Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 11:02 AM   #1
Sal329
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Sal329
$5500 for a daily ride?

I have $5500 could probably go up to $6k. I am looking for something with good looks, reliable, good on gas and fun to drive. I will not mod the car much just little things like rims, cai, exhaust and some other minor bolt ons. I do not need the car to be super fast just fun on the highway and like stated above good on gas 24+ on highway. I have been thinking of a 93-96 Prelude, 95-99 Celica, just looked at the 95-98 200SE-R and also the eclipse. I will be starting a new job and driving 80 miles aday my current car will kill me on gas. Thanks everyone
Old 03-20-2006, 12:14 PM   #2
BP2K2Max
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to BP2K2Max
Re: $5500 for a daily ride?

i had a 96 200sx SE-R. it was a good little car, definitely quick. i think the prelude would probably be your best best though. i almost bought a 94 SH but ended up gong with a 95 maxima instead, which i think you should also look into, my 95 5 speed got about 25 mpg on the highway and the car was lots of fun to drive and very reliable.
BP2K2Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 09:07 PM   #3
zx2guy
AF Enthusiast

lets see... is there a year range?

personally, anyof these aint bad:
sport compact: latemodel caviliers, neons, or (03 looks best) zx2, or you could go for an early dsm (90 eagle talon tsi awd) < very good cars. the 1.8s are peppy, great handling. my old laser on 2 octane boosters got 50 mpg, and i could stomp most civics, and best of all they are cheap cuz they are old.
all of those get decent gas milage... even better if you like to drive stick.

rear drive midsize: (80s or 90s) older monte carlos (v6's), firebirds, camaros. older mustangs aint bad too... even better if you can find the factory turbo 4 cyl. (those are late 80's early 90's i think)

trucks: limited here : ummm s- 10's are nice... plus all the shit you can do to them rivals the civic and the mustangs. some toyota trucks (i esspecially like the small ones... a friend of mine gets 42 mpg)

midsize fwd: grand prix's and grand ams.... love those cars. just be careful with the dexcool stuff (IF YOU DONT KNOW ASK ITS IMPORTANT) avengers, stealths

there are more but these are just ideas... personnally if i were you ild find a project... one that you can do tinkering too. so in case you want to go beyond the cia, and exhaust.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:00 AM   #4
Sal329
AF Newbie

I really do not want to go messing with much of the car. Thats why I have my mustang. I am really just looking for the car that will get me good gasmilage 24+ on highway and is fun to drive. Thats why I am leaning towards the prelude and now the 200se-r.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:25 PM   #5
zx2guy
AF Enthusiast

well, at any rate , im sure youll pick out a good one. let us know though. i want to hear what you got cuz im goin to run into some $$$ in a few months and a little bit of it i want to spend on a 3rd car (next to my daily driver zx2, and my 73 cougar)
Old 03-24-2006, 09:15 PM   #6
kman10587
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to kman10587

I'd go with the 200SX SE-R, if you can find one. It's a bit lighter and peppier, and should get better gas mileage. The Prelude offers more in the way of performance, but you already have your Mustang for that.

My '05 Impreza 2.5 RS.
kman10587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 09:24 PM   #7
9ball
AF Regular

I'd get a Honda if you're putting that many miles a day on it. I don't like the crowd that thinks Hondas are for high performance, but I'll attest for their reliability and fuel economy any time. We had a 92 Civic hatchback for a long time and I was extremely impressed with that car as a daily driver. It just never breaks.
9ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 11:18 AM   #8
Sal329
AF Newbie

Dont really need a fast car but something that I wont problems passing people on the highway. The car will be stick, Im really considering the 200sx/se-r, 92-95 civic hatch si, prelude and talon/eclipse. Guess when I move and have the ful $$ in hand I will see whats available. Thanks evryone
Old 04-09-2006, 08:32 PM   #9
zx2guy
AF Enthusiast

ild say go for the dsm's (the talon tsi awd in particular) im a real fan of the early gen 1's w/ the flip up lights. and then im also a fan of the '99 model.

civics have a huge aftermarket. but those things are everythere. celica? those werent bad cars either.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons