Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 09:34 PM   #1
327chevy
AF Regular

Split cv boot repair kits

Are the split cv boot kits I see on the market any good?I guess there's a couple of styles,one bolts together and one glues together.I noticed on my 08 Silverado both my front shafts have ripped inner boots but luckily the shafts aren't making any noises yet so I may luck out and be able to get away with replacing just the boots.
327chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:28 PM   #2
Crvett69
AF Moderator

Re: Split cv boot repair kits

the split boots do work but often the axles have grit in them and its heard to clean it all out before you put the split boot on and repack with grease. usually the best bet is to just replace the axle itself but it does require more labor to put new one in
Crvett69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:58 AM   #3
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 327chevy View Post
Are the split cv boot kits I see on the market any good?I guess there's a couple of styles,one bolts together and one glues together.I noticed on my 08 Silverado both my front shafts have ripped inner boots but luckily the shafts aren't making any noises yet so I may luck out and be able to get away with replacing just the boots.
why did they rip ?

when these boots break too much best replace the axle. a small tear /crack boot replacing and adding some grease is good.. when the boot is removed this should be easy to figure out what need be done..
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:35 AM   #4
327chevy
AF Regular

Why did they rip?Well I assume it's because they rubber is rotted,the truck sits in my yard for 4 or 5 days at a time without moving,it's not a daily driver.The trouble is I have no idea how long they've been ripped and how much dirt is in the joints so I will most likely get a couple of shafts and just replace them.I don't want to have to do it through the winter which is when they will most likely fail.
What's a decent aftermarket replacement shaft for these trucks?
Old 09-01-2014, 08:44 AM   #5
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Why did they rip?Well I assume it's because they rubber is rotted,the truck sits in my yard for 4 or 5 days at a time without moving,it's not a daily driver.The trouble is I have no idea how long they've been ripped and how much dirt is in the joints so I will most likely get a couple of shafts and just replace them.I don't want to have to do it through the winter which is when they will most likely fail.
What's a decent aftermarket replacement shaft for these trucks?
my 2000 silverado has 150K plus miles on it. boots look real good. rubber should not rot in 6 years. could be you drove over some thing or perhaps brake fluid got on them or some other rubber damaging fluid ?

what does the boot look/feels like that, is different from a new boot ?

it is not normal for this to occur at this age..

I would get a local part store axle set , that has a good warranty..
Old 09-01-2014, 08:47 AM   #6
gmtech1
AF Enthusiast

I, personally, don't like the split boots, but that's just me. Like Vett suggested, I'd just replace the axles for what they cost. NAPA or O'rilleys axles will do just fine, just be sure to check the diameter at the axle where the output seal rides to be sure they are the same as original and not damaged.
gmtech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:07 AM   #7
327chevy
AF Regular

I know what you mean jCat by the fact that the rubber shouldn't have tore being only 6 years old and to make matters worse there's only like 95000 kms on the truck (57000 mls).I cant say as I didn't run over something somewhere and tear the boots but it's just a little odd that both inner boots are separated the same way,
Old 09-01-2014, 01:34 PM   #8
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
I know what you mean j Cat by the fact that the rubber shouldn't have tore being only 6 years old and to make matters worse there's only like 95000 kms on the truck (57000 mls).I cant say as I didn't run over something somewhere and tear the boots but it's just a little odd that both inner boots are separated the same way,
I have seen repair shops spray these boots ...could be they used the wrong stuff and caused the damage. I just keep my boots clean and do not use any chemicals/silicone on them..just use some soap if needed..

since both are damaged the same I doubt you ran over something.57K miles is new to me..

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado