Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Camry/Camry Hybrid/Vista
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 10:23 PM   #1
harkauto
AF Regular

Dash Light question

I have a 1999 Toyota Camry LE 4Cyl with just a little over 200M miles on it.
The other day the little orange dash warning light came on that indicates a light is out on the rear end of the car.
Upon investigation, I discovered that in fact the rear window deck brake light was out as well as both of the license plate lights. I then replaced all three bulbs with new and much brighter LED bulbs which works beautifully.
Then, to reset the dash warning light, I did as I always have done in the past by disconnecting the negative battery cable and turning the ignition switch to the on position for 30 seconds or so. The next morning I started up the car and as I expected, the warning light was gone. However, as soon as I stepped on the brake pedal to shift to reverse I noticed the same warning light re-appeared. I then told my wife that I must be missing another burned out bulb somewhere on the car so between the two of us we checked and double checked but could not for the life of us find another burned out bulb. We checked all the signals, running lights, trunk lights, backing lights and found nothing.
I have tried manually cancelling this warning light again and again but it keeps re-appearing for some reason.
I notice when I first start the car this warning light is not there; and it stays off until I put my foot on the brake pedal to shift into reverse to back out of the garage. As soon as I touch the brake pedal the orange warning light suddenly appears and stays lit until I turn off the car; and then re-appears again the next day when I first touch the brake pedal.
All of my lights are working just fine, but this warning light continues to re-appear every day.
I appreciate your thoughts.
Thanks
harkauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 03:43 AM   #2
brcidd
AF Enthusiast

Re: Dash Light question

My thoughts---LED lights draw a whole lot less amps then incandescent bulbs. So how do you think the car knows when a bulb is burnt out in a circuit? How about by measuring amps? in the individual circuits? I will bet that if you put OEM bulbs in the circuit, that all will be fine. But if you really like LEDs, then change them all, then buy a resistor kit, or a variable potentiometer, and wire it into the circuit and experimentally determine what value resistance shuts the light off on the dash.....Basically fooling the circuit into thinking it has incandescents, while you thrive in the LEDs.

Just my thoughts....
'99 GMC Yukon
'95 Chev 3500, 454 Dually Crew Cab- 145k miles-
Wife's Camel trailer puller.
'94 Astro- 370k miles
'94 Firebird Formula- 5.7L 180k miles- gone-
'92 Chevy Lumina Van 3.8L 264k
'86 GMC S-15 - 2.8L 154k
'87 Buick Park Ave . 187k
'86 Buick Park Ave 3.8L 199k miles- gone
'77 Chevy Vega- 2.5L 175k miles gone but not forgotten
'68 Camaro 396 4 spd RS/SS -72k miles-
brcidd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brcidd For This Useful Post:
Brian R. (02-28-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 12:04 PM   #3
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

Send a message via Yahoo to Brian R.
Re: Dash Light question

I think brcidd hit the nail on the head.

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate"
Brian R. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brian R. For This Useful Post:
harkauto (03-05-2019)

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Camry/Camry Hybrid/Vista