Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Avenger
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 04:05 PM   #1
TxGrlLvsHerAvenger
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to TxGrlLvsHerAvenger
Exclamation $1,800.00 Later...!

WELL, I HAD THE TRANS REBUILT, IT COST ABOUT $1,800.00. I GUESS IT NEEDED IT SO I GOT IT DONE. 3 DAYS LATER, MY MUFFLER IS BLOWING OUT WHITE SMOKE. IT BEGAN AS A LITTLE, BUT NOW IT SEEMS LIKE MORE. I CALLED THE TRANNY DUDE AND HE SAID IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE TRANS, BUT IT WASN'T DOING IT BEFORE I TOOK IT THERE.HE SAID IT COULD BE CAUSED FROM THE MOTOR BEING TILTED FOR SO LONG.LEAKED MOTOR OIL AND IS BURNING IT. BUT WOULDN'T THE SMOKE COME FROM OUTSIDE WHERE THE OIL DROPPED ONTO AND NOT FROM THE MUFFLER?
PLS SOMEONE HELP !!!!!! UGGGG!

o0oTEXASBABYGIRLo0o
TxGrlLvsHerAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 09:19 PM   #2
growe58
AF Regular

Re: $1,800.00 Later...!

My sympathies.

The rule of thumb is blue smoke=oil, black smoke=gas and white smoke=coolant. Coolant being burned usually means a blown head gasket or a cracked head, neither of which are likely to be related to the transmission work (has the car overheated recently?). However the difference between blue and white smoke is subtle, so you may be actually burning oil. I think what the tranny guy was saying was that oil ran into the combustion chambers due to tipping and is now being burned off. How long have you ran the car since this starting happening? Are you noticing any unusual loss of fluids - oil or coolant? Does the exhaust smell of coolant? Does it go away when the car warms up? Also, do you have the V-6 or the 4 cylinder engine?
growe58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 01:43 AM   #3
TxGrlLvsHerAvenger
AF Newbie

Unhappy Re: $1,800.00 Later...!

HEY FIRST OFF THANX 4 HELPING ! IT DOESN'T SMELL OF ANYTHING REALLY, I GOT A SLIGHT WIFF OF PLASTIC BURNING THE FIRST 2 DAYS AFTER THE REBUILD,BUT NOT ANYTHING STRONG OR SINCE. I CHECKED THE FLUIDS, BUT NO LOSS IN EITHER ONE. THE SMOKE DOES KINDA SETTLE DOWN ONCE IT WARMS UP. WHEN I FIRST PICKED UP THE CAR IT DID IT CONSTANTLY, BUT NOW IT DOES IT WHEN IT'S COLD THEN IT STOPS, THEN WHILE RUNNING FOR A COUPLE OF SECONDS THEN IT STOPS. COULD IT BE THE GAS ? IT'S A V6 , 2.5 , 99' , APPX. 108,000 MILES. I RECENTLY CHANGED THE MOTOR OIL TO CASTROL* SYNTEC BLEND SAE 5W-30, BECAUSE I HEARD IT WAS GOOD FOR HIGH TRAFFIC AND HOT AREAS..AND I LIVE IN LAS VEGAS RIGHT NOW. NEVER HAS HEATED UP ON ME, I'VE DRIVEN MAYBE 50 MILES NOW. IF IT WERE A HEAD, WOULD I HEAR THE "KNOCKING" SOUND..? CAUSE I DON'T. IT DOESN'T MAKE ANY NOISES AT ALL.
THANX !

o0oTEXASBABYGIRLo0o
Old 11-01-2006, 09:18 PM   #4
growe58
AF Regular

Sorry for the late response. Based on what you're saying, I'm not hearing anything that would cause me to be too concerned. If it was my car, I would simply keep driving it, paying close attention to any loss of fluids, strange behavior or noises, unusual gauge readings etc. I suspect that the transmission guy was right and it's just taking some time for the oil to burn out of the combustion chambers and exhaust system. Keep you fingers crossed...
growe58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 01:32 AM   #5
TxGrlLvsHerAvenger
AF Newbie

