Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Bronco
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 06:50 PM   #1
dustermaniac
AF Newbie

96 Bronco Starting Problems

I have a 96' Ford Bronco 5.8 EFI. The engine in this truck had a blown head gasket so I swapped it out to an engine from a 92' F-250 p/u. The old engine ran and started fine. When I swapped out the motor, I removed all the old EFI from the 92' block and wiring sensors etc and used all the sensors, intake, EFI, from the 96' which all bolted up to the 92' block. I installed the engine and it cranks when I turn the key and I can hear the fuel pump activate when I turn the key, however I cannot get this truck to fire. If I spray starting fluid into the EFI ports and turn the key to start, the truck will fire. I have changed the fuel filter along the frame rail and have verified that I am getting fuel at the check valve along the fuel injector rail.I cannot figure out why this engine will not fire on it's own. I believe the timing is proper as I lined up the TDC @ 0 degrees and pulled #1 plug and the piston is @ TDC and the rotor is pointing to #1 plug wire. I have a tester but the plug @ the EEC connector does not match up to the tester plug. Any help with this would be greatly appreaciated I have 2 manuals for this vehicle but as of now I am wracking my brain trying to get this truck running and the wife is ripping me about the truck not running. (it is her vehicle.) The engine I removed always started fine and the engine I purchased also started when I purchased it. I did have to swap out the crankshaft pulley and the crankcase sensor from the 92' and bolt up the pulley and sensor from the 96' because they are different. I believe that this should not be a problem however I am not sure. All the proper wiring, sensors, vaccum lines are connected properly. I must have gone over this at least 20 times.I did not mention this but this truck will only run when I spray the starting fluid into the EFI ports as soon as all the ether is everapoated the truck stalls and will not fire.
dustermaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 11:48 AM   #2
Firebait
AF Newbie

Re: 96 Bronco Starting Problems

Just read your thread! Sorry, I didn't read it sooner.

Are you still having the problem? Do you have a "Check Engine" light on? Did you check the fuses?

We're having a sort of similar problem with an '89 w/ a 2.9L that won't begin to fire when it's cold but runs GREAT when it's warm.

Normally, based on the two main signals from the ACT sensor and the MAP sensor to the ECU, it (the ECU) then determines how long the injectors will be open and where to position the Bypass valve which sort of acts as the choke.

You may have to check the continuity of each connection to the ECU with an Ohm meter to make sure you didn't break or cut a wire somewhere. If you have someone help you it won't take that long.
Firebait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 12:06 PM   #3
Firebait
AF Newbie

Hi again, I found this reply to someone elses starting problem. Hope it helps.

Check on the back side of the engine(I believe on the passenger side) for a ground wire. I believe it is the ground for the computer. It should go to one of the bellhousing bolts. I only know this after buying an 89 bronco 2. It would run very rich and had no power. I replaced all of the sensors and tried tons of things none of which worked. I only found it after the flexplate broke. I was reaching back to unbolt the bellhousing and found the wire. Someone had replaced the engine and forgot about the wire. I grounded it and it ran perfect after that. Hopefully it will help you
Firebait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 09:55 AM   #4
redraider28
AF Newbie

Hi,

I'm having the same exact problem with my 94 Bronco 5.8L 4x4. Can you tell me what you did to fix it? thanks
redraider28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 08:37 AM   #5
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

I think you need to check fuel pressure and check for power to the injectors.
Its possible you left something unplugged. The link shows a picture of the types of tools needed. Look at the first one then click on search and type in other number. You may have a bad pressure regulator.
http://www.autopart.com/tools/toolsmain/tool/T_3440.htm The other number is 3401.
You can check at your parts for the same type of tools. Just because the pump runs doesn't mean you are getting correct pressure.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Bronco