Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-05-2002, 03:39 PM   #31
khrys771
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to khrys771 Send a message via Yahoo to khrys771
i have seen the SR20DET engines for under $3000
khrys771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 11:09 PM   #32
ImportFreak
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ImportFreak Send a message via Yahoo to ImportFreak
khrys771 i have seen the SR20DET engines for under $3000

where? and wit how many miles? they in pieces or something?

Club MWR [monkey wrench racing]/Member #0/Co-Founder

2003.5 G35 Coupe 6MT / Aero Pkg / Siliver / Premium Pkg /
ImportFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 11:16 PM   #33
khrys771
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to khrys771 Send a message via Yahoo to khrys771
khrys771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2002, 03:25 PM   #34
Morpheus XIII
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by gqmac2
The sad part is, now they are trying to come back, but the power is being neglected big time. One would thik the new ZX350 by Nissan would push at least 290, nope, its so far ranged at 260? WTF? On a car this heavy, I could beat it while riding a scooter. Others are victims, to, all in all, I am simply complaining but it really is becoming a problem.
Hmmmm... Motor Trend's sources state that the new 350Z's VQ35DE will have 280-290hp. The new Altima has 240hp and gets to 60mph in the 6-second range. Impressive for a family car. Now tack on 40-50hp, subtract the excessive weight of the massive family sedan, and you've got power equateable to the previous 300ZX twin-turbo's VG30DETT, but naturally aspirated (or maybe more). And all the extra torque from the big 3.5 liter engine can only help the 350Z be a more driveable car. Beat that in your scooter. Furthermore, there are some signs that a future turbo-Z model will enter the lineup, and/or a GT-R to be using a turbo V-6, or the Q45's V-8.

The same goes for the coming RX-8. The Renesis 13B delivers almost as much performance as the RX-7's 13B, but does it without forced induction.

Toyota is REALLY astir with rumors and concepts leaking out from here and there for their upcoming V-8 or V-12 GT beast.

We've already got the WRX with hopes for limited STi models, and the Evolution VII is en route, as well. Even though they are blown 4-bangers, aren't they a nice step up from the Eclipse/Talon days?

And these are just to name a few in each category. The automotive sports car slump has been over for a year or two now, and things really are looking up. Power tricks are cascading down even to lower end cars like the Celica GT-S.

Last edited by Morpheus XIII; 02-12-2002 at 11:16 PM.
Morpheus XIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2002, 02:04 PM   #35
gqmac2

To comment on your statements, apparent some of my email was left off. I finished with, I have no problems with Nissan coming up for a change, my only peeve is the new designs which are haboring to whiners of speed being bad and agility being good. The 350ZX IMO really sucks. But its sucks to the point that its all good. Instead of trying to go for a retro-active look, nissan should have used what they did in applying to the other vehicles. All I am saying (which I am entitle with no feedback or sass) is that the 350ZX is still heavy (the Altima can't be compare being the 350 is almost 4000lbs vs the Altima at 3500lb.) To be fair, you have good facts, but really think about the last 300ZX, it could have moved so much quick if it were not for the over weighing of it.
Old 02-12-2002, 05:27 PM   #36
Sanchi
Macadamia Nut Cookies

Send a message via AIM to Sanchi
question.... why is the 350zx heavier then the Altima???

:sun: :flash:
Old 02-12-2002, 06:49 PM   #37
Morpheus XIII
AF Enthusiast

EH?! The 350Z will not weight near 2 tons! That's Mercedes S-class territory.

Furthermore, the Altima 3.5 SE 5-speed weighs in at 3,178 lbs. a few hundred lower than your 3,500 lbs. estimate. The Z should be around the same. What makes you think it will be 500 lbs. heavier than the Altima? They share the same structure, same engine, and the Z has fewer components (i.e. rear seats, 2 more doors, etc.). Even Road & Track estimates the 350Z will have a curb weight of 3150 lbs.

