Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Wheels/Tires/Suspension
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Wheels/Tires/Suspension All the handling help you need. No matter what Honda/Acura you drive.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 07:20 PM   #1
Red B16A
AF Regular

Unhappy bouncy ride

I've got a 95 civic dx hatch, and the car is really bouncy in the ride for some reason. Right now i have tokico illumina shocks all around and sone apc adjustible springs, but going to change to some H&R Race spring's hoping to get rid of this bouncing I'm haveing. I dont mind if it's stiff I just am tiered of hit a dip doing 80 on the freeway and nearly flying off the road. It's really bad, if you guys have any settings on the shocks you think would be good let me know.
professional products intake mani
68mm throttle body
ZR racing header
Handata s200
Password JDM intake
Red B16A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 11:01 PM   #2
cjcivic
AF Newbie

Re: bouncy ride

u can always get polyurethane bushings and some tie bars. that will most likely get rid of the bounce and give u great handling.
cjcivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 01:16 AM   #3
Gohan Ryu
AF Enthusiast

I've got my Illumina's set on 3 in the front and 4 in the back. When I'm gonna drive thru some twisties I set them to 4 in front and 5 in the back. 5 is the stiffest setting so I don't keep it there all the time.
Gohan Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 07:36 AM   #4
Volume_Civics
AF Regular

Those cheap ass APC coilovers are your problem. I had the same problem. The APC are just so damn stiff. Soon enough I got a set of Teins dress master, running on the same Illumina's. It made a sofer ride then what i had. You could save for a nice set of full kit coilovers (tein ground control, etc) Which provide the comfert and comtrol. Cjcivic is also right about installing new bushings and tie rods.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:51 PM   #5
CivicSiRacer
Civic Mod

Send a message via ICQ to CivicSiRacer Send a message via AIM to CivicSiRacer

Actually a bouncy ride comes from the shock not being able to control the springs or coilovers you have. I would guess (since it happened to me with the same shocks) is your shocks are worn out. My Tokico Illuminas with Skunk2 coilovers blew out the shocks within a year or so.

I have Koni Yellows now with Ground Controls for the past 3 years with no problems.
Buy my Civic parts!
CivicSiRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 11:58 PM   #6
BullShifter
AF Moderator

Re: Re: bouncy ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicSiRacer
Actually a bouncy ride comes from the shock not being able to control the springs or coilovers you have. I would guess (since it happened to me with the same shocks) is your shocks are worn out. My Tokico Illuminas with Skunk2 coilovers blew out the shocks within a year or so.

I have Koni Yellows now with Ground Controls for the past 3 years with no problems.

H&R RACE springs are very stiff which will result in a poor ride. Note the RACE, your best off not using them for street use. Depending how low you had those junk springs your struts might need replacement, anything more than 2" of lowering on the struts will junk them quick.

Another thing could be your car is lowered too much and riding on the bumpstops, wouldn't be the first time. Bump stops need to be cut in 1/2 and for 2" or more of lowering only a 1/3 should be used but don't be suprised when the suspension gets damaged.

This is why I ALWAYS say the lower you go the more you need spend.
BullShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 09:03 PM   #7
SilverY2KCivic
Cali Guy

Send a message via ICQ to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via AIM to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via Yahoo to SilverY2KCivic
Re: Re: bouncy ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcivic
u can always get polyurethane bushings and some tie bars. that will most likely get rid of the bounce and give u great handling.
Tiebars will do NOTHING for ride comfort and have nothing even remotely to do with that. They also won't help you much if any for handling either, that's what SWAYbars are for. Poly bushings won't help in this situation either.

The APC springs are your answer more than likely, unless you blew any of your Tokicos out.
All rights reserved... All BITERS served!

"The last time you had THIS much fun driving a car, it cost a quarter, and gyrated in front of the supermarket."

i have yet to see any well done imports around here. most are road toilets driven by some high school punk -Drift

hessemer69 on AIM
SilverY2KCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 11:24 PM   #8
Red B16A
AF Regular

shock's are not blown and I've only lowered the car maybe an inch for stock ride and the bump stops are cut in half already.
professional products intake mani
68mm throttle body
ZR racing header
Handata s200
Password JDM intake
Red B16A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 04:00 AM   #9
SilverY2KCivic
Cali Guy

Send a message via ICQ to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via AIM to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via Yahoo to SilverY2KCivic

It's the springs then I've be willing to bet. Once you get the H&R's it should be better, though not sure since you said you're getting the race spec which almost always is some fairly high spring rate which = MORE bouncyness. Generic coilover sleeves usually come with some super cheap high spring rate springs for some unknown lame reason.
All rights reserved... All BITERS served!

"The last time you had THIS much fun driving a car, it cost a quarter, and gyrated in front of the supermarket."

i have yet to see any well done imports around here. most are road toilets driven by some high school punk -Drift

hessemer69 on AIM
SilverY2KCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 11:44 PM   #10
prototype80
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to prototype80 Send a message via MSN to prototype80 Send a message via Yahoo to prototype80

cheap springs equal a terrible ride no doubt about it. i bought a set of number 1 coil overs from nopi back in 2003 and used them on my 99 civic, after 6 months they wouldnt even hold a setting and . i eventually sold the 99 civici got 92 now and have gotten tokico blue with the springs that match the shock strut set. much better difference even though tthe tokico springs rent as widely used

just another u.s. army paratrooper
prototype80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 01:23 PM   #11
90gs
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to 90gs

as said before, tie bars will not do anything for your bouncy ride.

the stiffness issue is with your cheap coilovers, although race springs wont likely be the ride quality of a mercedes either....
Old 02-15-2006, 11:05 PM   #12
eurobeaner
AF Regular

Send a message via MSN to eurobeaner

hey... what if you take the sleeve off a "coil over sleeve" set up($40 off ebay), and put some shortened h&r sports on there....? i kno the suspension wont have as much travel untill it bottoms out... but for someone on a budget, wanting a coil over, i think it could be done and have the best of both worlds... a good idea??? i think it wouldnt be bad... ill try it on a friends car first.......

if someone wants to try it, get the coil-over sleeves from someone who dont want them anymore, and some used springs, kinda needs to be an ok brand though-soft enough, but stiff, and not stock, cut the springs a little shorter than they are and stick them on the sleeves... you got a good ride, with adjustibility...
Energy Suspension Poly Bushings
15" black VSR's on nitto NT450 not-so extreme performance 205/50/15
CAI
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2489240/1
eurobeaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 11:21 PM   #13
BullShifter
AF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurobeaner
a good idea???