Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Saturn > LS/LW
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 08:44 AM   #1
levig
AF Newbie

Remote system locked steering

I have a third party remote start "Cool Start". Last week the doors unlocked while I was driving, and the "power steering" light lit up on my dashboard. I pulled over, stopped the car, restarted, and could not get the car out of park. Saturn said the steering was fine, and the remote dealer said there was no problem, although he willingly replaced my unit for free. I know the steering column of the 2004 Saturn is set up in a way that it is completely computerized, so there is NO steering if the electronics goes. Any ideas about what might have happened? Thanks
levig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 08:55 PM   #2
ponchonutty
AF Enthusiast

Re: Remote system locked steering

Cool start remote starters have a lot of faults. It may have triggered the car to shut off even though you had the key on. The electronics on these cars are very different from other vehicles on the market.
ponchonutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 10:51 PM   #3
levig
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Remote system locked steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponchonutty
Cool start remote starters have a lot of faults. It may have triggered the car to shut off even though you had the key on. The electronics on these cars are very different from other vehicles on the market.
Thanks, but what do you mean the electronics is different? Is the Cool Start totally unreliable? I'm not sure what I can do.
Old 09-02-2004, 11:29 PM   #4
sierrap615
Master Tech Wanna-be

Quote:
Originally Posted by levig
I know the steering column of the 2004 Saturn is set up in a way that it is completely computerized, so there is NO steering if the electronics goes.
are you sure? i can't beleave GM/saturn wouldn't put in a mechacial back-up
sierrap615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 11:53 PM   #5
levig
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrap615
are you sure? i can't beleave GM/saturn wouldn't put in a mechacial back-up
Yeah, I found that out when I had the remote start put in. Not something I feel good about. Is that only on the 2004?
Old 09-04-2004, 11:08 AM   #6
ponchonutty
AF Enthusiast

What I mean is that there are some little differences in the Saturn cars versus others on the market. They sometimes can be a little quirky but still a viable car for a remote start. Coolstart remote starters are on the lower end of the spectrum especially compared to those from Directed Electronics.
Old 09-04-2004, 05:18 PM   #7
sierrap615
Master Tech Wanna-be

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponchonutty
What I mean is that there are some little differences in the Saturn cars versus others on the market. They sometimes can be a little quirky but still a viable car for a remote start. Coolstart remote starters are on the lower end of the spectrum especially compared to those from Directed Electronics.
yes, keep in mind most of these remote starter kits are universal. for example, these kits are designed to work on everything from a saturn to a ferrari to a Alfa Romeo. it takes a minor gensus to wire those things up right.
sierrap615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 11:14 AM   #8
ponchonutty
AF Enthusiast

I remember back years ago when I was trying to get a job at an alarm shop. Seeing all those wires and relays needed to get a car to start or do anything you want. Man did that ever look like something I could never do!

Now, it seems as if I could do it with my eyes closed. I have gotten so familiar with cars that I try to do the impossible these days. Just like a few weeks ago a friend had a '00 Sunfire with headlights screwed up. You had no daytime running lights and no brights. All other lights operated fine. Come to find out that the lights are controlled through the instument cluster. They did not want to shell out big bucks for a cluster so I used some wires and relays and bypass it all. I had everything working as it should except I didn't get the DRL light that is in the cluster to light up.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Saturn > LS/LW