Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Contour
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 04:20 PM   #1
patrickkdunn
AF Newbie

Exclamation Check Engine Light

The check engine light on my car comes on intermittently. It typically comes on when I am runnin between 45-55 for an extended period of time (5-10 min) and it will stay on for a few min. then go off. I just recently had the alternator replaced but the light came on even before then. I haven't taken it to a dealership or mechanic yet because I really don't care to spend money for somethin i don't need.
patrickkdunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 04:58 PM   #2
pcv
AF Regular

You gotta get the car scanned to find what code is stored in the 'putor. That will give you a very good clue as to where the problem is. I suspect it is your oxygen sensor. Unattended, the vehicle will consume more gas than normal. Take it to autozone and get the codes pulled out.
Old 07-25-2003, 12:40 AM   #3
pre98zetec
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to pre98zetec Send a message via MSN to pre98zetec Send a message via Yahoo to pre98zetec
Quote:
Originally posted by pcv
You gotta get the car scanned to find what code is stored in the 'putor. That will give you a very good clue as to where the problem is. I suspect it is your oxygen sensor. Unattended, the vehicle will consume more gas than normal. Take it to autozone and get the codes pulled out.
thats exactly wat i was gonna say, happend to my car and on my moms contour GL , both were caused by the oxygen sensor. for now to get it off dissconnect your battery for about 10 seconds to reset it, or have autozine do it for u.
jsoh

96' Integra GSR / ITR cams/valvetrain. Skunk2 IM, Greddy evo2, AEM CAI, RMF Header, Megan testpipe, Hasport mounts, Eibach coilovers, Beaks tie bar, Megan H brace, Rota Attacks, F/R strut bar, Kirk 6 point cage, Bride Cugas, Takata 4 Point, ITR Steering wheel
98' SVT Contour, 3L Port-Matched swap with SVT cams/full bolt ons; 224fwhp.
01' Chevy Blazer, DD.
pre98zetec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 12:56 AM   #4
patrickkdunn
AF Newbie

I've also had a whirring sort of noise when the car is runnin at about 45 or so. It sounds like it's coming from the driver's side. Could that have something to do with the oxygen sensor also?
Old 07-25-2003, 01:11 AM   #5
pre98zetec
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to pre98zetec Send a message via MSN to pre98zetec Send a message via Yahoo to pre98zetec
Quote:
Originally posted by patrickkdunn
I've also had a whirring sort of noise when the car is runnin at about 45 or so. It sounds like it's coming from the driver's side. Could that have something to do with the oxygen sensor also?
wat engine do u haev the 2 liter or 2.5? and explain it a littl emore and i might be able to help.
josh

96' Integra GSR / ITR cams/valvetrain. Skunk2 IM, Greddy evo2, AEM CAI, RMF Header, Megan testpipe, Hasport mounts, Eibach coilovers, Beaks tie bar, Megan H brace, Rota Attacks, F/R strut bar, Kirk 6 point cage, Bride Cugas, Takata 4 Point, ITR Steering wheel
98' SVT Contour, 3L Port-Matched swap with SVT cams/full bolt ons; 224fwhp.
01' Chevy Blazer, DD.
pre98zetec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 10:54 AM   #6
patrickkdunn
AF Newbie

I've got the 2.5 L V6 engine. The noise only comes when the car is runnin about 45-55. And it sounds like a lot of air rushing through the engine. Hince the whirring sound that i get. And i'm curious if the check engine light might have something to do with that.
Old 07-25-2003, 12:03 PM   #7
beyondloadedSE
AF Ford Contour-Advisor

Quote:
Originally posted by patrickkdunn
I've got the 2.5 L V6 engine. The noise only comes when the car is runnin about 45-55. And it sounds like a lot of air rushing through the engine. Hince the whirring sound that i get. And i'm curious if the check engine light might have something to do with that.
Could be the 'infamous moosing' problem from the IAC valve. If its the same problem, it usually occurs on cold start up's and the rpm's usually bounce up and down until it stops.

"The CEG Nazi"
www.contour.org
1996 Ford Contour SE - Sold
3.0L V6 and Arizona Dyno Chip Turbo Kit
364 whp, 410 wtq @ 16 psi and only 4,700 rpms.
1999 Tropic Green SVT Contour - Bone stock and MINT
beyondloadedSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 11:24 PM   #8
patrickkdunn
AF Newbie

I haven't noticed any real changes in the RPMs... they run pretty steady idle around 900 or so. They peak at about 1200 when the car first starts but that is immediately after the start and settle down to 900. I didn't think of this before but I think it might be the Mass Airflow sensor. Because I noticed the noise after I changed the air filter. I had to remove the plug going to the mass airflow sensor to get the intake housing off and remove the air filter. My car has the circular SVT intake on it (cone filter). I'm wondering if the sensor may have got a short or is just going bad because it sounds like the car is either lettin too much air in or not enough air. And maybe that is what is doing it?
Old 08-13-2003, 05:36 PM   #9
AJ95377
AF Newbie

Angry Check Engine Light!!!

Contour ... bad news ....

I've had the check engine light illuminated for about 2 years now. I've had the oxygen sensors replaced twice on this car and now they need to be done again. I was considering NOT replacing them this time because it's expensive and irritating, yet I need to have my car smogged in order to renew my license plate tags. This was obviously a bad design and should be recalled or at least covered.
AJ95377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 11:55 PM   #10
glasser3
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to glasser3 Send a message via MSN to glasser3 Send a message via Yahoo to glasser3
Re: Check Engine Light

i dont know if this helps or not but my moms 96 was doing the same thing and we took it in and they said a sensor for the check engine light was bad and they replaced it and we didnt have any problem with it again. but now on my 98 im having the same problem again so i would say its definately a flawed design
glasser3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 09:01 AM   #11
Jason43
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasser3
i dont know if this helps or not but my moms 96 was doing the same thing and we took it in and they said a sensor for the check engine light was bad and they replaced it and we didnt have any problem with it again. but now on my 98 im having the same problem again so i would say its definately a flawed design

Those damn check engine light sensors.

1999 Ford Contour SVT
Jason43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 08:53 PM   #12
Turrry
AF Newbie

two words for Ford's and CEL's...

"Bulb amputation"

YMT-M

Current Vehicles:

1998 Contour SVT
Mods: BATS fully adjustable suspension package, B&M Short throw shifter, Borla Exhaust, European Ford Modena wheels

1969 SS/RS 396 Camaro Convertible
Mods: Nothing, slight restoration in progress.
Turrry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 09:37 PM   #13
beyondloadedSE
AF Ford Contour-Advisor

good to see that this is a 3 year old thread.

"The CEG Nazi"
www.contour.org
1996 Ford Contour SE - Sold
3.0L V6 and Arizona Dyno Chip Turbo Kit
364 whp, 410 wtq @ 16 psi and only 4,700 rpms.
1999 Tropic Green SVT Contour - Bone stock and MINT
beyondloadedSE is offline   Reply With Quote