Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jaguar > XK | XKR | XXR-S
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 02:54 AM   #1
johnc8117
AF Newbie

Timing chain?

Hi there

I have a 1997 XK8 that I have had for 4 years. On starting and initially setting off there has always been a very slight rattle. I didn't think much about this as it went within seconds. Normally I store the car over winter, but this year I'm driving it - I started it today and the rattle is there and it lasts a lot longer - it did go away, but my research leads me to think this could be a timing chain issue. Would this be right? Curiously, when I start up when cold the car also says low oil pressure until it is warmed up a little - not sure if these are linked. Anyone else had similar? I'm not driving the car until I find out what it is of course

Thanks for any help

John
johnc8117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 08:38 PM   #2
Jaguar D-Type
Banned

It is likely the timing chain or the timing chain tensioner. Take it to a local Jaguar dealer or repair shop.

The 2000-2002 XK8s had a better timing chain while the 2003 models have a much better 4.2 liter V-8.
Jaguar D-Type is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 01:04 PM   #3
christoba
AF Newbie

Re: Timing chain?

That tensioner is one of the biggest pieces of crap to ever be placed in an engine. Mine went out and sent a connecting rod in search of light. Anyhow, the simple fix would have been that they make the whole damn thing out of metal. Problem solved. Anyhow, its a cheap part and the piece of mind that comes with replacing it is certainly worth it, even if it isn't the big problem. After I replaced the engine and got everything working again, I would have some issues with a slight rattle when I started it up on cold days. It just took a few minutes of warmup to get the oil flowing and everything was golden.

Goodluck,
Chris
christoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 11:44 PM   #4
carstuffer
AF Newbie

bro, have you jag checked over a trusted local mechanic. yep it could be a timing chain or a timing chain tensioner. chances are, you need to replace them.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:56 PM   #5
danielsatur
AF Enthusiast

danielsatur is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jaguar > XK | XKR | XXR-S