WELL, THANX FOR YR ADVICE, I'LL KEEP A CLOSE EYE ON THE FLUIDS..!

o0oTEXASBABYGIRLo0o
Old 11-02-2006, 03:27 PM   #6
twiceasfastasyou
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxGrlLvsHerAvenger
WELL, I HAD THE TRANS REBUILT, IT COST ABOUT $1,800.00. I GUESS IT NEEDED IT SO I GOT IT DONE. 3 DAYS LATER, MY MUFFLER IS BLOWING OUT WHITE SMOKE. IT BEGAN AS A LITTLE, BUT NOW IT SEEMS LIKE MORE. I CALLED THE TRANNY DUDE AND HE SAID IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE TRANS, BUT IT WASN'T DOING IT BEFORE I TOOK IT THERE.HE SAID IT COULD BE CAUSED FROM THE MOTOR BEING TILTED FOR SO LONG.LEAKED MOTOR OIL AND IS BURNING IT. BUT WOULDN'T THE SMOKE COME FROM OUTSIDE WHERE THE OIL DROPPED ONTO AND NOT FROM THE MUFFLER?
PLS SOMEONE HELP !!!!!! UGGGG!
hope the guy who put in your tranny didnt cut any hoses or bang anything around!
as for having the motor tilting and oil burning to cause the white smoke, i wouldnt think that, like growe58 said, its usually coolant that causes that; my friend drives a beautiful 89 camaro chevy 305, and it ALWAYS shoots out white smoke upon starting up, he says its never been different, so i wouldnt worry about it either.
1999 BMW 323iS Turbo 2.5L Flat6 Black Coupe ~360bhp
(WRECKED!) 1998 Chevy Cavalier 2.2L RS
1992 Nissan 300ZX TT 3.0L V6 T-Tops Pearl White (SOLD!)
1997 Dodge Avenger ES 2.5L V6 SOHC (WRECKED!)
twiceasfastasyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 07:23 PM   #7
TxGrlLvsHerAvenger
AF Newbie

Well, It Keeps Doing It, But It Doesn't Really Have A Smell To It..that's What's Weird. My Coolant Level Is Normal And Well, It Has Never Overheated On Me Before. All The Gauges Are Normal, No Light Turns On Or Off, I'm Thinking Maybe When I Do A Tune-up I'll Go Ahead And Put In An Additive To Clean The Injectors. I'm Hoping The New Syntec Oil I Used Last Time Didn't Mess Something Up. Thanx Guys !

o0oTEXASBABYGIRLo0o
Old 11-02-2006, 09:08 PM   #8
twiceasfastasyou
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxGrlLvsHerAvenger
Well, It Keeps Doing It, But It Doesn't Really Have A Smell To It..that's What's Weird. My Coolant Level Is Normal And Well, It Has Never Overheated On Me Before. All The Gauges Are Normal, No Light Turns On Or Off, I'm Thinking Maybe When I Do A Tune-up I'll Go Ahead And Put In An Additive To Clean The Injectors. I'm Hoping The New Syntec Oil I Used Last Time Didn't Mess Something Up. Thanx Guys !
i would imagine the synthetic oil presents a much better lubricant than the cheaper stuff, and shouldnt cause any issues. in fact, it should last longer than the cheaper oil...
1999 BMW 323iS Turbo 2.5L Flat6 Black Coupe ~360bhp
(WRECKED!) 1998 Chevy Cavalier 2.2L RS
1992 Nissan 300ZX TT 3.0L V6 T-Tops Pearl White (SOLD!)
1997 Dodge Avenger ES 2.5L V6 SOHC (WRECKED!)
twiceasfastasyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 12:49 AM   #9
95_dodge_avenger
AF Newbie

dose the engine get hot, or overheat reslly fast, mine was doing that, and the smoke and everything, i was the head gasket, im just glad i fixed it before i damaged the head
95_dodge_avenger is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Avenger