Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Avenger
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 04:05 PM   #1
CKL272
AF Newbie

08 2.4l Avenger .Need Some Help

I just bought a new 08 Avenger SE, 2.4l a few weeks ago.
I noticed when I start it up for the first time after it runs for about 5 seconds I hear a clatter sound in the enginge dept. It sounds like its echoing in the exhaust manifold at the enging. The sound to me sounds like valve clatter. It lasts for about 5 to 7 seconds. I now have 700 miles on it. Oil level is fine.

I took it into dodge and they heard it and said its air echoing that there is a valve that injects air into the exhaust to heat the cats faster and it is completely normal. Im not so sure.

Any one else hear this noise or is it just mine. You cant miss it if your outside the car at start up after a few seconds. If others are doing it Im ok with it but if its only mine then.......

Anyone with a 2.4l check it out and let me know. It has to be the first start of the day. Mine doesnt do it any other time.

Huge Thanks to anyone that can test theirs and let me know!
CKL272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 05:01 PM   #2
psychofreak
AF Newbie

Re: 08 2.4l Avenger .Need Some Help

maybe its some kind of recall
psychofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 09:13 AM   #3
CKL272
AF Newbie

Re: 08 2.4l Avenger .Need Some Help

First I kind of feel a little stupid not to have known there are two different 2.4L engines in the Avengers. Guess I didnt do my homework well enough before buying. Im sure most of you probably already new this.

Here it is,,, I picked up my car yesterday and the Tech walked me through everything they did. They removed the manifold and did a cold start up and found the noise I hear is realy "AIR" being dumped into the exhaust manifold through that large silver silver check valve. It realy is.

Anyway to the point , I started another 2008 2.4L Avenger that I saw in the used section It was a Demo and it didnt make the sound, I opened the hood and it doesnt have the silver check valve. I do some research and there are two different motors, first the regular 2.4L and then the 2.4 L PZEV motor. The 2.4L PZEV has among other things an air pump that pumps air into the closed loop system and right into the manifold. The Air being dumped in for those few seconds is the cause.

So those of you that dont hear it have the regular 2.4L, and those of us that have the PZEV 2.4L do and it is normal.... Irritating but normal.
CKL272 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Avenger