Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Escape | Maverick | Escape Hybrid
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 04:48 PM   #1
dylanborns
AF Regular

"Hot" smell and light smoke...

'01 V6 122k miles. I've been having an issue that past few weeks with a "hot" smell after driving that kind of smells like burning rubber. Its noticeable around the hood, but not in the cabin. Today, when I pulled in the garage, I noticed a really faint, light smoke coming from the grille. I opened the hood, but couldn't trace the smoke back to anywhere because it was so light, and once the hood opened it dissipated. I felt all hoses and wires and nothing feels hot that shouldn't. My coolant is fresh, full, and the temp gauge never goes high. I don't think it has anything to do with overheating, but I'm not sure.
The only changes I've made lately are the two rear bank O2 sensors, and new plugs and coils. I don't think I had this smell/ smoke before I did any of that.
I don't see any hoses or wires that are coming into contact with the rubber belt on the front of the motor.
I know its hard to diagnose with this small amount of info, but does anyone have an idea of what I could look for?

Thanks
dylanborns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:19 AM   #2
65comet
AF Enthusiast

Re: "Hot" smell and light smoke...

Contact your Ford dealer and have the VIN ready. There are a couple of fire related recalls that you might not have gotten a notice about. They will tell you if they apply to your vehicle and if history shows those problems were already fixed.
After that and they say the recall doesn't apply, I'm going to ask if it happens when the headlights are on? The bulb connectors are famous for coming loose, especially the top middle wire, shorting and melting the plastic and the connector.
65comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:10 PM   #3
dylanborns
AF Regular

I know about the recalls you are talking about and they've been done on this vehicle. This happens anytime I'm driving whether the lights are on or not. And it is a hot rubber smell compared to an electrical smell.
I thought about getting a digital thermometer but I don't know if that would tell me anything. Could the belt be an issue or maybe something the belt is turning that is frozen? I would think I would have squealing if that was the case.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:45 AM   #4
65comet
AF Enthusiast

There is a anti-freeze hose that is pretty close to the front exhaust manifold. You can't see it from the top. It is really a rubber elbow between two metal tubes. From underneath it is about 6 to 8 inches from the center line toward the drivers side, very close to the engine, and I'd say about 8 inches up from the bottom line of the radiator.
65comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:08 AM   #5
dylanborns
AF Regular

I'll take a look at that today, thanks!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Escape | Maverick | Escape Hybrid