lost ground, dont know how that lines up with your thinking though. Thanks for the ideas though.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Intrigue