This is about the 350Z at Nissan's corporate website:

The new 350Z(TM) represents nothing less than the birth of a totally new car that blends Nissan's sports car tradition with cutting-edge technologies and a fresh design. This 350Z embodies many new features for a sports car, all of which have been perfected to exceptionally high quality. At the same time, the 350Z embraces all of the essential Z® virtues: performance and handling, value, design, and durability. Highlights of the all-new 350Z include:

•24-valve, 3.5 liter DOHC V6 producing 280-plus targeted horsepower and 260-plus lb-ft of torque
•NDIS (Nissan Direct Ignition System)
•CVTCS (Continuously Variable Valve Timing Control System)
•6-speed close-ratio manual transmission or Electronically controlled 5-speed automatic transmission with manual shift mode
•Dual outlet exhaust
•Estimated 0-60 time of less than 6.0 seconds
•4-wheel independent multi-link suspension with use of lightweight aluminum components
•Available Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) and Traction Control System (TCS)
•Long wheelbase (104.3 inches) and wide stance
•Raised rear deck for enhanced aerodynamics

0-60 in under 6? Looks like Nissan made a Turbo Z without the turbo.
Old 02-12-2002, 11:34 PM   #38
Morpheus XIII
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by gqmac2
The sad part is, now they are trying to come back, but the power is being neglected big time. One would thik the new ZX350 by Nissan would push at least 290, nope, its so far ranged at 260? WTF? On a car this heavy, I could beat it while riding a scooter. Others are victims, to, all in all, I am simply complaining but it really is becoming a problem. There is a market that can now be dominated by Domestic cars, but these auto makers are too stupid to see it. All I can say if Ford is catching on quick with the Focus SVT, the 2003 Cobra mustang (its pushing 390HP ddddaaammmnnn), and of course the F150 lightning and Harley Davidson editions. Power is still a big part of the driving experience. Until foriegn automakers realize this and stop giving us the pussy cars, we will continue to see the import compacts getting tuned. ( IMO the best thing to do anyway.)
By the way, you said that I left out a part of your message...

...I left out the bold part because it was irrelevant to my point stating that the Z and other Japanese imports coming on the horizon are actually more powerful than you are saying.
Old 02-28-2002, 09:25 AM   #39
2002SpecV
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to 2002SpecV
AlL I have to say is will they support the Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V!? Because if not then screw NISMO!!
2002SpecV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 12:55 AM   #40
Morpheus XIII
AF Enthusiast

I don't think you've got anything to worry about; in many ways, the arrival of Nismo seems to revolve heavily around the introduction of the new SE-Rs. They've coincided at just the right time to make a strong impact on the consumers.
Old 03-09-2002, 06:53 AM   #41
Morpheus XIII
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by gqmac2 from Automotive Forums .com > Nissan > Nonspecific > 350zx on 02-13-2002 04:33 PM
well I stand corrected. I guess its not as heavy as earlier projections stipulated.
I think far too many people are becoming disillussioned by the fact that several upcoming Nissan models including the Z are going to be heavyweights simply due to the massive displacements. Remember, these are still not muscle cars; even the upcoming G35 is being hailed as an extremity in handling primarily with its front-midship rear-wheel-drive layout (FM). Nissan may have stumbled on its revival key yet.
Old 03-11-2002, 05:56 PM   #42
gqmac2

So what you are saying is that, Nissan basically trying to outdo the competition where the competition has not yet started to develop.
Old 03-13-2002, 03:52 AM   #43
Morpheus XIII
AF Enthusiast

Well, I tend to think that this decision by Nissan is essential to its survival in the industry, rather than it being a key role in any type of 'domination'. Nissan is barely hanging on by a thread, but their restructuring is helping themselves reconnect to this industry. Perhaps they are setting a new standard; perhaps they are entering forbidden territory. But to me, it only feels right that Nissan is boldly venturing blind into new automotive dimensons.

Basically, it's hard to see where they are going, but they seem to be doing something right.
Old 03-13-2002, 03:24 PM   #44
gqmac2

Good point. I see what you mean. Maybe NISMO will make a new industy standard for Nissan. From what I have seen, its like they have injected a shot of adreniline into their company. Who knows, pretty soon the Sentra may take over where the Civic has conviently left off.
Old 03-14-2002, 01:39 AM   #45
Holyterror
AF Enthusiast

The SE-R handles amazingly well. I could easily see it dethroning Honda's double wishbones for the next few years. I'm still waiting to see what kind of power can be pulled from the QR25DE, but even stock its a great street car. The Sentra's extra 2 doors (here in the 2+2 camp, we call 'em extras) put it in a position to steal customers from quite a few other cars. Now let's see what kind of parts Nismo gives us for the 350Z...

Member of AF's Slide Squad (Member #05)
Holyterror is offline   Reply With Quote