Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Saturn > LS/LW
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 11:38 AM   #1
gluegirl
AF Newbie

Question Catalytic Converter

The Saturn dealer is telling me that my 1996 SL2 is starting to need a new Catalytic Converter. I'm figuring if they are right I won't pass emissions in the spring when I am due to go. The part is $870.00 from Saturn so since I have 170,000 miles I am not planning on investing nearly $1,000.00 into this car. The dealer is telling me that 1996's and newer cannot use an aftermarket catalytic converter. Can anyone confirm this? Also, should I consider a used catalytic converter perhaps from a used parts dealer? If anyone else has had this issue with their car, I would love to hear from them. I recently replaced the muffler and that was when they realized the catalytic converter was going.
Thanks.
gluegirl
gluegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 05:50 PM   #2
socketz
AF Newbie

Sounds fishy.

Call your local muffler shop to confirm.

Try one of the reputable chain places like Midas/Mieneke.
socketz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 03:11 PM   #3
miamisl2
AF Newbie

read my reply in the sl section
miamisl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 11:06 AM   #4
gundogg13b
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to gundogg13b
Re: Catalytic Converter

when I had my car shipped to Germany I had to get a new cat and I got a aftermarket one, the guy at saturn is shafting you
gundogg13b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 01:15 AM   #5
sierrap615
Master Tech Wanna-be

keep in mind some states care more about emissions then taking drugs off the streets. 96 and later saturns have the OBDII, witch means there is a O2 senser in the cat, i don't know of any univerrsial cat with a slot for the sensor, if there are any they're rare. i have heard of people drilling in to the exhaust pipes, but i don't think most shops would do that (unless you have a buddy who can weld). also you can't get a used cat, used cat are illegal to sell, not even a junkyard will sell them. i got a new muffler and univerrsial cat for 94(older design) for about 350 at a shop, but with the OBDII i have no idea on price. on the other hand my univerrsial cat isn't a year old and its already going to the crapper.
sierrap615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 08:20 AM   #6
Stik2885
AF Newbie

I have a 96 SC 2 and i replaced the catylitic converter on mine. Call up a parts dealer in the yellow pages. Mine was a direct fit but there needs to be a little bit of cutting and welding, but it doesnt throw a check engine light so therefore a check engine light will fail the inspection.
Stik2885 is offline   Reply With Quote